Author Topic: Some gems you have in your collections  (Read 4633 times)

insettasport

Re: Some gems you have in your collections
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 12:47:09 am »
I don't really ever collect games because of the rarity. I collect them if they look interesting to me. But, one that comes to mind is auto modellista on Xbox as it is supposedly rarer, even if I prefer using the PlayStation 2. According to a quick glance over eBay, it's selling for US$15-$30, but I got my copy earlier in 2017 for US$6.99! :D There's probably some other rare games in my collection, feel free to thumb through (even though you may be browsing on a computer) to see if I'm sitting on any gems and don't know it. I don't have all of the purchase prices listed on them yet, though. Some of them had the price tags removed and or receipts lost long ago, unfortunately.

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 05:26:49 am »

fair enough, but I'm just saying this since there are some collectors who aren't to bright and buy a new copy just because the plastic case has some minimal damage.

Contents could be pretty excellent or mint also the box inlay, can easily be replaced with an excellent case of a cheap game.

Not sure if you're talking about modern games or not. When it comes to Wii U, or PS4 I'd rather buy a new copy for condition purposes but even then, often the covers have damage. It's very hard, especially with a PS4 game, to get one where the cover hasn't be pressed into the case and creased which looks really bad. PS4 game cases suck. I'm contemplating selling some of my creased up ones and re-buying the whole game just to get better ones. 3DS doesn't have this problem fortunately.

Old games ps1 ps2 gamecube you name it

as far as your condition issues go, yes you are right, especially when a case is damaged for ps2, wii gamecube xbox and the genesis/ megadrive the cover has a high risk of being damaged or pressed but this is fortunately not always the case.

Ps1 and dreamcast etc plastic cases low chance thanks to the nice protection of the cases even when damaged.

In my opinion even with disc based games It's especially the boxes (inlay) wich are the hardest things to get in excellent condition not to mention if the cover sticks out and slides against something leaving you with some white scuffs.

and if your only into truly mint stuff your just hurting yourselves since even factory sealed stuff can have these issues It's super hard to find something truly mint, you need very deep pockets and allot of time to achieve that, I would not like to be that guy and I'm not only talking about money purposes since the real bad part is having a very high ocd rate.

Yes, nowadays when I buy a new game, even a sealed up one I inspect it first for damage before buying. There's no reason why you should have to accept banged up new products, but it's something to watch for now.

I'm talking about damage wich is really hard to notice unless your really picky and your really looking for it, not damage such as dented corners on a cardboard box of a collectors edition wich is easy to notice.

Banged up products as you mentioned should have some fairly easy to notice amounts of damage even if it's minimal but I'm talking about very minimal wear if your really looking for it you will even see this on new products it's very hard to get a truly perfect one. And for older stuff truly perfect is nearly impossible wich is the main reason for my explanation.

But your right about inspecting new products if you very unlucky the box inlay is dented to the point that sometimes it's even teared and even if not it doesn't look nice. Or that people went through it with a knife on the sides.  ???
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:17:28 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

tripredacus

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:28 am »
If one is to look at the rarity of the item, maybe it would be the Super Famicom's Game Processor RAM Cassette that I ended up getting without even knowing what it was.

That's my favorite way to get something. Something I don't know about and get to look it up online or ask others what it is.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 01:41:26 pm »
I don't actively collect games for the rarity, I'm in it for the games. Anything I have that is rare/valuable was either originally bought by me at retail or bought from Funcoland in the early 2000s, before prices really got out of control.

Probably the most valuable game I own is Clay Fighter 63 1/3 Sculptor's Cut, which I bought at my local Blockbuster when they were purging their older games. I got SNES Captain Commando, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, and Dracula X from Funcoland. I bought King of Dragons at retail but I had no idea the value had gone up until I read this thread  :o

Then there's the usual suspects: Mega Man 1-8, Mega Man X 1-3, Castlevania Chronicles, SOTN, every numbered Final Fantasy released in the US (except the MMOs and XV, which I haven't bought yet). Nothing too fancy.

I did own Path of Radiance but I sold it a few years ago. I don't regret it because we needed the money, but sometimes I do wish I had held onto it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:44:50 pm by undertakerprime »

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 05:08:19 pm »
I don't really care about the rarity or the value of the games i have, i only get the games that i want to play when i find them cheap but if i think about the value my mind directly go on the PS1, the French version of Suikoden II can easily go for more than 150€ even in the cheapest shops i know and if the release of Star Ocean 2 on PSP made the price of the PS1 version drop a little it still usually go for more than 100€ (since the EU release of the PSP version was only in English, the only official French translation, even if it is a really bad one, is still the PS1 version), that's all concerning the value but if i think about rarity, i think the rarest would probably be the Pal French variant of Ar Tonelico 2 on PS2, that game didn't a lot of release in Europe and it was a nightmare just to get one on release in some country, i was on a French forum at the time and i heard that only 800 unit of that game was going to be released in France (box and manual in French, the game was still in English), i don't know if it's true but what i know is that in 8 years of game hunting i've seen that game a lot of time, 99% of the time it's an English variant, i've seen two German and one Italian variant but the only French variant i've seen in all these years is the one i have in my collection, maybe i have other gems on my shelves maybe not, i don't really know and... well, i don't really care either, maybe i fear that the value would incite me to sell them...  :-\
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:11:42 pm by metshael »

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 05:43:58 pm »
I don't really care about the rarity or the value of the games i have, i only get the games that i want to play when i find them cheap but if i think about the value my mind directly go on the PS1, the French version of Suikoden II can easily go for more than 150€ even in the cheapest shops i know and if the release of Star Ocean 2 on PSP made the price of the PS1 version drop a little it still usually go for more than 100€ (since the EU release of the PSP version was only in English, the only official French translation, even if it is a really bad one, is still the PS1 version), that's all concerning the value but if i think about rarity, i think the rarest would probably be the Pal French variant of Ar Tonelico 2 on PS2, that game didn't a lot of release in Europe and it was a nightmare just to get one on release in some country, i was on a French forum at the time and i heard that only 800 unit of that game was going to be released in France (box and manual in French, the game was still in English), i don't know if it's true but what i know is that in 8 years of game hunting i've seen that game a lot of time, 99% of the time it's an English variant, i've seen two German and one Italian variant but the only French variant i've seen in all these years is the one i have in my collection, maybe i have other gems on my shelves maybe not, i don't really know and... well, i don't really care either, maybe i fear that the value would incite me to sell them...  :-\

some language versions are more rare than others in europe.

Skies of arcadia french gamecube is apparently more rare than the english version and commands more money for example.

Personally I would always go for english box versions but I also accept dutch box versions. and since my country is pretty small the games are always in english except for some kiddy games wich are of no importance anyways.

and if the english version just so happens to be cheaper and less rare more power to me since than they are easier to aquire.

Personally I find Games wich play in english to be nicely done while in other languages the translations are pretty bad if you would like my opinion and less enjoyable.

as far as suikoden II goes pretty much every version in europe goes for around 150 euro's except for maybe the italian version.

In france they sure love french games logical but in my country there are also allot of people who prefer english boxed games instead of the dutch ones. But I guess in france french is the main way to go since many aren't very good in english at least from what Iv'e heard.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:45:45 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:12 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:26:31 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2017, 10:30:55 am »
I don't own anything that's really amazingly rare, but I do have some rather uncommon stuff.

Skies of Arcadia (GC)
Knights of the Round (SNES) with period Hollywood Video rental stickers
Vice: Project Doom (NES)
Gran Turismo 3 Greatest Hits with BLUE disc art (PS2) This one may actually be rare, since I have never seen another.
Dual Hearts (PS2)
Mr. Mosquito (PS2)
Outrun Coast to Coast (PS2)

Flashback2012

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2017, 03:50:02 pm »
Here's some gems from my collection...

Gem Smashers (Wii)
Gem Smashers (3DS)
Crimson Gem Saga (PSP)
Sonic Gems Collection (Cube)

;)

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 04:52:37 pm »
Here the games in my collection that I consider rare gems...

Fire Emblem Path of radiance (GC)
Fire Emblem Thracia 776 (Super Famicom) - the official release by Nintendo in 2000
Suikoden II (PSX)
Lunar 1 and 2 CIB (PSX)
SNK vs Capcom card fighter clash 2 expand edition (Neo geo pocket color)
Ys Memoiries of Celceta collector edition (PS Vita)
Xenoblade Chronicles collector edition with red controller (Wii)

and few Neogeo AES games, that are now sailing at ridiculous price, the rarest one will be King of Fighters 2003 US version, but Im missing the manual.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac