Author Topic: Which gaming stereotype do you hate most? Which are you most like?  (Read 6708 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Which gaming stereotype do you hate most? Which are you most like?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 03:04:41 pm »
Trophy Collectors: I am not referring to PSN or XBL achievements, but rather video game collectors who are obsessed with owning the most rare and valuable games for no reason other than they are rare and valuable. When talking about any given game, their first question is "how rare is it?" It doesn't matter if the game is good or important in anyway, it is all a matter of them having something more rare or valuable then the next guy. These are usually the guys that love to get into collecting pissing matches as well.

"I got a better deal than you" Collectors: Again, nothing wrong with getting good deals on games, more power to you, but I've known a lot of collectors that like to gloat about how good a deal they got with every damn game they find. God forbid they pay full retail for a game, ever, or at least if they did they are likely not going to announce it publically. More annoying are people that flat out lie or embellish their good deal claims by doing resell math to say they paid next to nothing for their games despite paying close to retail or retail for everything, or people who just flat out lie about their deals to get people jealous. I can think of a semi popular youtuber that does this a lot (I have inside sources that know he is full of shit)

I would agree, but sometimes these just comes up in a forum like VGcollect - "What are the best deals you've ever found?" If I can think of them, I'll mention it, but I'm not trying to brag or anything.

Sometimes they'll be a thread about rare games, and I'll mention what games I have that I think are rare. I have to admit to somewhat being curious about random games that a rare, but I need to have at least a vague interest in the game. Like recently, I've been going through the worst selling games to ever come out on the Wii, and deciding which of those I'd like to add to my collection before I no longer have the option due to price spikes. In a way, that is a form of "rare collecting" but I won't be bragging about it.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 03:17:40 pm »
Trophy Collectors: I am not referring to PSN or XBL achievements, but rather video game collectors who are obsessed with owning the most rare and valuable games for no reason other than they are rare and valuable. When talking about any given game, their first question is "how rare is it?" It doesn't matter if the game is good or important in anyway, it is all a matter of them having something more rare or valuable then the next guy. These are usually the guys that love to get into collecting pissing matches as well.

"I got a better deal than you" Collectors: Again, nothing wrong with getting good deals on games, more power to you, but I've known a lot of collectors that like to gloat about how good a deal they got with every damn game they find. God forbid they pay full retail for a game, ever, or at least if they did they are likely not going to announce it publically. More annoying are people that flat out lie or embellish their good deal claims by doing resell math to say they paid next to nothing for their games despite paying close to retail or retail for everything, or people who just flat out lie about their deals to get people jealous. I can think of a semi popular youtuber that does this a lot (I have inside sources that know he is full of shit)

I would agree, but sometimes these just comes up in a forum like VGcollect - "What are the best deals you've ever found?" If I can think of them, I'll mention it, but I'm not trying to brag or anything.

Sometimes they'll be a thread about rare games, and I'll mention what games I have that I think are rare. I have to admit to somewhat being curious about random games that a rare, but I need to have at least a vague interest in the game. Like recently, I've been going through the worst selling games to ever come out on the Wii, and deciding which of those I'd like to add to my collection before I no longer have the option due to price spikes. In a way, that is a form of "rare collecting" but I won't be bragging about it.
Almostly completely off topic...

Myself and another collector I know, we both have historically gone and looked at the list of games for platforms (PS1, PS2, Wii, etc) and looked for unheard of games, and go look on ebay and such at how few copies are out there for sale and how cheap the game is vs how bad it is and bought up a lot of games before some youtuber makes the games spike.  Trying to do basically what you're talking about minus the vgchartz stuff.

Under the skin is a good example.  Nearly tripled in value over the past year if I'm not mistaken... which doesn't say much for a $5 game.  But the game holds up surprisingly well.

There are a lot of games that just looking at the cover you'd almost expect the game to spike eventually, but the gameplay is so mediocre.  Not even bad, just meh.  Invasion from beyond would be a good example.

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 03:56:33 pm »

Almostly completely off topic...

Myself and another collector I know, we both have historically gone and looked at the list of games for platforms (PS1, PS2, Wii, etc) and looked for unheard of games, and go look on ebay and such at how few copies are out there for sale and how cheap the game is vs how bad it is and bought up a lot of games before some youtuber makes the games spike.  Trying to do basically what you're talking about minus the vgchartz stuff.

Under the skin is a good example.  Nearly tripled in value over the past year if I'm not mistaken... which doesn't say much for a $5 game.  But the game holds up surprisingly well.

There are a lot of games that just looking at the cover you'd almost expect the game to spike eventually, but the gameplay is so mediocre.  Not even bad, just meh.  Invasion from beyond would be a good example.

Under the Skin has been on my radar for many years, and I've given it every opportunity to spike to astronomical prices. To my knowledge, it hasn't yet. I need to pick it up before MetalJesus or someone does a video on it. I always keep an eye out for the weird and usual, I like adding that kind of stuff to the collection. I can see the Wii becoming a very collected for console in the coming years, with potentially tons of expensive games. We'll see, I suppose.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 04:02:55 pm »
Under the Skin has been on my radar for many years, and I've given it every opportunity to spike to astronomical prices. To my knowledge, it hasn't yet. I need to pick it up before MetalJesus or someone does a video on it. I always keep an eye out for the weird and usual, I like adding that kind of stuff to the collection. I can see the Wii becoming a very collected for console in the coming years, with potentially tons of expensive games. We'll see, I suppose.
Which is surprising with how well the game holds up graphically and gameplay.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 04:13:38 pm »

why is there any reason for this game to spike when even games like katamari damacy on the ps2 stay in the 10 - 15 dollar range an excellent game wich is popular.

Or otogi 1 and 2 on the xbox has been recommended yet the prices stay pretty low.

Supply is usually allot better with these newer consoles it will not have such great effects as for older systems. Also the packaging damages allot less easily. As far as older systems go It's usually cib wich is the problem cart only is pretty cheap to be fair CIb is where the expensive stuff begins because overall there is less availabler in collectible condition.

It will stay in that 15 20 dollar range for a very long time or maybe forever until the retro gaming prizes drop in value wich in turn would drop the price of this game.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:17:19 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 06:44:27 pm »

why is there any reason for this game to spike when even games like katamari damacy on the ps2 stay in the 10 - 15 dollar range an excellent game wich is popular.

Or otogi 1 and 2 on the xbox has been recommended yet the prices stay pretty low.

Supply is usually allot better with these newer consoles it will not have such great effects as for older systems. Also the packaging damages allot less easily. As far as older systems go It's usually cib wich is the problem cart only is pretty cheap to be fair CIb is where the expensive stuff begins because overall there is less availabler in collectible condition.

It will stay in that 15 20 dollar range for a very long time or maybe forever until the retro gaming prizes drop in value wich in turn would drop the price of this game.

One reason is Katamari probably way, way outsold Under the Skin. Most people know it's a fairly common PS2 game, so there's no incentive to buy it right away, if you aren't dying to play it. When scarcity is known, is where the rush to buy comes in and creates a seller's market for the title.

Otogi certainly has gone up since MetalJesus promoted it. Both used to go for about $5 to $10, but both are pretty common so wouldn't expect a huge price spike.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 07:37:21 pm »
My least favorite stereotype is the judge mental type i feel there is no wrong way to collect. Big or small collections whatever makes you happy from games to comics or rocks for that matter it's all personal opinion.

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 07:44:38 pm »

One reason is Katamari probably way, way outsold Under the Skin. Most people know it's a fairly common PS2 game, so there's no incentive to buy it right away, if you aren't dying to play it. When scarcity is known, is where the rush to buy comes in and creates a seller's market for the title.

Otogi certainly has gone up since MetalJesus promoted it. Both used to go for about $5 to $10, but both are pretty common so wouldn't expect a huge price spike.

that's fair if a game is to common obviously the supply will be great and prices will remain allot lower.

I will say though if you would look in the wild you will not find those games pretty easily, also in lots these games are not common at all, I would rate them as uncommon. Obviously plenty of collectors and resellers have one so yes on the black market the game is common since it is worth it to list them online.

Than again uncommon in my opinion can have some nice supply but if the game is any good many people will put it up for sale.

If you would hype certain games wich are less known to be rare or good and it achieves some value more copies will pop up online since more people will put in effort to dig one up or maybe remove and sell it from the collection.

I would also like to mention that both otogi games did not sell well in the past pretty horrible to be fair, however there are enough copies to supply the demand It's not super rare, not many people collect xbox and overall It's just for the retro collecting scene not to mention that these games were for a more limited market back in the day even if they were succesful.

katamari damacy did okay but allot less than far more common titles pales in comparison.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:32:39 pm by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 09:14:15 pm »

I will say though both otogi games did not sell well in the past pretty horrible to be fair, however there are enough copies to supply the demand It's not super rare, not many people collect xbox and overall It's just for the retro collecting scene not to mention that these games were for a more limited market back in the day even if they were succesful.

katamari damacy did okay but allot less than far more common titles.

Yeah the fact Otogi is on Xbox is partly the reason why it's not as popular, I think. A lot of people still hold a bias against OGXB, and there is little nostalgia for it. The Otogi games are more uncommon that I suspected on the side of numbers, about 80,000 and 40,000 copies respectively in North America. But given the console's popularity as of now, that's plenty. If it ever picks up, they could become hard to find. All I know is I found mine in the wild, without much searching.

Katamari sold hundreds of thousands, 470 roughly. However, my source says that it did sell terribly in Europe. It varies from region to region.

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 03:06:41 am »
THE BUY SEARCH AND DESTROYER

A person who buys retro games just to destroy them so he or shes company can make more profit on newer games. It is possible for some stereotype to do this, imagine a person who is so desperate to fuck all retro gamer, and a rich person too. being a scalper also buying hundreds of retro consoles and games only to break them, if we are (taking hate) in which is a vary harsh word this is one sterotype that we can all hate together

I consider myself a gamer wannabe, I get lots and lots of games, and I need to play them, I was hoping to share my collection but at the moment I got noone to trust lending all my games out to people for free
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:25:52 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 06:57:43 am »

I will say though both otogi games did not sell well in the past pretty horrible to be fair, however there are enough copies to supply the demand It's not super rare, not many people collect xbox and overall It's just for the retro collecting scene not to mention that these games were for a more limited market back in the day even if they were succesful.

katamari damacy did okay but allot less than far more common titles.

Yeah the fact Otogi is on Xbox is partly the reason why it's not as popular, I think. A lot of people still hold a bias against OGXB, and there is little nostalgia for it. The Otogi games are more uncommon that I suspected on the side of numbers, about 80,000 and 40,000 copies respectively in North America. But given the console's popularity as of now, that's plenty. If it ever picks up, they could become hard to find. All I know is I found mine in the wild, without much searching.

Katamari sold hundreds of thousands, 470 roughly. However, my source says that it did sell terribly in Europe. It varies from region to region.

Katamari damacy was never released in europe however specialised gamestores imported it in small amounts. These days the value is just slightly higher in europe since it is not hard to find on ebay thanks to the US.

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:03 am »
My statement regarding Under the Skin is the fact that it isn't widely available and it isn't widely sought after.  If it ever becomes sought after, the price will likely spike.

My opinion is that Under the Skin is a great game that aged incredibly well, and that I think that it will become sought after.

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 10:03:18 am »
While it is being discussed, I think future video game speculation is kind of silly as well. There are so many factors, some not entirely intuitive that either keep the value of a game down and some that make them shoot up that it's not a great investment to bank on X game being worth "so much more money" someday. If you want to invest in something that will give you better returns in the short and long term there are far better, non-gaming alternatives. If you're just looking to acquire a game before it shoots up in price then more power to you and good luck. I just can't help but laugh at people that buy a specific game with the hope it will shoot up through the roof in value someday.

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 11:07:18 am »
I just can't help but laugh at people that buy a specific game with the hope it will shoot up through the roof in value someday.
I laugh at the ones who go out and buy tens of copies of a game hoping to bank down the line.

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 11:42:40 am »
I just can't help but laugh at people that buy a specific game with the hope it will shoot up through the roof in value someday.
I laugh at the ones who go out and buy tens of copies of a game hoping to bank down the line.

lol yep. I've know a couple of local collectors that did this with various titles and with one exception I can't think of any of them that have panned out (yet).