Author Topic: Built some inexpensive shelves  (Read 3045 times)

Built some inexpensive shelves
« on: October 22, 2017, 11:37:44 pm »
*lock topic*
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:11:54 pm by jce3000gt »

Re: Built some inexpensive shelves
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:40:02 am »
So weird.

I would have stood the shelving unit up the other way so that the cases aren't all stacked on each other.

In seriousness though, I don't like shelves like that.  I have a set of rather small media shelves that I bought that I use for movies that functions similar to what you've built.  If the DVD cases fall over, which for me is super common, they just completely tumble off the shelving unit because you only really have 1" of support depth under the cases.

I built my shelving units with 1"x6" common board wood, with a 1"x10" base just to make sure it doesn't tumble forward.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:43:56 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:39:28 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:12:01 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:02:09 am »
Trust me when I tell you that these cases aren't going to fall over--I have them angled in a way where that isn't going to happen.  :)  My only concern is weight so I've got something I'm going to do to solve that this week.  I also was going for a minimalist look for not much money (materials were ~$35 total) and I do not like pressed wood/particle board.  I also didn't want a flat base the entire depth of each shelf because that makes it a dust magnet and is a pain in the ass to deal with when you have over 500 games on one unit.  I plan on building 1 more of these for my CD jewel case'd games and longboxes.  Also considering we're going to move in about ~5 years to Idaho or Montana anyway it made no sense for me to spend any more money thus I designed these to be throw-away after ~5 years. 

Also keep in mind I don't have building skills so being as simplistic as possible was also a goal.   ;)
I didn't use pressed wood or particle board.  Common board is a type of wood.  It's a cheap and mildly soft wood.  Works well.  I have pics in the game room pics thread.

Total cost for a 3' wide, 6' tall, 6" deep (with a 10" base board) costs about $25-30.  This ignores the cost of screws, because a box of screws will make like 8 shelving units.

As for dust.  I don't have any problems with dust.  6" depth is the width of a DVD case, so the entire shelf is covered, no chance for dust except for on the cases themselves... which you will also have.  I have boxes stacked on the top, so again, no dust, except for on the boxes, which would happen regardless.  The 10" base board will gather dust, but again, it's a 4" surface so a quick wipe with a clorox wipe or a duster will take care of that, no problem.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:06:24 am by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:52 am »
1 question, 1 complaint.

Question: Did you cut the bottoms so that the entire unit is flush with the wall? This is my main complaint regarding having to do shelving in my house, I have baseboards in every room.

Complaint: you covered up a power outlet.  :(

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:10:37 am »
I didn't use pressed wood or particle board.  Common board is a type of wood.  It's a cheap and mildly soft wood.  Works well.  I have pics in the game room pics thread.

Ah, shows you how much I know about wood terminology.  Then I think Common board is what the 1x2's are.  With this being my first shelf and a good learning experience I'm likely going to use 2x3's with a hardwood next time, especially when I do the CD jewel case sized shelves and the shelves for the movie theatre. 

Total cost for a 3' wide, 6' tall, 6" deep (with a 10" base board) costs about $25-30.  This ignores the cost of screws, because a box of screws will make like 8 shelving units.

I'm more like 5' wide, 9' tall, and 4" deep.  LOL  With the box of screws and such my total cost was ~$35.  I still don't think its bad for my very first thing I've ever done with wood.  :)

1 question, 1 complaint.

Question: Did you cut the bottoms so that the entire unit is flush with the wall? This is my main complaint regarding having to do shelving in my house, I have baseboards in every room.

No. I have felt pads at the top to prevent the wall unit from damaging the wall.  So it fits pretty flush with those pads at the top.  :) 

Complaint: you covered up a power outlet.  :(

Won't be used.  The computers and such are on the opposite wall.  If I ever need the outlet I can always use a hole saw and cut a 1.25" hole out of the side of the 2x4 and fish a cord through. 

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 11:47:42 am »
I'm more like 5' wide, 9' tall, and 4" deep.  LOL  With the box of screws and such my total cost was ~$35.  I still don't think its bad for my very first thing I've ever done with wood.  :)
I find once it's over 6' it isn't really "usable".  I'd need a step ladder or something to get much higher than that.  Plus, the 3' between the shelving unit and the ceiling provides great space for displaying boxes and CE stuff.

I didn't want to do more than 3' wide because with the weight of the games, the wood will eventually bow if the wood is too long and weak.  I'd maybe be concerned if I was using 5' long 1"x2"s.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:09:19 pm »
Took an hour to build and another hour to sort alphabetically.  My lovely wife helped which was fun.  I suck at making things.  Ok so I'm concerned about weight. 77 games per shelf on average is a bunch of weight. BUT I like the results so far. Only need to add my PS4 and XBOX 360 and I'll be mostly done with this shelf leaving room for future purchases. I'll be displaying my Final Fantasy XII another way. Hard to believe how small my PS2 collection looks until you realize it's over 200 games up there. Haha.

Materials:
2qty 2x4's
10qty 1x2's (one split)
2" Drywall screws
2 deluxe wall anchors

Thoughts?  Go easy on me!!

http://jce3000gt.com/jce/gaming/IMG_5949.JPG

It looks pretty cool. :).   

I always buy my shelves as self assemble wood and bolts style Walmart pieces.  They look professional at first glance and are fairly cheap.  Mostly because i'm bad at fabricating.    I always wanted to build a tower Media shelf out of lexion or plexi glass though.  It'd be see through on all sides but very durable. You could see the sides of the games as if they were stacked with nothing but i'd support them.   It'd be pricey id assume for the pieces but I may try it soon :D

Flashback2012

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:54:21 pm »
Looks pretty good IMO though I'd be concerned about the height. I'm average height and would think any shelf higher than the door might be too high and I'd hate to think I would need a step stool available should I want to play something off the top shelf. If that's the current extent of your collection then you might want to consider dropping the rows down until you need to ones higher up.  ;)

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 03:01:43 pm »
Looks good to me! I don't mind it being tall as I'm used to shelves being tall anyway. I don't need access to my games 24/7, so getting a chair or a stool to grab something in particular is ok with me.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:12:09 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 06:57:33 pm »
This looks really good! I've been debating on making my own shelves, but I wasn't too sure how I wanted them to look. You gave me some inspiration. For sure! I think the only thing I would change with your current setup, is I would have stained the wood. Fantastic work!

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 08:14:50 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:12:14 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 01:26:11 am »
This looks really good! I've been debating on making my own shelves, but I wasn't too sure how I wanted them to look. You gave me some inspiration. For sure! I think the only thing I would change with your current setup, is I would have stained the wood. Fantastic work!

They'll look great stained, we plan on doing a dark stain with the ones we build for the movie theatre.  Might I also suggest not going over 4' in length on each shelf?  5' might be too long unless you're using some kind of metal brace on the backside?

Post some pics when you're done!!

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll keep that in mind whe. I finally take the plunge on building these. I’ll surely post pics with my specs. I’m hoping I can get to them before years end!

mcrstr

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 06:37:49 am »
Very nice shelves, I think. Great job.
I have something like that, but uglier.