Author Topic: What video game genre do you think is most underdone in modern gaming?  (Read 1500 times)

Hello everyone :).     During the age of modern home consoles it seems a lot of the nostalgic game genres that used to dominate our consoles and arcades as kids were replaced by the overwhelming abundance of first person shooters, racers, sports and RPG titles that we have grown to love.  But sometimes it feels like their is a void in some amazing genres of game that only indie developers or the daring attempt to try and video games felt more diverse and versatile in the 8 and 16 bit eras :D.

For me it's definitely the beat em up and shoot em up genres. :)

I miss the days of the store shelves being riddled with Contra III, Mega Man X games, Side scrolling shoot em ups from almost every Major company from Konami on and they were really amazing but it seems with the transistion to 3D visuals the side scrolling shoot em ups took a smaller role in the libraries. :(     Recently Cuphead has breathed a breath of fresh air into the genre but I think we still could use some more fun ones :)    Cuphead is so perfectly done and it emulates the retro flare but with such respect and creativity.  It's it's own identity and unique but takes all the best of Mega Man and Contra to make a beautiful modern addition to the genre.  I hope Cuphead 2 happens soon :).   

Beat em ups also were so amazing and abundant but now it is a parched and vacant genre of times passed.   Games like Turtles In Time, Maximum Carnage, Battletoads.   They all took our quarters and our hearts :).    But now I can't name many beat em ups of the same standard and it seems like the nostalgic genres are over looked in a way.

Also top down shooters, and arcade style racers like Vigilante 8 and Crusin USA and such.  Those were really fun. 

What genre of games do you wish got more attention by modern developers? 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:05:37 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: What video game genre do you think is most underdone in modern gaming?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:02:32 am »
Before this year, I would've said 3D Platforming Collectathon's, but I've gotten three of them this year, so I think we can take a break for a little bit lol

And while you put Vigilante 8 under "arcade racers", it would be better put under "car combat" games.  Vigilante 8, Twisted Metal, stuff like that you don't see a lot of.  I'd would love to see an HD remake of Twisted Metal 2 lol

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:03:43 am »
Definitely fighting games. There is a lot of fighting games on the market but most of them are sequels to old franchises and I wish some newer ones would be created.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:13:46 am »
Traditional shoot-em ups. What I mean by "traditional" is non bullet-hell ones. There are plenty of bullet-hell shoot-em ups, but I'm not good enough to really enjoy those. I want a game that I can get past the 3rd level. Something along the lines of RayStorm or G-Darius.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:00:46 pm by burningdoom »

telly

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:28:36 am »
Light Gun Shooters :(

I want more Time Crisis!
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:23:12 am »
Arcade racers are a lost art. You might consider NFS to be that, but I very much depends on which NFS title. Most racing games now take themselves to be like racing simulators, so much so that that critics often dock points if the driving doesn't feel a certain way.

Also beat-em-ups have been a dead genre for over a decade.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:45:22 am »
Sadly three of my favorite genres; fighting games, SHMUPS, and light gun games, which make sense since these genres were made popular 20+ years ago by the thriving arcade scene. Now, arcades a mostly gone, delegated to bardcades or places that cater to retro arcade crowds. Sadly, at least here in the US, new arcade titles rarely come out, and even Japan where arcades are still relevant, they aren't releasing nearly as many games of these genres.

For better or worse there is the indi scene which has created several games from these genres, well, except light gun games, but I find these games to be a mixed bag in terms of quality. I feel like these genres really shined when they had big budget studios backing them and given the resources they needed to make technically impressive, fun titles for the arcade, and later the home console.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 12:21:11 pm »
Sadly three of my favorite genres; fighting games, SHMUPS, and light gun games, which make sense since these genres were made popular 20+ years ago by the thriving arcade scene. Now, arcades a mostly gone, delegated to bardcades or places that cater to retro arcade crowds. Sadly, at least here in the US, new arcade titles rarely come out, and even Japan where arcades are still relevant, they aren't releasing nearly as many games of these genres.

For better or worse there is the indi scene which has created several games from these genres, well, except light gun games, but I find these games to be a mixed bag in terms of quality. I feel like these genres really shined when they had big budget studios backing them and given the resources they needed to make technically impressive, fun titles for the arcade, and later the home console.

I have to agree with you on that, not a big fan of the retro 2d indi scene myself, there not bad games but I'd rather play something else or just modern games. not to mention that there are some other things that make me dislike the retro indi games in terms of presentation and themes.

However these differences are expected and maybe even a must since you also want to attract more modern people to these kinds of games to make a profit after the time spend when creating them games.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 01:26:09 am »
Complete retail games.  I miss the days of yore that when you purchased a game you got the whole thing.