Author Topic: "Limited Run Games" Is coming to Switch!! Thoughts?  (Read 2371 times)

"Limited Run Games" Is coming to Switch!! Thoughts?
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:16:03 pm »
I just seen on the official Limited Run Games twitter that they have been approved to publish games on the Nintendo Switch :D

I have always been interested in the company since I heard of them on here, especially the limited editions I have seen some of you buying but the exclusivity to PS4 was what kept me away as I don't own one yet. 

But now with Switch releases this is going to boost the Switch's library to new heights!  This is exactly what Nintendo needs. A strong 3rd party publisher to compliment their steady 1st party brilliance. I am beyond excited :D.   

I hope they release OddWorld and Octodad for Switch along with the other awesome games they been publishing on PS4. :)

I think switch has already exceeded expectations with their solid 3rd party consistency but now this?  This is a big move and I'm pretty curious to see how it'll play out. 

What are your thoughts on this move?  Are you happy or on the fence?   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:21:59 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: "Limited Run Games" Is coming to Switch!! Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 02:19:48 pm »
God help us all...

If it was bad before, we haven't even seen the worst of it. I can see it now; Switch games selling out in under a minute, scalpers throwing them on ebay for $200+ and people bitching like crazy about it. If LRG wants to prevent all this they might actually do print runs closer to 10k, but they probably wont. This is going to be a mess, I already know it.

telly

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 02:29:43 pm »
I just don't see how a company that prints less than 5,000 copies a game is going to be a big boon for the Switch. Maybe for collectors and scalpers, but certainly not the general public or game companies thinking of bringing their third party titles to the Switch.

I'd say it's at least something though. I'm not upset that LRG is bringing games over to a different platform. Share the fun I say!
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 02:33:05 pm »
I just don't see how a company that prints less than 5,000 copies a game is going to be a big boon for the Switch. Maybe for collectors and scalpers, but certainly not the general public or companies thinking of bringing their third party titles to the Switch.

I'd say it's at least something though, I'm not upset that LRG is bringing games over to a different platform. Share the fun I say!

Yeah, basically this.  It's a neat thing to have, but LRG is barely a blip on the radar for sales. It was never meant to be anything more than that, it's specifically a thing for collectors, who are a very small portion of the market.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 03:38:06 pm »
God help us all...

If it was bad before, we haven't even seen the worst of it. I can see it now; Switch games selling out in under a minute, scalpers throwing them on ebay for $200+ and people bitching like crazy about it. If LRG wants to prevent all this they might actually do print runs closer to 10k, but they probably wont. This is going to be a mess, I already know it.

I partially agree.  I just think they need to change a couple of their business practices before I would be interested in doing business with them again.   

It will be utter pandemonium though because Nintendo fans are REALLY obsessive and extra whiny.  It'll be a much bloodier blood bath.   

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:22:47 pm »
God help us all...

I partially agree.  I just think they need to change a couple of their business practices before I would be interested in doing business with them again.   

It will be utter pandemonium though because Nintendo fans are REALLY obsessive and extra whiny.  It'll be a much bloodier blood bath.

Exactly. If a game like Darius Burst or even Soma was released on the Switch in quantities under 5k, the price for them would be ridiculous on the second market due to the fervent Nintendo collecting fanbase, which would of course attract every lowlife scalper wanting to make $300 on a game they paid $40 for. It would not end well for actual gamers.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »
God help us all...

Exactly. If a game like Darius Burst or even Soma was released on the Switch in quantities under 5k, the price for them would be ridiculous on the second market due to the fervent Nintendo collecting fanbase, which would of course attract every lowlife scalper wanting to make $300 on a game they paid $40 for. It would not end well for actual gamers.

Eh, I'm holding judgment until they release more info next year. 5k won't be very much at all, no, but who knows - maybe these will be very, very indie titles (the last batch of LRG games were up for easily 3 days) or they'll be able to get the developers to agree on a higher number of items.

A physical copy of Golf Story would be legit, though. I want to hope for I Am Setsuna, but they've already stated that they haven't been able to get communication from Square Enix at all.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 07:46:34 pm »
A physical copy of Golf Story would be legit, though. I want to hope for I Am Setsuna, but they've already stated that they haven't been able to get communication from Square Enix at all.

Just import a copy. The Japanese physical cart loads up in English on North American Switch consoles- even the icon in the menu on the homescreen is English.

I kinda wish I'd waited a bit longer to get mine, a different version came out just after I got it (Hong Kong edition, I think?) with a reversible-to-English cover.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 08:21:24 pm »

Just import a copy. The Japanese physical cart loads up in English on North American Switch consoles- even the icon in the menu on the homescreen is English.

I kinda wish I'd waited a bit longer to get mine, a different version came out just after I got it (Hong Kong edition, I think?) with a reversible-to-English cover.

Yeah, I figured I'd import a copy eventually, but good to know that there are more versions out there.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 08:25:16 pm »
Getting copies of anything would be literally impossible unless they up their print run, i already dislike how they handle releases for other systems as it is. if they handle to similar to how they handled Ys origins i may be interested, other than that its not worth the suffering.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 09:23:55 pm »
I didn't know how low the runs were and how hard it would be to get them :(,   It'll surely be a scalper disaster even worst than the NES classic and I wont even bother. Its hard enough getting regular Nintendo items with decent production runs let alone some under 5k non sense.

Someone asked on twitter if they will come to xbox and They said something along the lines of "Xbox's Minimum production quantity requirements are too high" and eluded to the fact that Xbox was being unsupportive or something. In response someone called them out for having riduclous production runs that favored scalpers with no response.   

It's sad because the idea of preserving digital only media on physical copies is amazing but with such low runs it's hard to get any without the middle man ruining the market. Why not make more?  Is it a resource issue or just a plan based around the name sake?  I think they should change the name to adequate stock games and make 500k copies and roll in our collector dough but that's just me :)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:29:39 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 12:52:32 pm »
I didn't know how low the runs were and how hard it would be to get them :(,   It'll surely be a scalper disaster even worst than the NES classic and I wont even bother. Its hard enough getting regular Nintendo items with decent production runs let alone some under 5k non sense.

Someone asked on twitter if they will come to xbox and They said something along the lines of "Xbox's Minimum production quantity requirements are too high" and eluded to the fact that Xbox was being unsupportive or something. In response someone called them out for having riduclous production runs that favored scalpers with no response.   

It's sad because the idea of preserving digital only media on physical copies is amazing but with such low runs it's hard to get any without the middle man ruining the market. Why not make more?  Is it a resource issue or just a plan based around the name sake?  I think they should change the name to adequate stock games and make 500k copies and roll in our collector dough but that's just me :)

By my experience, it's really not that hard to get ahold of LRG's releases during the actual release. You do have to plan to buy it, you can't count on wandering in when it's convenient and grabbing a copy, but I've never missed anything I want save the Darius vinyl- and considering that only had 500 copies, I'm not too surprised it sold out before I finished my checkout.

Basically, just get online a few minutes before the game drops, make sure you're logged in to your LRG account and anything else you'll need to checkout (like making sure paypal is ready to go). When the moment comes, refresh until the buy box is there & checkout. Easy peasy. Obviously, only time will tell if Switch buyers are voracious enough to throw all that out the window.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 07:24:03 pm »
My wallet is not happy about this.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 08:06:27 pm »
What are your thoughts on this move?

My thoughts? Big whoop. My interest in the Switch remains staggeringly low.

I struggle to feel like LRG are any more legitimate than an unlicensed NES game. It's only limited because they've tapped into a collector's niche that will guarantee themselves 100% profitability, and take no financial risk whatsoever in the production of each game. They can put out good games, bad games, doesn't matter. Always works out for them, but no so much the folks who might like to have one.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:08:54 pm by Warmsignal »

kashell

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 09:24:23 am »
I'm still not entirely sold on the Switch. So, I'm pretty apathetic about all of this. At least, for now. That could change with the right game announcement.