Author Topic: Do you buy games you know you probably won't play?  (Read 5603 times)

Re: Do you buy games you know you probably won't play?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 10:25:04 am »
Unless I am buying it with some sort of return policy in place, no. I have taken a chance on a few very rare games, mostly disk based, and have about a 50/50 success rate from them. Probably the biggest gamble I had was on a copy of Gotcha Force on the Gamecube I paid $20 for at a flea market (no return policy). I buffed the hell out of the game and it still would not play. I ended up selling it on Ebay "As is" for about $50 so I ended up making some money on it in the end.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 11:31:51 am »
Hell yes I do!  I do it all the time.  I have more games than a normal person should ever own.  It's probably unhealthy. 

I collect games.  Some I play.  Some are just because I like having them.  I don't even have an XBox (I lost both of them in The Great Divorce of 2015), but I've been enjoying the heck out of buying the games lately. 

I will say that I've at least turned on ever NES game that I have.  A few years ago, previous to the aforementioned Great Divorce of 2015, I made it a point to play and do a small review of every NES game.  I got through about the I's in making videos about them, but I played them all.  I even have a notebook with all my 2-3 line micro-reviews.  It was fun and it made me play games I never would have before.  I even found some real gems. 

TL;DR Yes I buy games I never intend to play, and play Boulder Dash, Iron Tank, Double Dare, and Heavy Barrel on the NES

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 11:54:48 am »
Unless I am buying it with some sort of return policy in place, no. I have taken a chance on a few very rare games, mostly disk based, and have about a 50/50 success rate from them. Probably the biggest gamble I had was on a copy of Gotcha Force on the Gamecube I paid $20 for at a flea market (no return policy). I buffed the hell out of the game and it still would not play. I ended up selling it on Ebay "As is" for about $50 so I ended up making some money on it in the end.

Interesting take. I've always wondered how many of my games games won't play that I don't know about. I've very rarely kept with the good practice of testing expensive purchases to make sure I didn't get ripped. I did it once after Too Many Games and what do you know, some guy sold me a crap copy of Panzer Dragoon. Eventually had it replaced.

My local game store says right on the receipt "NO REFUNDS ON VIDEO GAMES. NO EXCEPTIONS." It's like, what if the game doesn't work?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:57:13 am by Warmsignal »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 11:58:54 am »

Interesting take. I've always wondered how many of my games games won't play that I don't know about. I've very rarely kept with the good practice of testing expensive purchases to make sure I didn't get ripped. I did it once after Too Many Games and what do you know, some guy sold me a crap copy of Panzer Dragoon. Eventually had it replaced.

My local game store says right on the receipt "NO REFUNDS ON VIDEO GAMES. NO EXCEPTIONS." It's like, what if the game doesn't work?

I bought a copy of Death and Return of Superman at a con one time.  Got home and, I'll be damned if wasn't a Super Punch-Out!! board on the inside.  I still haven't found a cheap copy of that game.

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 12:12:22 pm »

There are a few game stores like that in my area, but for the most part they are really cool about returns as long as they are done within a week of purchasing the game. I don't go to the flea market much anymore due to it being infested with overpriced resellers now, but back when I was there once a week I rarely bought anything over $10 because I had no idea if it would work.

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 12:21:48 pm »

There are a few game stores like that in my area, but for the most part they are really cool about returns as long as they are done within a week of purchasing the game. I don't go to the flea market much anymore due to it being infested with overpriced resellers now, but back when I was there once a week I rarely bought anything over $10 because I had no idea if it would work.

If I read your story the disc was in bad condition with allot of scratches potentially deep ones since buffing didn't help, It's pretty easy to determine when a game will fully work or not.

Only light scratches can guarantee it to work fully without buffing. If the discs is full of them or some medium deep scratches than yes you can have a risk with discs.

Furthermore usually games with bad condition discs have bad condition packaging so is there any reason to buy these at all? Unless it is way underpriced for a rare game.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:23:59 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 12:47:34 pm »
Hell no. What a waste of money and space.

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 12:52:38 pm »

If I read your story the disc was in bad condition with allot of scratches potentially deep ones since buffing didn't help, It's pretty easy to determine when a game will fully work or not.

Only light scratches can guarantee it to work fully without buffing. If the discs is full of them or some medium deep scratches than yes you can have a risk with discs.

Furthermore usually games with bad condition discs have bad condition packaging so is there any reason to buy these at all? Unless it is way underpriced for a rare game.

The first copy of Panzer Dragoon I got looked nice, disc was near flawless, but it didn't boot at all. No idea why, but the next one I got worked fine.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 12:58:30 pm »

The first copy of Panzer Dragoon I got looked nice, disc was near flawless, but it didn't boot at all. No idea why, but the next one I got worked fine.

Well overbuffing can result in a gamedisc being defective defenitely a risk however at least where I'm coming from I can tell if that's the case.

Buffing machines aren't perfect.

usually these days proffesional refurbishes do not recommend to get a disc perfect scratcheless since buffing it slightly gives the best result and obviously to prevent from overbuffing near the data layer.

Buffing to perfection is not a good thing it seems, have seen it at plenty buffing places making them chances over the years while in the past they always wanted to make the disks scratch free.

I pretty much never buff but i have noticed these chances at allot of places at least in my country.

Or maybe disc rot.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:28:36 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 01:22:52 pm »
When I see games that are underpriced or on sale for a limited time I buy them so I have cheap stuff to trade with friends and I resell stuff on Marktplaats, a Dutch website like EBay.
It's a nice way to expand my collection while keeping the costs a little bit down.

doafan

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »
When I was single yes, purchased and still own some titles at my collection that some of my friends told me that for some or another reason I should need to have at my collection, now that am married with two little girls I do took my time to read or saw some reviews about those titles that take my attention even ask at the forum for some opinions and at this point am pretty satisfied with the latest additions  ;)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

shfan

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 02:58:52 pm »
At this point I'm doing that by default, I only buy games that I would want to play almost exclusively, but the sheer volume of them now means that some of them are never going to get played. As a bargain hunter, if the opportunity to buys games comes up, I go for it, anything unwanted becomes trade-ins towards something better. On a few occasions I have bought games which I can't physically play due to lacking the system and don't intend to buy the system in the future, but those occasions are very rare (a complete Castlevania for the NES for instance, or a beat em up for the CDi for instance).

I keep spring-cleaning the collection and trading towards more interesting stuff, hopefully the 52 game challenge will help me actually get through more of them.

Agozer

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 03:53:00 pm »
I will only buy games that interest me. I don't have the finances nor am I hardcore enough of a collector to actually pay for games that I'm never going to play. Similar to shfan, even though every game in my collection interests me, some of them get left to the backburner for a very long time thanks to the deluge of new games coming out these days.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:54:38 pm by Agozer »

soera

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 04:09:54 pm »
I have to say yes. I have a wall of PS4 titles that sometimes I look at and be like "why did this game get a physical release?" Im the anti "dude bro" gamer so all those sports/racing/fps style of games on my wall are definitely not in my want to play list and lately a lot of the newer consoles have a giant percentage of them as released titles.

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 04:13:32 pm »
I have to say yes. I have a wall of PS4 titles that sometimes I look at and be like "why did this game get a physical release?" Im the anti "dude bro" gamer so all those sports/racing/fps style of games on my wall are definitely not in my want to play list and lately a lot of the newer consoles have a giant percentage of them as released titles.
BTW I noticed Hunting Simulator isn't on the site and Target has it on clearance for like $12.  Might want to keep an eye out for that.  :p