Author Topic: Why do game designers and directors not get revered as much in gaming?  (Read 1624 times)

With the exception of a few popular game designers or producers like Mr. Miyamoto or a few others, as a gaming culture especially casual gamers we don't revere or look too deep into the designers, developers, producers, voice actors, and staff that goes behind making some of the epic games we know and love.

With other mediums such as film we always hold the individuals to such a high standard.  From the actor/actress that played the role (Brad Pitt, Anne Hathaway) to the director or producer that directed the film (Stephen Spielburg, George Lucas).    To even people behind the special effects.   But with gaming we buy them and we don't really care about who designed each level or who voiced certain characters or what not.

Proof of this would be just grammy awards and emmy awards and such.  Why not a award for best voiced gaming character or best director or best stage design, best multiplayer map designer.  Ect...   It seems like we just paint the individual works as one broad brush and just credit "atlus" or "square"  or "ubisoft"  instead of saying  "Mark Markenson and eric stephenson were superb with designing calamity Ganon" 

Why do I know Margot Robbie played Harley Quinn in suicide squad but I couldn't say who voiced Princess Zelda in BOTW even though she did a amazing job.

Is it because gaming directors like to stay anonymous or behind the scenes of their project intentionally or is it something on our part where we don't give them enough credit for their work?  :)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:41:17 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

shfan

Re: Why do game designers and directors not get revered as much in gaming?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:00:05 am »
(I don't have much time or any energy to think about this much, so forgive the 2 quick observations):

The BAFTAs have recognized video games for a few years now, they're perhaps not awards on the same level of prestige as the ones you mention but are still known internationally http://www.bafta.org/games

The video game industry is nowhere near as old as other entertainment mediums and has not been perceived as something other than a niche market/area for very long at all, so where we are now isn't necessarily where we're going to be in the near future.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:34:32 am »
I remember back in the late 1990's and early 2000's games seemed more interested in the voice acting and the level designers, soundtracks too but never so much the producers . I can tell you that Duke Nukem 3D for PC had the voice acting done by Jon St Jon, and some of the level designers included Alan Blum, and the Level Lord Richard Bailey Gray .

AND, who can forget Will Wright the crater of Simcity and early The Sims games most notably the sims 1 and 2 for PC :) and who could forget Spore. for PC.

I still remember Chris Sawer bring the main creator of Roller Coaster Tycoon for PC back in 1999
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:36:17 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 10:05:20 am »
I think it comes down to how the products are marketed. Films adverts tend to really push the stars, directors, and producers as a selling point. Video games tend to come from a more toy/product direction, rather than an entertainment event. Similar to toy ads they always make sure to boast about what company made it rather than an individual designer.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 02:01:11 pm »
Shigeru Miyamoto, Hideo Kojima, Yuji Naka, Satoru Iwata, Gunpei Yokoi, who doesn't know these names? I think everyone has heard of Sam and Dan Houser of Rockstar games, Gabe Newell of Valve and even names likes Goichi Suda of Grasshoper Manufacture are widely recognized. Like movies, who you know of usually depends on what kinds of games you like and follow.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »
Shigeru Miyamoto, Hideo Kojima, Yuji Naka, Satoru Iwata, Gunpei Yokoi, who doesn't know these names? I think everyone has heard of Sam and Dan Houser of Rockstar games, Gabe Newell of Valve and even names likes Goichi Suda of Grasshoper Manufacture are widely recognized. Like movies, who you know of usually depends on what kinds of games you like and follow.

Out of all those names I have only ever heard of Mr. Iwata and Mr. Miyamoto. I don't think many casual gamers ever really know who is behind their favorite games which is a little sad :(.  For example GTA 5 is in my top 10 all time and I didn't know who Sam and Dan Houser were until you told me. I think I heard of them but never really looked into them too much even though I love Rock Star games. 

I'm sure their are many who do but i'd say most casual GTA and Red Dead fans won't ever know because they never credit the names blatently on the packaging or in game.  Only the credits that most ignore.  Like badATchaos said I think it comes down to games being marketed differently than movies.

Instead of them saying starring voice acting of Ellie Smith and directed by Hank Lou  comes the next video game from Ubisoft.  But it's more like  from Ubisoft is this game using this engine buy it on this day.  They never put that artist signature so we can associate their work with their likeness.  :)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:39:54 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Agozer

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 07:51:26 pm »
I've found that if your a fan a of the games from a certain development studio, the people in charge of making a certain game can actually weigh more than the game their making in terms of generating hype and general interest.

For example in my mind, Hideki kamiya, Shinji Mikami and Atsushi Inaba can do no wrong, as long as they're working on an original IP. Same goes for Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:53:29 pm by Agozer »

indenton

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 03:14:17 pm »
I feel like there are only a couple game directors, single people which break the mold of the industry and have even somewhat of a name outside of their respective industry, you know like Shiguru Miyamoto, Hideo Kojima, Yuji Naka, Toru Iwatani.  Even Satoshi Tajiri doesn't get much lip service, dammit.   

These guys have been around for decades and have made HUGE leaps within this industry.  There just aren't many other individuals that have any near this prestige - yet.  Markus Persson (Notch) is a modern example of a game industry individual making a big claim to fame. 

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:27:31 am »
Cliffy B, John Romero, John Carmack, David Jaffe, Warren Spector, Ed Boon, Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer, Ken Levine, Chris Avellone, Peter Molyneux, American McGee, Todd Howard.

Shit Yoko Taro is pretty well known just for the mask.