Author Topic: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?  (Read 14171 times)

Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:19:01 pm »
I don’t care for fanboyism anymore, and can find something I like in any system and I’ve been noticing a trend of of many gamers only liking Sony and Nintendo’s stuff and I never understood it. Though I’m not a fanboy, the original Xbox is my favorite system of all time because it didn’t require memory cards and because it’s easily moddable and is the most powerful of the 6th generation. Also Jet Set Radio Future. And I’m just stating facts, this isn’t fanboyism, I’m a huge fan of Ratchet and and Clank and Mariokart as well.. also I’m currently playing shenmue for the first time and loving it! So what’s the deal with many, especially retro gamers hating on Xbox? If someone has an actual reason for not liking it, I’d love to hear that, like if you don’t like the controller or something.

sworddude

Re: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:07 pm »
It's the games the library of this console

It's just a sony console with pretty much only realistic games shooters racers simulation etc you name it

While there are other games they are far and few in between not to mention there are no memorable mascots for this system except for halo if you like shooters.

Also many games that were released were also on other systems not to mention there were less releases on xbox way less.

There are no rpg's there are no good 2D platformers there are very few interesting games in other genre's than shooters and racing there are no interesting action adventure games such as mario or excellent ps2 titles such as ico and shadow of the collosus just to name some examples.

No cool 2D games no great party 2D 3d games like with other consoles. There are some but the quality is lacking allot in comparison.

I find it a very mediocre system with a few gems here and there as far as exclusives go It's a very bland system with few unique games. It's pretty logical why not many like the system. It has not much to offer.

The only positive thing I would give it compare to other systems is that the prices are low except for some of the better games wich still are relatively low.

Sony has all kinds of games for everyone realistic 2d 3D party games etc, nintendo has the best Ip's mascots while xbox kinda pales in comparison within all these aspects.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:41:58 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 01:58:54 pm »
There's fanboys of all the major console companies. (There are XBox ones, as well. I'm in an XBox group on Facebook.) Unfortunately, those fanboys often make console wars into a pissing contest, take it far to seriously, and ruin many groups/boards online.

Personally, I'm a gamer of all consoles. If I can afford it, and there's more than a handful of games I want to play on it, I'm interested in it.

azure

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »
I really like the OG Xbox, it has some fantastic games. That being said the PS2 just dominated that generation, and arguably has a far superior library to that of the OG Xbox. I don't really understand any hate it would get though, some individuals just dislike the Xbox brand as a whole for various reasons, I've noticed.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 02:10:53 pm »
I don’t care for fanboyism anymore, and can find something I like in any system and I’ve been noticing a trend of of many gamers only liking Sony and Nintendo’s stuff and I never understood it. Though I’m not a fanboy, the original Xbox is my favorite system of all time because it didn’t require memory cards and because it’s easily moddable and is the most powerful of the 6th generation. Also Jet Set Radio Future. And I’m just stating facts, this isn’t fanboyism, I’m a huge fan of Ratchet and and Clank and Mariokart as well.. also I’m currently playing shenmue for the first time and loving it! So what’s the deal with many, especially retro gamers hating on Xbox? If someone has an actual reason for not liking it, I’d love to hear that, like if you don’t like the controller or something.

It might be because Xbox debuted in the 2000s and isn't really retro or nostalgic yet so it lost a lot of that charm Nintendo and Sony have obtained throughout the decades. Sony and Nintendo both had their hat in the ring long before so maybe they developed a lot more nostalgia and sentimental value form childhood memories. :).  I'm not sure if you mean Xbox as a brand or just the original but if you mean the whole company, It's also an easy punching bag because of the red ring of death moniker that became so popular which made the Xbox as a console brand look inferior and non durable. 

I actually very rarely see retro lovers/collectors hating on modern consoles in general.  But it might be just because I stay on wholesome communities like this one. I always try to avoid and usually leave groups where it's just a flame war contest every day of people arguing instead of actually enjoying their games.  I never got the flame war on either side.  I always say play what you like and let others do the same. :)

For me Xbox in general has incredible first party franchises especially with both shooters and racers and is known for 2 generations in a row with amazing if not flawless controllers. :D.   I think all 3 major companies have amazing legacies and tons of pros and cons to be discussed :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:20:36 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 02:29:38 pm »
I welcome all the hate and disinterest; the original XBOX was probably the easiest, most affordable console to collect for and was the first console where I obtained every game I was after. I don't think I spend over $15 for any OG XBOX games, even really rare stuff like Operation Genesis. It is sad though that it doesn't get more love and appreciation since it has so much more to offer than just Halo and Halo 2. I actually like the XBOX more than the GC in terms of Gen 6 consoles.

telly

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 02:37:19 pm »
Other than the awful reliability issues, I don't really get the hate for the X360 either. It's a solid console with a good library. And it has a lovely controller.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

hexen

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 04:13:43 pm »
Games for Xbox worth owning:
Halo
Halo 2

I'm exaggerating, but only a little. The Xbox had almost no unique library to speak of outside of Halo, Microsoft really needs to get on their knees and pray to Bungie every day for the existence of their brand. I don't think anyone really hates it, but it affords so much fewer options for collecting than the PS2 or Gamecube.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »
Halo
Halo 2

I'm exaggerating, but only a little. The Xbox had almost no unique library to speak of outside of Halo, Microsoft really needs to get on their knees and pray to Bungie every day for the existence of their brand. I don't think anyone really hates it, but it affords so much fewer options for collecting than the PS2 or Gamecube.

There's some fantastic exclusive games on original XBox not named Halo. Here's a list off the top of my head.

-Arx Fatalis
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
-Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (worth owning the system for this game alone, forget Halo)
-Fable
-Far Cry: Instinct
-Forza Motorsport
-Jade Empire (such an underrated and unique action-RPG)
-Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey
-Outrun II
-MechAssault 1 & 2
-Shenmue II
-Panzer Dragoon: Orta
-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
-Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse
-Yager

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 05:03:32 pm »
Halo
Halo 2

There's some fantastic exclusive games on original XBox not named Halo. Here's a list off the top of my head.

-Arx Fatalis
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
-Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes
-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (worth owning the system for this game alone, forget Halo)
-Fable
-Far Cry: Instinct
-Forza Motorsport
-Jade Empire (such an underrated and unique action-RPG)
-Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey
-Outrun II
-MechAssault 1 & 2
-Shenmue II
-Panzer Dragoon: Orta
-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
-Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse
-Yager

yes there some but it's quite a small list not to mention i would say half of those titles are semi good not excellent or beyond or even worth it to get an xbox.

and while gamecube has just a little bit more titles worth owning than xbox if were including mediocre good xbox titles that is pretty much all of those gamecube titles are actually excellent memorable titles. also allot of good first party titles with memorable characters, while gamecube has way fewer games than ps2 the games that are in those genres are excellent and usually better than ps2. I mean in party games gamecube dominates compared to ps2 the games are colourfull and the mascots are indestructable, and even in rpg's while the gamecube has few they are better than the best old school rpg's on the ps2. skies of arcadia and path of radiance are better than any ps2 rpg in my opinion. also action platformers adventure games mario and zelda are pretty hard to beat really not many ps2 mascots that could hold a candle to that.

while allot of those xbox titles are semi good but far from excellent with some exceptions not to mention non memorable characters.

In comparison to ps2 with og xbox not only is the quality better on ps2 also a hell lot more games worth owning and also plenty of memorable games.

Yes there are a few great xbox games but there are very few titles wich are actually worth it to get an xbox. Not to mention that those great games are not super great especially when you would compare them to the best games on other consoles from that generation or many other consoles period.

I could easily ignore xbox.

It has like 2 shoot em ups not even some decently good ones
it has very few rpg's not even normal ones like ps2 or gamecube.
no memorable mascots.
no interesting action platformers 2d or 3d
Pretty much no excellent memorable games compared to other consoles

just to name some examples.

It is only fair why so many people ignore the xbox. There is not much that the xbox gives compared to other consoles from that generation or allot of the older retro consoles unless were talking about atari esk consoles or handhelds than yes xbox is far superior. People are not missing out if they never get an xbox.

It is better than some older consoles I'll give it that but that's not really something to boast about.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:07:06 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 06:09:35 pm »
^ I was just replying to the post about there only being Halo 1 & 2 on XBox. Didn't even touch on like 90% of the stuff you are replying to me about.

Yeah, PS2 had more exclusives, never said it didn't. Just saying there are plenty of exclusives that are good that aren't Halo 1 & 2. And if you haven't played Panzer Dragoon: Orta or Stubbs the Zombie, you are definitely missing out.

It's so cheap to own and collect for, and it has the best multiplatform versions of games, being the powerhouse console of that generation. To not own it, as a retro gamer, is a shame.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 06:27:42 pm »
^ I was just replying to the post about there only being Halo 1 & 2 on XBox. Didn't even touch on like 90% of the stuff you are replying to me about.

Yeah, PS2 had more exclusives, never said it didn't. Just saying there are plenty of exclusives that are good that aren't Halo 1 & 2. And if you haven't played Panzer Dragoon: Orta or Stubbs the Zombie, you are definitely missing out.

It's so cheap to own and collect for, and it has the best multiplatform versions of games, being the powerhouse console of that generation. To not own it, as a retro gamer, is a shame.

Actually I have and while they are great there are far better games on the other consoles.

Also speaking of power houses it doesn't really matter I mean even the gamecube had double the power of a ps2 console wich is kinda insane to me but I will say that the games look more polished at least for the games that I like on gamecube. I mean gta etc are pretty impressive on ps2 if your into that kind of stuff.

Yes some games are slightly better thanks to the power of xbox but only for very few games is it actually important since most of those games didn't age well. Not to mention the improvements aren't that big for games like outrun 2006, but it could be a solid reason for the star wars games wich are pricy on xbox.

Still though since your so big on xbox I'm pretty suprised that your didn't mention or even own any of the otogi games wich are in my opinion the best games to have or play on xbox o well ::)

I would still say that people are not missing out on much, stubbs zombie can be played on pc for cheap, you can get physical copies probably better than the console version and as far as orta goes you could always go to the sega saturn.

For people who are fan of old games and not really the normal mainstream 3d games I mean shenmue II wasn't released on the dreamcast in the US so I guess that's a nice reason since you can't play it anywhere else. Also arguably pretty much all of the sega games. still though It has not much to offer in comparison and not only compared to ps2 or gamecube pretty much all good consoles except for atari esk ones. So not only from It's generation does it have less to offer but compared to many.

Also saying that owning an xbox is a must for a retrogamer is pretty bold considering it has very few actually good retro games. Allot of games on xbox are ps3 ps4 games with bad grapics, barely any retro games on there if I'm honest especially compared to ps2 and gamecube.

I'm not saying it is a bad console I'm just stating some facts why the xbox is ignored by many wich seems very reasonable in my eyes.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:50:24 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 07:28:56 pm »
Its the first time I've ever seen someone call Fable, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, or Stubbs the Zombie exclusive titles. I'll give you Jade Empire because it was a couple years until that was on PC.

Flashback2012

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 07:37:53 pm »
I don't hate the Xbox systems but I have a severe disdain for them. I had to replace my launch Xbox and came to find out that my replacement system was also experiencing issues. I was a peon in the GameStop system when the 360 launched so I lived through the extremely shorted pre-order debacle as well as the systems that had RROD and E-174 issues right out of the gate. Of course customers blamed US and not Microsoft for this.  :-\

It used to be that if there was a multi-platform game, I would opt for the Xbox version as it would be the "superior" release. Well once I experienced issues with my replacement Xbox, that "logic" went by the wayside pretty quickly and I instead opted for the Cube or PS2 version over Xbox. I would still buy Xbox console exclusives if I found them for a good price and I did this for Xbox 360 releases even though it wouldn't be till 2013 before I finally decided it was "safe" enough to buy a Xbox 360 (the Xbox One had launched by this time).

Because of the issues I experienced with both the Xbox and 360, I still to this day cannot bring myself to purchase the Xbox version of a multi-platform release. The only Xbox One games I picked up on Black Friday were console exclusive releases as I would always opt for the PS4 release instead. While my Xbox One has been nothing but impeccable since I acquired it, I've had this lingering thought in my head that it's a matter of when, not if, the system is going to fail and I'm going to need to replace it.  :(

pizzasafari

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 08:00:29 pm »
I love the original Xbox. People only think it has no games because Microsoft did an awful job of marketing anything that wasn't Halo. Sega was pretty much exclusively an Xbox game developer after the Dreamcast sank, everything that wasn't made by Sonic Team was Xbox exclusive and they put out some REALLY good stuff that gen. Plenty of good stuff outside of Sega games too. And not having limited memory for the first time was such a relief. I look back on it fondly and I have no idea why anyone wouldn't.

And I know some of the games we consider to be exclusives aren't technically exclusives since they're on PC too, but I don't really like playing games on PC and I don't think I'm alone in that, so to people like us they're basically exclusive.

Objectively PS2 is superior, sure, but Xbox is great too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:05:53 pm by LeJason »