Author Topic: Movie and TV Show News [No Spoilers]  (Read 1627 times)

Movie and TV Show News [No Spoilers]
« on: November 13, 2017, 06:12:04 pm »
While we have a thread for what we watched, I thought it would be alright to discuss upcoming stuff in a different thread.  I would say that this should be a no spoilers place, just more about recent announcements and what not.

To start, a pretty big one in the news right now is that Lord of the Rings is getting an Amazon tv show.  Amazon paid the Tolkien estate 250 million dollars just for the rights.  That does not include the actual cost of making the show.  It has no one attached, so it's likely years out, but this is pretty big deal.

https://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

I know there was a lot of people against it, but I'm 100% okay with it, though with a big asterisk at the end of that, because it depends on who they get for it and what their plans are.  If it's all side and extra stuff from Tolkien or even new material, that's what I want.  I don't want to see Hobbit or LOTR remade, I want different stuff, because I want to see that world expanded.  I also don't want to see them try and "Game of Thrones" it.  That's the only reason Amazon did this deal, but these are vastly different types of stories and I don't want a more "adult" take on the series, which usually just means sex, nudeity, and killing off a lot of people.

Re: Movie and TV Show News [No Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:07 pm »
I am against Amazon remaking LOTR as the movies did it almost perfectly.  Wouldn't be against a Hobbit show though.  Also on a side note i think an "adult" version would be pretty funny.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:24 pm »
I am against Amazon remaking LOTR as the movies did it almost perfectly.  Wouldn't be against a Hobbit show though.  Also on a side note i think an "adult" version would be pretty funny.

They have said it's basically a prequel, set before all the Fellowship stuff, using the other stuff Tolkien wrote for material, which is why I'm interested.  I definitely don't want a LOTR remake, but I do want to see more stuff happening in that world.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:50:52 am »
The poster for Rampage was revealed, and I realized suddenly how bad this is gonna be.

https://i.redd.it/36k6co2ov7yz.jpg

Like, this was a bad idea from the start, it's a based on a game that was literally about people who became giant monsters, beating up buildings, and eating people, which has no serious story potential.  On the other hand, this could've work as like an R-rated dark comedy, like Colossal was in a way.   I'm still gonna watch it as a giant monster movie fan, but man this is gonna be just a lame movie in the end.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:07:48 am »
The poster for Rampage was revealed, and I realized suddenly how bad this is gonna be.

Like, this was a bad idea from the start, it's a based on a game that was literally about people who became giant monsters, beating up buildings, and eating people, which has no serious story potential.  On the other hand, this could've work as like an R-rated dark comedy, like Colossal was in a way.   I'm still gonna watch it as a giant monster movie fan, but man this is gonna be just a lame movie in the end.
No Rock no

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:28:28 pm »

No Rock no

This is par for the course with him.  I like the Rock, but he does a lot of stuff like this.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:47:28 pm »
Oh man...this looks freaking AMAZING! Cannot wait!

EVERYTHING in the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been leading up to this film.

Avengers: Infinity War Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65hW9YYY5A

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 03:04:58 pm »
I'm pretty excited, I can't wait for it.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:38:28 pm »
Bit of pretty big movie news in terms of changing the landscape, but it seems that Disney is trying to buy Fox, not including anything related to sports or news.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

The good that comes out of this for Marvel fans is that it would mean properties like Deadpool, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four, would return back to Marvel to be used in movies and tv shows.  No longer would Marvel have to avoid anything related to mutants, team-ups like in the comics could happen more freely, generally just allowing for more awesome characters to show up in good movies.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:07:00 pm »
That's bad for Deadpool and Wolverine, though. Do you think Disney is gonna be keen on continuing that R-rated direction?

I like that it's happening for Marvel, but in the back of my mind, I'm pissed about it too, lol. That's because while the Disney buyout of Marvel was fantastic for the movies, it made Marvel's comics unreadable garbage. And I'm a huge comic reader.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:16:40 pm »
That's bad for Deadpool and Wolverine, though. Do you think Disney is gonna be keen on continuing that R-rated direction?

I like that it's happening for Marvel, but in the back of my mind, I'm pissed about it too, lol. That's because while the Disney buyout of Marvel was fantastic for the movies, it made Marvel's comics unreadable garbage. And I'm a huge comic reader.

Seeing how big of a money maker Deadpool and Logan were, I'd say they might try to find a way.  I've heard people saying they could do some alternative branding, like "Marvel Knights" or something along that line, or just try to make sure the focus is on Marvel and not Disney when it comes to pushing the movies.  I'm certainly not 100% on it, there's a chance they could soften things up a tad from hard R-rated stuff, which can still work, but I'm hoping they try to find a way to make it work.