Author Topic: Is Gamer Culture Too Toxic?  (Read 4630 times)

kashell

Re: Is Gamer Culture Too Toxic?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 11:15:35 am »
This is probably the most harmonious large forum I've ever belonged to. Kudos to the site admins for keeping this an oasis among many flaming troll dens.

I agree 100%. It helps remind me that the majority of the folks that I know that share this hobby with me are actually good people.

ffxik

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 01:17:37 pm »
My thoughts are that every community has toxic individuals.  That will of course spill over into the community itself.  From the outside it can appear that this makes up the community as a whole, especially since social media and the media in general seem to want to highlight only this behavior.

I believe that a lot of the divide between gamers and developers at the moment can attributed to hype culture.  No Man's Sky is a shining example of this.  Promised to the moon, upon delivery it made a lot of people angry.  You are free to criticize aspects of a game.  It's an entertainment industry after all and you cannot please all the people all the time.  I also believe DLC culture has a lot to do with it.  I can't really attribute blame to a dev here but I sure can to a publisher that dissects a game to sell in chunks to the consumer.

It also has to do with a certain "pop culture critic" was being fetishized by the media.  I'm sorry but labels like, sexist, misogynist, racist, homophobic get attributed to gamers as a blanket to demean the entire community.  All because somebody bought and enjoyed a game with scantly clad women and some really bad jiggle physics.  It's entertainment, fiction, taking up arms and shouting that exposure to these fictional worlds will turn your kids into any of the aforementioned is a vapid and baseless accusation. 
The entitlement has a lot to do with the former.  They beat a drum to make games more inclusive, your game, your way.  A game for everybody is really a game for nobody.  Due to varied tastes of gamers as I said before, you can't please all the people all the time.

I would also like to say that a lot of the problem in and of itself coming from people who don't even play games or rarely do.  Professional outrage machines that see, scenes, dialogue, and what not and immediately take offence and start problems for everybody.

It's toxic on many levels.  The thing we have to understand is that gamers just want to be left alone to play their games.  We don't care if who or what that person is that we play with.  When you take any community and endlessly batter them with degrading remarks and baseless accusations, you're going to get push back.

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 09:38:52 am »
My thoughts are that every community has toxic individuals.  That will of course spill over into the community itself.  From the outside it can appear that this makes up the community as a whole, especially since social media and the media in general seem to want to highlight only this behavior.

This echos my own thought pretty closely.  Every group of any type of people can have toxic members.  However, because the gaming community is, by nature, very technologically inclined the toxicity of several subgroups (LoL players, just as an example) becomes highly visible.  These aren't grandmothers bad-laughing Sheila down the street in a sewing circle.  The group itself was created by, and exists on, a platform that automatically amplify their voices.  I saw someone mention the toxic Souls community. I have run into maybe one griefer the entire time I've played Souls (probably around 400 hours), so they are out there, but by virtue of being online their griefing/ "toxicity" automatically becomes more prolific.

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 06:19:03 pm »
If the question was "Is gamer culture toxic", I would say yes to extent.

However since it is "Is gamer culture too toxic", I will say no.

There are undeniably lots of bad people in the community, from people can't tolerate someone else playing on a different platform, from calling devs who pour their heart and soul into making games lazy, to swatting people online. But overall I'd say it's fine, I'm sure there are many other communities that are far worse. It's not too hard to have a friendly chat or a civil discussion, not to mention the beautiful thing about single player gaming is that you have the option to shut yourself out from all the rubbish that goes on.

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 10:11:40 am »
As an Xbox fan I have to say yes emphatically. From my earliest times with the Xbox in 2001 through to today I have always gotten shit from others just for liking the console. I can't even go on PS+ without some loser flinging shit my way just because they know I like the Xbox.

I'm lucky that most of the PS4 games I want to play are single player because the toxic community has driven me off PSN.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 01:45:07 pm »
As an Xbox fan I have to say yes emphatically. From my earliest times with the Xbox in 2001 through to today I have always gotten shit from others just for liking the console. I can't even go on PS+ without some loser flinging shit my way just because they know I like the Xbox.

I'm lucky that most of the PS4 games I want to play are single player because the toxic community has driven me off PSN.

Need a good example of toxicity in games?  Play online on Xbox or Playstation.  Then, you can find out how many 12 year olds have been sleeping with your mom. 

I don't play online anymore.  It was fun back in the day; but then every loud mouthed, vulgur, racist, douche canoe in North America got on XBL.  Now, it's all single player.

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 02:43:25 pm »

Need a good example of toxicity in games?  Play online on Xbox or Playstation.  Then, you can find out how many 12 year olds have been sleeping with your mom. 

I don't play online anymore.  It was fun back in the day; but then every loud mouthed, vulgur, racist, douche canoe in North America got on XBL.  Now, it's all single player.
Word.  I played with folks I knew IRL for a while, but now I don't really keep in contact with ANYONE, so 1P 4 lyfe.