Author Topic: Some gems you have in your collections  (Read 4676 times)

sworddude

Re: Some gems you have in your collections
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:58 am »
Sadly I sold most of my gems over the past few years. It is fun to own them for a day or two and then they just sort of blend in with the rest of your collection. I've never been one of those collectors whose ego is tied in with how valuable this game is or how many games they have in their collection. It was always about owning a specific game because I thought it looked fun regardless of how much it was fetching in Ebay. Funny enough, one thing I have learned over the years is that often these rare "gems" aren't nearly as good as many of their more common, cheaper contemporaries. There are definitely exceptions to this, but often those games that sold millions and are just about everywhere for cheap are the best games you will ever play. But yeah, if you're primarily concerned with rare, valuable gems there are plenty to be had and I definitely have owned quite a bit since I began collecting.

who ever said that these rare gems were the best games no one. Everyone always looks at the expensive games but forget that many great games are easy to find and very affordable.

Besides many of the expensive games can be played on cheap compilations easy example is megaman wich has many even on the ps4.

Or why bother buying snes versions of king of dragon knights of the round and captain commando wich would cost you an arm and a leg when you can get the capcom classics collection vol 2 on the ps2 or xbox.

Not to mention the ports on this collection are arcade perfect unlike the snes versions wich lack the power for arcade perfect ports, in a collecting standpoint it is kinda neat that such awesome games had a standalone release in the first place but they are way to hard to get.

Same can be said for many nes games and obviously for the neo geo systems.

It's nice to have but in the end all such games can be emulated for free and with some additional purchases also experienced on the big screen with the correct controllers.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

ferraroso

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 11:56:07 am »
I'm heading back to Tokyo in January and you know ill be game hunting again ::)

I believe it is pretty difficult to find good deals in Tokyo, but if you ever come some city in the Tokai or Kansai areas, just let me know. I may be able to give you some hints (and maybe introduce you some good stores around here).

ferraroso

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 12:11:36 pm »
If you take only the price that these items have on the market, I would say that the biggest gem of my collection is Rockman X4 Special Limited Pack for the Saturn.

If one is to look at the rarity of the item, maybe it would be the Super Famicom's Game Processor RAM Cassette that I ended up getting without even knowing what it was.

But if I take into consideration only my personal attachment and the love I have for this game, I guess I must say that Ikaruga for the Dreamcast is my biggest gem.

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 01:27:26 pm »
Thrifting can be a good way to find some rare and gem items that you never see. Several of the items I am about to list, I have seen once, or only a few times in my life (And these are just the very big/rare finds), so I had to buy them for the ridiculously low price.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Gamecube - $5
Team Buddies - Playstation - $3
Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Complete in Big Box) - $5

Now, being the big fan of the Gamecube that I am, will occasionally shell out some money to pick up some extremely rare titles. For example, last week I saw Skies of Arcadia: Legends for $80. I had to get it, it was the first time I had ever seen it in person. Also, several years ago, I saw an Australian version of Pokemon Box for $65 on eBay. I had to get it, it was the first time I had seen the Australian version, and I have never seen another listing like it.

A lot of things do happen by luck or chance though. Right place, right time kind of thing. It's all about being ready, so that when those times come, you can get the game you want.

azure

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »
I have the Sonic Gems Collection on GCN, does that count?

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 01:47:37 pm »
Great deals on eBay? Hah! No, that's never happened to me. Gems in general, I dunno anymore. I have SwordQuest Water World, for Atari collectors that's a gem. I have a Vectrex, that's kinda cool.

fair enough, but I'm just saying this since there are some collectors who aren't to bright and buy a new copy just because the plastic case has some minimal damage.

Contents could be pretty excellent or mint also the box inlay, can easily be replaced with an excellent case of a cheap game.

Not sure if you're talking about modern games or not. When it comes to Wii U, or PS4 I'd rather buy a new copy for condition purposes but even then, often the covers have damage. It's very hard, especially with a PS4 game, to get one where the cover hasn't be pressed into the case and creased which looks really bad. PS4 game cases suck. I'm contemplating selling some of my creased up ones and re-buying the whole game just to get better ones. 3DS doesn't have this problem fortunately.

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 01:56:59 pm »
Sadly I sold most of my gems over the past few years. It is fun to own them for a day or two and then they just sort of blend in with the rest of your collection. I've never been one of those collectors whose ego is tied in with how valuable this game is or how many games they have in their collection. It was always about owning a specific game because I thought it looked fun regardless of how much it was fetching in Ebay. Funny enough, one thing I have learned over the years is that often these rare "gems" aren't nearly as good as many of their more common, cheaper contemporaries. There are definitely exceptions to this, but often those games that sold millions and are just about everywhere for cheap are the best games you will ever play. But yeah, if you're primarily concerned with rare, valuable gems there are plenty to be had and I definitely have owned quite a bit since I began collecting.

who ever said that these rare gems were the best games no one. Everyone always looks at the expensive games but forget that many great games are easy to find and very affordable.

Besides many of the expensive games can be played on cheap compilations easy example is megaman wich has many even on the ps4.

Or why bother buying snes versions of king of dragon knights of the round and captain commando wich would cost you an arm and a leg when you can get the capcom classics collection vol 2 on the ps2 or xbox.

Not to mention the ports on this collection are arcade perfect unlike the snes versions wich lack the power for arcade perfect ports, in a collecting standpoint it is kinda neat that such awesome games had a standalone release in the first place but they are way to hard to get.

Same can be said for many nes games and obviously for the neo geo systems.

It's nice to have but in the end all such games can be emulated for free and with some additional purchases also experienced on the big screen with the correct controllers.

Tell that to the people paying $150+ for Earthbound even though it is $10 on the WiiU VC or those who acquired the rom for free. People gloat about rare and valuable games regardless of how they've been ported or made available on the internet. And I never implied that rare = good, but often expensive, rare games are expensive because of perceived quality or others saying how great they are. Imagine what would happen to the value of a game like God of War if only 20k copies were produced. Compilations and ports do very little to stroke the egos of collectors who have to have the most expensive, rare version of a specific game, which feeds into its value.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 02:00:49 pm »
I collect to play. I'm not one looking to have a complete set or the rarest of the rare. That said, I do have a few because I actually wanted to play them:

I think the biggest one, for me, is Mega Man Legends 2. I bought a beat-up copy for $50, and got it resurfaced for $3. It goes on eBay for about $100 (at the time, I'm not sure anymore).

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 04:05:06 pm »
When looking through Ebay or other websites and see something rare at a reasonable price, you jump on the opportunity and buy it. A gem added to your collection adds value and glamour to any assortment of items. Any gems you'd like to share and talk about proudly, or ae hoping to gather up?

I have a sealed Zelda Four Swords adventure big box set with GBA adapter for gamecube sealed NIB in VGA gradable condition which is probably my rarest gem.  I usually buy common games though.  Not many are worth a lot or rare but most are fun and from my childhood.  :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:06:43 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:56 pm »
While I've got quite a few rare games for the Gamecube, I wouldn't really consider them gems in my collection, more just a bunch of good games that I liked.

No, if I had to pick the item in my collection that sets me apart and won't be found in many other collections, it'd be my retail displayer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. For being a cardboard shelf designed to be thrown away after a few weeks of use, it has stayed in wonderful condition over the last 9 years. And while I don't have 20 copies of Brawl to use it for it's original purpose, it still makes an excellent holder for the games I'm currently playing. I also used to have a life size Kratos standee from a God of War III promotion, but he was destroyed due to a basement flood.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 04:35:30 pm »

fair enough, but I'm just saying this since there are some collectors who aren't to bright and buy a new copy just because the plastic case has some minimal damage.

Contents could be pretty excellent or mint also the box inlay, can easily be replaced with an excellent case of a cheap game.

Not sure if you're talking about modern games or not. When it comes to Wii U, or PS4 I'd rather buy a new copy for condition purposes but even then, often the covers have damage. It's very hard, especially with a PS4 game, to get one where the cover hasn't be pressed into the case and creased which looks really bad. PS4 game cases suck. I'm contemplating selling some of my creased up ones and re-buying the whole game just to get better ones. 3DS doesn't have this problem fortunately.

Old games ps1 ps2 gamecube you name it

as far as your condition issues go, yes you are right, especially when a case is damaged for ps2, wii gamecube xbox and the genesis/ megadrive the cover has a high risk of being damaged or pressed but this is fortunately not always the case.

Ps1 and dreamcast etc plastic cases low chance thanks to the nice protection of the cases even when damaged.

In my opinion even with disc based games It's especially the boxes (inlay) wich are the hardest things to get in excellent condition not to mention if the cover sticks out and slides against something leaving you with some white scuffs.

and if your only into truly mint stuff your just hurting yourselves since even factory sealed stuff can have these issues It's super hard to find something truly mint, you need very deep pockets and allot of time to achieve that, I would not like to be that guy and I'm not only talking about money purposes since the real bad part is having a very high ocd rate.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:13:39 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:38 pm »

Old games ps1 ps2 gamecube you name it

as far as your condition issues go, yes you are right, especially when a case is damaged for ps2, wii gamecube xbox and the genesis/ megadrive the cover has a high risk of being damaged or pressed but this is fortunately not always the case.

Ps1 and dreamcast etc plastic cases low chance thanks to the nice protection of the cases even when damaged.

In my opinion even with disc based games It's especially the boxes (inlay) wich are the hardest things to get in excellent condition not to mention if the cover sticks out and slides against something leaving you with some white scuffs.

and if your only into truly mint stuff your just hurting yourselves since even factory sealed stuff can have these issues It's super hard to find something truly mint, you need very deep pockets and allot of time to achieve that, I would not like to be that guy and I'm not only talking about money purposes since the real bad part is having a very high ocd rate.

Yes, nowadays when I buy a new game, even a sealed up one I inspect it first for damage before buying. There's no reason why you should have to accept banged up new products, but it's something to watch for now.

pizzasafari

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 08:58:20 pm »
Proudest item in my collection is my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, it's in very very good condition, managed to get it in an ebay auction for about £180. Was EXTREMELY happy about that.

I don't have all that many other games that are especially valuable but there are a few games I'm personally happy to have. Most recent would be Persona 2 Eternal Punishment on PS1 which is probably one of the more valuable games I have anyway but being an American release it's harder to get here in the UK so I'm pretty glad to have it. Love me some Persona.

I've got a really unusual big box limited edition of Final Fantasy 8 on PS1 too, I had no idea it existed until I stumbled across it on ebay, it's my favourite game so I bought it in a heartbeat. To this day I can't for the life of me work out what value it has, I can find barely any information out about it online and sales of it that crop up online seem to go for wildly different prices every time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:02:18 pm by LeJason »

robertoman

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 09:47:55 pm »
I got a complete copy of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for around $15 for the Wii not thinking much of it at the time. It wasn't until years later until I noticed how expensive and rare the game was one. It's also a great game too and I played the crap out of it back then.

Other than that I don't really have any gems in my collection maybe with the exception of Sonic CD. I only have the disc for it though.

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 12:38:03 am »
My Copy of Project Justice, Tech Romancer, and Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves is likely the pride of my collection. They are CIB with flawless cases and discs.

Lunar 1 and 2 for the PS1 are also cool and CIB but the boxes are just toast. Vanguard Bandits and Elemental Gearbolt are CIB and very minty. Alundra 1 and Thunder Force V are loose but they were cheap and they work.

Last is my Sega Genesis CD 32X. Just having the voltron of gaming assembled and working is pretty cool. I guess I can add Kolobri and Knuckles Chaotix to the list. Even cart only they aren't easy to get and the carts I got are nice and clean.
That said I have some fairly rare stuff for Saturn but it's because I cheaped out on loose discs.
Albert Oddessry, Dragon Force, Mega Man X4, Legend of Oasis, and Marvel Super Heroes. Night Warriors is box and CD only.

At the end of the day I just want the game in good working order and so a lot of my games are loose, incomplete, or have label damage.