Author Topic: Will Nintendo Switch pass PS4/XB1 or will it fall short?  (Read 2401 times)

rayne315

Re: Will Nintendo Switch pass PS4/XB1 or will it fall short?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 03:39:28 pm »
XBONE: maybe. Hell, I'd even say probably if the Switch can maintain its current momentum for a couple more years.

PS4: Possible, but I doubt it. The PS4 has been absolutely dominating this last gen, and given it is the system of choice for the COD and Madden crowds it will likely continue to be the console of choice until a more powerful alternative from Sony gets released.

I was thinking about something recently and i'm not sure if anyone ever thought about it or if it's right or not.   But I was wondering on how Sony outsells Nintendo with their global software sales by a large margin, it's done so mainly with 3rd party games.   PS4's top 5 games for sales each year are typically GTA, NBA 2K, Madden, COD, FIFA.   Those games are 3rd party published, developed and cosigned.  So sony must make minimal on each ducat.   While Nintendo's 5 best selling games are all Nintendo 1st party games published by Nintendo so they must maximize their earnings right? Isn't it kinda like a independent artist makes more from their record than an artist under a label who takes portions for themselves?  But I don't know how the 3rd party thing works.   I think with a game like COD,  Sledgehammer takes a chunk, than Activision takes a chunk,  than it trinkles down and Sony might get 10 percent off each game.      Every game Nintendo sells sony has to sell 5 because Nintendo would have less hands in the cookie jar per say.     It's overlooked but maybe someone can weight in and tell me if i'm wrong :).     

well then...
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

51 of the top 100 best selling games of all time are Nintendo published games. 55 of the top 100 best selling games are on Nintendo consoles.

the top 100 games collectively sold ~1,491,270,000 copies worldwide. of those ~1.5 billion sold titles ~958,060,000 are on Nintendo consoles. with ~940,630,000 being directly made/published by Nintendo.

again that is only factoring the top 100 games sold by platform, looking through the next 100 Nintendo still consumes about 2/5ths the list and Nintendo consoles make up about half.

people underestimate Nintendo. im personally a sony fan boy but I will not lie those numbers are just astounding.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:41:30 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »
It's like comparing apples to oranges.  You don't judge a fish by how well he can climb a tree.

spac316

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 08:22:12 pm »
It certainly is doing better than XBox One...in Japan, lol.
I don't think the Switch is gonna surpass the competition, but it seems to be doing good, all things considered.

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 08:57:11 pm »
In terms of priority, Microsoft places Japan in the third world category. Xbox has and will continue to do poorly in Japan. Without a doubt Switch will beat them in Nihon-koku.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 01:22:02 pm »
I don't see why anyone other than Ninty diehards would care about the Switch at this point, or ever. Heck, I love Nintendo and my enthusiasm for actually getting one is almost non-existent.

Being that Sony is seemingly bowing out of the handheld space, Nintendo has the entire handheld market and soon there won't even be a prominent 3DS push, just the Switch.  It might not have the power of the other consoles, but the handheld part is pretty significant especially if they can continue to get better third part support like they have with Bethesda.

The Problem with relying on the handheld space is that, it is getting squeezed with by the iphone and Android markets. I have  a feeling that unless you can make phone calls from your switch it will have a hard time surviving in the long run.

rayne315

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »
I don't see why anyone other than Ninty diehards would care about the Switch at this point, or ever. Heck, I love Nintendo and my enthusiasm for actually getting one is almost non-existent.

Being that Sony is seemingly bowing out of the handheld space, Nintendo has the entire handheld market and soon there won't even be a prominent 3DS push, just the Switch.  It might not have the power of the other consoles, but the handheld part is pretty significant especially if they can continue to get better third part support like they have with Bethesda.

The Problem with relying on the handheld space is that, it is getting squeezed with by the iphone and Android markets. I have  a feeling that unless you can make phone calls from your switch it will have a hard time surviving in the long run.

eh its a problem a lot of people ignore. they think that  handheld consoles need to become phones but the same argument can be said for phones. that they need to become controllers. the simple fact of the matter is that the 2 markets are actually very different. the only games that can be played on phones are ones with very little actual button control (casual games in other words) because you essentially only have 2 possible buttons on a phone, anymore and trying to do things in the game reduces visibility to the game itself.

anything that is more complicated and requires more than 2 buttons for a user to effectively manipulate the game is required to be on a handheld system because you have those buttons, bumpers, joysticks, and do not have to cover X% of the screen with your thumbs to play it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 03:09:36 pm »
Touch screens suck for controls, plain and simple. Until that gets fixed, I will never move to my phone for gaming. My 3DS and GBA SP still get heavy use.