Author Topic: Will Digital libraries ever become as revered as a physical collection?  (Read 4378 times)

ferraroso

Re: Will Digital libraries ever become as revered as a physical collection?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:41 am »
I recently updated my iPhone to iOS 11.0.2 and I simply lost almost all the games that I "owned" in it. And, as far as I understand, unless the companies release an updated version of these games, they will never be accessible anymore.
The main problem is that many of them will not receive such an update. Mainly because the publishing company doesn't have the rights to it anymore, because the publisher doesn't exist anymore or for some other reason.

This is one of the main reasons why I hate digital only games and NEVER pay for a game that is not released in physical form.
(The only downside to it is that it seems that I will never be able to play Sonic Mania, haha.)

soera

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:32 pm »
No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Digital is garbage. If its not retail, its a rental.

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »
There's a lot of debates to be made at the whole digital vs physical sort of thing but I think at the end of the day, there's just no collecting appeal to digital games. It doesn't seem cool to have 2,000 or so digital games because you don't buy them to have them, you buy them to play them and once you're done with them they don't really matter anymore. It's always going to be more impressive to show someone a fancy box than it will be to show someone data on a computer

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 06:19:46 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:19:02 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 06:36:21 pm »
I think it's pretty stupid not to play games because they're digital only.
That just shows that some people prefer to collect games rather than play games which I don't really understand tbh.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 06:37:21 pm »
That just shows that some people prefer to collect games rather than play games which I don't really understand tbh.

The post is asking if they'll be as collectible as physical games, not playable.

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 06:56:58 pm »

The post is asking if they'll be as collectible as physical games, not playable.

Yeah but some people here said that they wouldn't pay for a game that's digital only, and that's why I said that.

I do prefer to have a physical copy too and value my physical collection a lot more however I think that saying that digital ing general is garbage is stupid.

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 07:19:14 pm »

Yeah but some people here said that they wouldn't pay for a game that's digital only, and that's why I said that.

I do prefer to have a physical copy too and value my physical collection a lot more however I think that saying that digital ing general is garbage is stupid.

That's understandable.

I do kinda fall into that category, and I'm not sure if part of it is the hope that one day it *will* be available physically. Of course, this is flawed logic as if all gamers felt that way, there'd never be enough money or documented interest to finance efforts to make physical editions.

But I'm the sort who may be interested in playing and purchasing a game, but once I find out it's digital only, my interest in it significantly drops. Sometimes that does mean that I never play it, which is a shame. Something about it being digital only is a put-off somehow, like mobile games.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 10:10:23 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:18:54 pm by jce3000gt »

ffxik

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 01:27:58 pm »

....no

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 03:51:46 pm »

....no

I have to disagree If it takes up allot of space chances are it won't be popular in the future.

At allot of households regular desktops are a dying race, It's not uncommon for people to only have a laptop at best or not even that anymore.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:02:07 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 04:08:57 pm »
At allot of households regular desktops are a dying race, It's not uncommon for people to only have a laptop at best or not even that anymore.

Irrelevant.  These people are not gamers and we are discussing games.  :)  Besides, using my iPad or Android tablet sucks when doing most things besides checking email compared to my desktop.  Nothing will replace a desktop for full usability.  People like and use tablets (and notebooks) more at home because of convenience, that's it.   8)

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »

Irrelevant.  These people are not gamers and we are discussing games.  :)  Besides, using my iPad or Android tablet sucks when doing most things besides checking email compared to my desktop.  Nothing will replace a desktop for full usability.  People like and use tablets (and notebooks) more at home because of convenience, that's it.   8)

and yet more and more households do not have a desktop anymore thanks to these ipads. Some households do not even have a laptop anymore.

I will agree that they suck compared to desktops also in controls aside from the lack of power but I'm just stating some facts.

Smaller is a win for the general public.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

I think it's a bit of an assumption to say people who don't have fancy computers aren't gamers

Not everyone has the money for that yknow

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:18:29 pm by jce3000gt »