Author Topic: Have you ever heard any funny gaming myths when you were young?  (Read 3482 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Have you ever heard any funny gaming myths when you were young?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 03:51:43 pm »
Jumping over the flagpole on Super Mario Bros. was the biggest one I remember. Everyone seemed to have a story of that one time they did it. Yet we all know you can't, now.

You can jump over the flagpole in SMB.  It's just endless running until time runs out.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 04:04:44 pm »
Jumping over the flagpole on Super Mario Bros. was the biggest one I remember. Everyone seemed to have a story of that one time they did it. Yet we all know you can't, now.

You can jump over the flagpole in SMB.  It's just endless running until time runs out.

I've seen in ROM hacks, and I've seen in on Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels, but I've never seen it in SMB on an NES. I've clearly jumped higher than the flagpole, and the game just forces you down the pole.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 04:45:29 pm »

I've seen in ROM hacks, and I've seen in on Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels, but I've never seen it in SMB on an NES. I've clearly jumped higher than the flagpole, and the game just forces you down the pole.

Speaking from experience, it can be done.  You have to be pixel-perfect, but it is possible.

desocietas

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 05:05:13 pm »
Huh, I hadn't heard that Lavender theme myth. Interesting, because I just read a story in a manga that refers to a song that would entice the listener into committing suicide.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

indenton

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 05:53:13 pm »
I remember a friend telling me about that he had a Level 255 Mewtwo in Pokemon Red, at the time I thought he was making it up, but I always remembered that he used that specific number.  I now realize that he was talking about 'Missing No.' HAA!!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 01:15:13 am »

Speaking from experience, it can be done.  You have to be pixel-perfect, but it is possible.

You can also do it with a Game Genie using one of the super jump codes.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 05:42:54 pm »
Of course Nude Raider was a huge rumor, but the one I remember best is the infamous GamePro April Fools joke which claimed you could play as Sheng Long in Super Street Fighter II Turbo. A lot of people, including myself, didn't realize it was a joke. I never tried to do the almost impossible trick, which IIRC involved double-perfecting every computer opponent including Akuma and something else I don't remember, but many other people attempted it.

dreama1

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 11:55:57 am »
You could drive a speedboat in GoldenEye. On the first level there was a island in the distance you could use a speedboat to reach, or the ship level in the multiplayer the speedboat could be used.

mrnikon

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 05:10:38 pm »
I remember the rumor that in SMB3 if you caught the wand at a specific height you got 5 1 ups.

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 06:56:25 am »
The rumours that having the Mossdeep Space Center reach a specific number of rocket launches in Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire would allow the player to battle Jirachi or Deoxys. When Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were released relatively recently it made me wonder whether Game Freak/Nintendo/The Pokémon Company acknowledged those rumours when creating the Delta Episode side quest.
Nintendo collector/creator and aspiring mother. ✿

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 12:22:02 pm »
One was that there were 100 worlds in Super Mario World.  There are only 96.  I remember a middle aged contestant on Jeopardy once, during the brief contestant introductions he mentioned to Alex Trebek that he completed 96 levels in Super Mario World and was hoping to finish all 100.

aliensstudios

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 12:37:53 pm »
Funnily enough, if you glitch the game very specifically, you can actually get a save file with 101 exits as opposed to the intended 96 exits. I think there are only 72 actual courses though.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

doafan

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 01:00:06 pm »
At the arcades that I used to visit there was always a rumor that the friend of a friend was able to pick the stone that was part of Sagat's stage at the classic Street Fighter II and use it to attack him, I truly believe that it was real since the guy who told me that lie was the same that told me that an orange ninja can appear at the first Mortal Kombat, years later discover that it was a damn glitch  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 08:13:17 pm »
The endless amounts of "Unlock Luigi in Super Mario 64" 'cheats' that I admittedly tried once or twice, only to realise they're fake.

...and the Laser Suit in Super Mario World.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 08:46:46 pm by hatkid »

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 01:53:10 am »
The endless amounts of "Unlock Luigi in Super Mario 64" 'cheats' that I admittedly tried once or twice, only to realise they're fake.

...and the Laser Suit in Super Mario World.

I love the L is Real 2401 rumour.

Though I was not that young at the time, I believe these were followed by rumours of unlocking Waluigi in Super Mario 64 DS involving the empty white door from the room where you change characters and/or entering the painting of Peach outside of the castle. Not sure about the details however.

(Hope it is OK to bump, I looked for a rules list but couldn't find one if there is one could somebody link please. Thanks : ) )
Nintendo collector/creator and aspiring mother. ✿