Author Topic: Do you put your game discs inside a disc wallet?  (Read 4642 times)

dreama1

Do you put your game discs inside a disc wallet?
« on: November 12, 2017, 04:11:10 am »
Do you put your game discs inside a disc wallet? If not, why? And is it safe rather than the case?

Re: Do you put your game discs inside a disc wallet?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 04:50:02 am »
I put my rare disc games in plastic CD cases similar to PS1 cases so I don't have to open the case when I want to play it and put stress on the art work or plastic and I can also put it in a case protector without having to open it up everytime I want to play :).     

As for common to uncommon games I always keep them in their regular case.  I assume disc wallets can be more convenient but I only use them for disc only games I have.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 06:35:58 am »
Disc wallets can damage the discs when inserting them the disc shaves the bottom everytime you remove and insert one in the disc wallet not to mention some disc wallets can be very tight.

In a normal disc case the disc doesn't touch the bottom and can remain in the same condition. It's pretty easy to store a disc nicely

I've had seen tons of discs that had light shave marks and sratches thanks to those disc wallets or disc sleeves.

Would not recommend them.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:37:36 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 07:03:43 am »
Disc wallets can damage the discs when inserting them the disc shaves the bottom everytime you remove and insert one in the disc wallet not to mention some disc wallets can be very tight.

In a normal disc case the disc doesn't touch the bottom and can remain in the same condition. It's pretty easy to store a disc nicely

I've had seen tons of discs that had light shave marks and sratches thanks to those disc wallets or disc sleeves.

Yeah I was thinking the same as that. Wondered if there was high market one that does not do said damage.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 07:14:17 am »
No

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:30:41 am »

Yeah I was thinking the same as that. Wondered if there was high market one that does not do said damage.

you cannot avoid damage overtime it will have light shave marks or sratches you have to slide the disc in and out no matter how of a good quality the disc wallet is.

I will say though, damage will never be letal for the discs, the damage is pretty light overall it should not have any effect if you take care of the discs other than the disc wallet ofcourse..

However if you want to keep your discs in the same condition for as long as possible I would not recommended to use these so called disc sleeves / wallets.

Personally I have seen many examples It's nice and all to have discs in a wallet but you should at least store your discs in a cd case to keep them in the same condition, gameplay wise it should just be fine damage is very minor like I said, it will not get worse after a certain point well at least not really noticable chances.

If you like minty discs they will be ruined that's for sure.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:54:57 am by sworddude »

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 09:55:41 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:08:23 pm by jce3000gt »

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 09:57:44 am »
^ What they said. 

HOWEVER.  I once customized a disc wallet with felt inside the sleeve and the discs over a period of 2 decades never had a scratch.  I suppose you could use thin microfiber towels to cut up instead of felt in today's world but either way you could use a disc wallet and not damage the discs.  Personally I'd rather have the full case/artwork experience.  Every time I go to swap out a disc I take a moment to take in and appreciate the artwork.   8)

what discs did you use.

Ps3 ps4 discs xbox 360 and xbox one wii u discs are very sturdy and are very hard to get scratches on

wii ps2 era and before are the ones that aren't as tough.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 10:09:11 am »
I used to with my music CDs for easy access. But never again after learning that these things help contribute to disc rot, due to the pages rubbing up against each other when there's movement or weight shifting.

Now I keep only burned copies of my CDs in one for the car.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:10:46 am by burningdoom »

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:40:02 am »
I used to with my music CDs for easy access. But never again after learning that these things help contribute to disc rot, due to the pages rubbing up against each other when there's movement or weight shifting.

Now I keep only burned copies of my CDs in one for the car.

I have no clue where you got that info but disc rot is more influenced thanks to the temperature. your info seems incorrect if you would like my opinion.

Very high or low temperatures or a very tropical climate can increase the speed when disc rot might appear and just overtime with normal conditions.

Will not appear faster or slower when storing them in either cd jewel cases or a disc wallet.

As far as disc rot goes I don't think that we have to fear for that in our current life time if you just store them normally and don't live in a tropical jungle of some sorts  :D

maybe for the sega cd saturn but otherwise not really an issue. unless you collect older dvd'd and music cd's wich were of low quality. game discs have been made allot more sturdy since you should be able to use them allot and for longer play sessions not to mention that they should also still work after some abuse since it was also for kids.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:56:24 am by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 11:07:48 am »
The information is stored at the top of the disc. When the pages of the binder rub against each other over time, it wears on the disc eventually causing chunks of information to be rubbed away with it, making holes (or disc rot) in the information.

This is pretty well known. Not only do I have personal experience with it from the music CDs I mentioned, but you can Google "CD binder disc rot" and find plenty of other people that have posted about the issue.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 11:13:23 am »
The information is stored at the top of the disc. When the pages of the binder rub against each other over time, it wears on the disc eventually causing chunks of information to be rubbed away with it, making holes (or disc rot) in the information.

This is pretty well known. Not only do I have personal experience with it from the music CDs I mentioned, but you can Google "CD binder disc rot" and find plenty of other people that have posted about the issue.

top information storage is correct I'll give you that but the top part of a disc scratches allot less. That part will not even receive visual damage from a disc wallet, bottom side is allot more fragile than the top in terms of scratches etc. maybe if some sand is inside the disc wallet.

As far as top side scratches go you have to put some real effort to damage that top layer of a disc especially of console discs wich also have a layer for some disc art aside from some protection. Maybe with normal copy discs, early dvd's or music cd's but otherwise not really something to fear about. you cannot compare all discs to console game discs, console games are allot more sturdy since they have to last unlike dvd's or music cd's

Also that issue that you mentioned isn't disc rot, i could just scratch the top side of some of my discs to remove data layers and render my games unplayable, I would say physical damage but not disc rot, disc rot appears without scratches but thanks to some chemical reactions without any traces of phsyical damage over time. cold or hot temperatures could increase the chances of disc rot appearing faster.

You can't confuse disc rot with physical abuse if I read you info correctly two totally different things.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:26:42 am by sworddude »

kashell

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 11:32:57 am »
Nope.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 11:35:51 am »
For the few loose CD-based games I've owned I put them in generic jewel cases until I was able to find the original case or replace the, with a complete copy.

azure

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 12:09:33 pm »
I always keep them in their cases.