Author Topic: Some gems you have in your collections  (Read 4560 times)

Some gems you have in your collections
« on: September 14, 2017, 05:29:18 am »
When looking through Ebay or other websites and see something rare at a reasonable price, you jump on the opportunity and buy it. A gem added to your collection adds value and glamour to any assortment of items. Any gems you'd like to share and talk about proudly, or ae hoping to gather up?

Re: Some gems you have in your collections
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:35:54 am »
The first one I'd found was Metroid Prime Trilogy back when it had rose up in popularity. At the time, it was pricey, and when I finally haggled the price down to $50, my eyes were gleaming for a week for finally tracking one down. Other items are anything I was able to come by on Club Nintendo. It's a shame it closed down, since I don't exactly buy digital titles anymore, so the current My Nintendo program fails to concern me. A few literal gemstones don't hurt to sprinkle around shelf space either.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:40:53 am »
Don't have a big collection these days, so my only real gem would my Legend of Zelda NES boxed.  Bought that at a game store awhile back.  My other might be my Breath of the Wild Master Edition and the giant deluxe strategy guide which is the single biggest book I've ever owned.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:12:32 am »
I don't really have any, usually I buy my game used for less then 15$ except if I buy them when they come out or not long after they came out.
The most i've payed for a game tho is probably like 100$ for Shenmue on the Dreamcast!

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:22:10 am »
Don't have a big collection these days, so my only real gem would my Legend of Zelda NES boxed.  Bought that at a game store awhile back.  My other might be my Breath of the Wild Master Edition and the giant deluxe strategy guide which is the single biggest book I've ever owned.

Woah that's a big book. Do you read and study it, or do you leave it unopened and undisturbed for condition reasons?

I don't really have any, usually I buy my game used for less then 15$ except if I buy them when they come out or not long after they came out.
The most i've payed for a game tho is probably like 100$ for Shenmue on the Dreamcast!

I've been doing that a lot lately when I realized that my collection wont grow if I stress over peak condition. I figured I could play them now, and then swap out dirty and broken cases later instead of looking for (expensive) perfect copies.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:29:53 am »

I've been doing that a lot lately when I realized that my collection wont grow if I stress over peak condition. I figured I could play them now, and then swap out dirty and broken cases later instead of looking for (expensive) perfect copies.

People do not pay insane amount just because those perfect copies have perfect cases. Most people do swap them cases out and pay a premium for empty excellent condition boxes.

Box Inlay's manuals and discs can be in a not superb condition, a case can be broken while the content is excellent but this is not always the case far from it box inlay's could be damaged with a broken case etc etc wich is a good reason to upgrade a copy since those things can not be fixed or replaced without getting another copy.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 07:53:05 am »

People do not pay insane amount just because those perfect copies have perfect cases. Most people do swap them cases out and pay a premium for empty excellent condition boxes.

Box Inlay's manuals and discs can be in a not superb condition, a case can be broken while the content is excellent but this is not always the case far from it box inlay's could be damaged with a broken case etc etc wich is a good reason to upgrade a copy since those things can not be fixed or replaced without getting another copy.

Personally as long as the box is in a correct shape i'm alright with it, i don't even really care if it has the manuals in it, hell if it's not a disc i'll probably won't even have a box (snes,n64...) because it's just too much money. I'm a player first more then a collector so i'd rather buy more games in ok conditions than less games in perfect condition =)

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:28:01 am »

Personally as long as the box is in a correct shape i'm alright with it, i don't even really care if it has the manuals in it, hell if it's not a disc i'll probably won't even have a box (snes,n64...) because it's just too much money. I'm a player first more then a collector so i'd rather buy more games in ok conditions than less games in perfect condition =)

fair enough, but I'm just saying this since there are some collectors who aren't to bright and buy a new copy just because the plastic case has some minimal damage.

Contents could be pretty excellent or mint also the box inlay, can easily be replaced with an excellent case of a cheap game.

Only for gameplay your right lose, incomplete is the way to go or emulation  ;)

CiB in very nice shape is the way to go for me though, i have so many games to play these days I don't mind getting a game way later than getting it in a deal lose.

As far as modern games go, to expensive for my taste, with the exception of smash bros that's a must buy on release for me personally.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:31:10 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:53 am »
The only games I have that are rare are clock tower 1 and 2 for ps1 and car battler Joe for gba
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:25:29 pm by 98dgreen »

telly

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:44:52 am »
I guess I would say the two LRG games that I have. I don't have a whole lot of super impressive stuff though  ;D
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 10:05:57 am »
I've got lots... I've gotten a lot of deals over the last decade and a half. 

I'm probably most proud of my Panic Restaurant I found for $3.  Deals like that don't come around too much anymore.   

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 10:08:06 am »
For me, I consider the games and merchandise I have that I never knew existed to be gems.

So mostly imports and swag.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 10:11:38 am »
Sadly I sold most of my gems over the past few years. It is fun to own them for a day or two and then they just sort of blend in with the rest of your collection. I've never been one of those collectors whose ego is tied in with how valuable this game is or how many games they have in their collection. It was always about owning a specific game because I thought it looked fun regardless of how much it was fetching in Ebay. Funny enough, one thing I have learned over the years is that often these rare "gems" aren't nearly as good as many of their more common, cheaper contemporaries. There are definitely exceptions to this, but often those games that sold millions and are just about everywhere for cheap are the best games you will ever play. But yeah, if you're primarily concerned with rare, valuable gems there are plenty to be had and I definitely have owned quite a bit since I began collecting.

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 10:37:47 am »
I'm not the sort of guy to try and compete a certain consoles library or only consider the expensive games the better ones in my collection. I buy games and merch that i enjoy and have enjoyed!  :)

I think one of my latest purchases that I'm chuffed about it a Japanese boxed version of Chrono Trigger. Just something about that game! I'm heading back to Tokyo in January and you know ill be game hunting again ::)

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 11:00:12 am »
The Judge Dredd demo cart for Genesis is probably my big one for that collection.
For computer software, there are so many things it is impossible to put them all.