Author Topic: Moving to Australia, where do I start?  (Read 1501 times)

teck

PRO Supporter

Moving to Australia, where do I start?
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:38:24 am »
So I'll be moving to Australia soon.  Specifically Sydney, and I have no clue where to start with gaming on the other side of the planet.  Are there any cool stores anyone knows about?  Is there a good collector's community?  Does retro have a strong base at all there?  Anyone familiar with anything related to this willing to grace me with some knowledge would be appreciated.

hexen

Re: Moving to Australia, where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:48:01 am »
All I can say is get ready for paying stupid high prices for new games and unbearably laughable censorship.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:36:09 am »
All I can say is get ready for paying stupid high prices for new games and unbearably laughable censorship.

Don't they ban games like Grand Theft Auto from stores? Or else the stores crack under pressure to do so.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:15:12 pm »

Don't they ban games like Grand Theft Auto from stores? Or else the stores crack under pressure to do so.

They do have some pretty heavy handed censorship laws.  GTA is available since I have played with some friends I have who live over there, but I also have made purchases on the behalf of other's to get around this on steam before as well.

doafan

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 03:32:12 pm »

I guess packing your stuff, games first of course   ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

soera

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 07:06:20 pm »
Lucky! You get to admire the most awesome birds in the world flying around freely.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:57:39 pm »
I heard from being on Retro collect that Australia is the #1 worst place for finding retro video game even worse than in the United Kingdom. prices are through the roof I heard on anything and everything video games and virtualy everything I heard is considered rare.

So like hexen said and from what I heard Australia has video games but they are too vary vary high priced :(

You might as well be golfing
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 06:07:55 am »
Well you do have more chance to find some aus variant of certain games wich are are some of the most rare examples out there. Not stadium events lvl but a few steps below in the thousands

In the snes and megadrive department that is.

Also the back box art is pretty interesting compared to other pal releases wich can increase them prices since they look nice and some nice front cover variants, It's an interesting place if your after some of the more rare variants.

But since you are a US collector it will be kinda different to collect in australia since these are pal games.

that being said life if not only about collecting and playing games so some variety and other things is always a good thing
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:00:21 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 08:10:21 am »
I'm jealous. Say hi to Kylie Minogue for me!

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 11:55:16 am »
Sounds like I should just save money and go digital until I come back to the States for the most part.  Kind of a bummer, but I had mostly expected to live a pretty lean lifestyle while I was there.  I'm actually only bringing a laptop and a Raspberry Pi with me so I don't have to back a shit ton of consoles and games.  My goal is to bring little other than clothes with me as is, so I guess it just means I won't be bringing a lot back.  I expect to only be there for 3 years or so.  Steam and GOG will be my friends I suppose.