Author Topic: Which genre of games do you play the most of?  (Read 1617 times)

Which genre of games do you play the most of?
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:31:00 pm »
Which video game genre takes up the most of your gameplay time lately? :)

I went on my Xbox One and calculated my most played genres based of the time I put into each game and these are the total allotted time in each genre of game.

Racing games -  23 days, 8 Hours
Shooting games-  35 Days, 16 hours
Sports games - 44 days, 6 hours
Platformer/Adventure games-   7 days, 17 hours

Surprisingly Sports game are my most consumed game.  Mostly because of NBA 2K which is really addictive in the My park modes.  But shooters are pretty close too.   And also this is only Xbox so my time on Nintendo would heavily favor platformer and racing games. Xbox is more of a sports and shooters console. :)

Which game type do you play the most?  :)

Warmsignal

Re: Which genre of games do you play the most of?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:44:13 pm »
Def action/adventure or platform. I would like to get back into racing games again, but don't know where a good place to start would be.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:53 pm »
I assume shooter is my most played genre as it's something I'm always playing.  Following that, probably action/adventure games.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:32:52 pm »
Can't really guess what the order would be, but the top 3 would be:

RPG
Strategy
FPS

Most played game overall (with recorded playtime) would be Team Fortress 2, which is sitting at around 1,600 hours of game play. Super Smash Bros. Melee and Fallout 4 come in distant 2nd and 3rd with 600 and 450 hours respective playtime.

Sports, particularly simulation sports would definitely be at the bottom though, as I dislike the genre for the most part.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:13 am »
I'm not sure I try to play a lot of different types of game but based on what i've played this year

10 GTA-likes type of open world
15 Action-Adventure
10 Sport games
8 Fighting games
3 RPG
9 Platofromers

the other game are hard to put in a category but i'd say I don't really have a particular type of game I play more

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:40:04 am »
I generally lean towards 2d and 3d platformers/collectathons (we could definitely use more these days) as well as puzzle games and some hack and slash games. I'm also a big fan music games as well as obscurer games with unique gameplay such as the Trauma Center and Bit.Trip series.

Of course anything pretty doesn't hurt much to get.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:08:06 am »
The Xbox One tracks time played per game?  I gotta check that out if so.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48:28 am »
1. rpg
2. Fps
3. Action adventure

kashell

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 09:09:06 am »
Three letters, my friends.

RPG.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:41 am »
This year has definitely been the year of the SHMUP for me. At least half the games I've sunk series time into and beat have been SHMUPs. But aside from that I like to play a lot of arcade ports because they are quick, fun gaming experiences for someone that does not have a lot of spare time, but still wants to play games. After that I'd say I play a decent amount of FPS and Action games since they generally don't take more than 10-hours or so to beat. Sadly one genre that I put the least amount of time in these days are RPGs. I used to be a HUGE RPG guy, but over the past 10-years I feel like I've played fewer and fewer of them since they are a huge commitment timewise. I also feel like if I go more than a week without returning to an RPG I started, especially if I'm in the first ten hours or so of them game I will likely not return to it. I don't think I'll ever be able to thoroughly enjoy RPGs again until someday when I retire, assuming I am lucky enough to be able to retire.

ferraroso

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 11:02:31 am »
As a genre, I would say fighting games. I've been pretty busy in the last months, so it has been a while since I've dedicated myself to any game, but I try playing Street Fighter II on the PC Engine or some SNK brawler for a few minutes every couple of days.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:23 am »
J/RPGS are what I mostly play, and for a reason; I love them.
Currently Playing
Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Persona 3/4/5

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 11:16:07 am »
The Xbox One tracks time played per game?  I gotta check that out if so.

Yes :D If you go to achievements and click on an individual title it tells you time played as well as your rank among your friends in terms of achievements and other progress.  It's a pretty neat feature. Some games even show how you fair against your friends with in game stats like how many cars you own or how many kills you have. :).   

telly

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 11:40:06 am »
I'd honestly say that I really don'y play one genre over another. I've been playing a lot of platformers lately with Shantae, Mighty no 9 and Shovel Knight, but that's it. There are genres that I don't play, but looking at my beaten games list, I'd say it's a pretty even distribution.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

azure

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 01:32:02 pm »
Probably RPGs for me.