Author Topic: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?  (Read 14154 times)

Re: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 08:55:03 pm »
like most have said, the xbox original has a small library of exclusives. But I recommend having a Xbox360 slim rather then an xbox original because it is mostly backwards compatible. And, you can get a huge 500 gig hard drive for it. But i rarely use my xbox 360 and am mostly on my PS3 super slim because it is better overall in my opinion. As far as a PS2 goes yea, way better system of the 6th generation  if you can get memory cards for $5.00 or less that is.

it is harder to change an xbox original hardrive to something bigger and once you use that all up you need to start to delete some of your game progress files. where in the PS2 just buy another memory card and store them in something.

If you like original Xbox I recommend the Xbox 360  slim. and get one in decent shape. it should last a short while, at least ::) and buy a 500 gig hardrive but remember it has to be an exclusive xbox 360 only harddirve not any other kind. you can buy them off walmart.com for under $50.00 as off 2-5-2017

installing a 360 slim hardrive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSBsvEzc7Tk

although you need batteries for the controllers and that can be a pain :(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:01:12 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 09:12:02 pm »
There is hate for the original Xbox? The original Xbox for me was my first console when I was a kid, and I still love it. Wish I could currently use mine (I do have an Xbox 360, so some games can still be played), but I have to reflow the Foxlink PSU as it now makes the crackling noise and is thus now a fire hazard. That's what the power cable recall was about over a decade ago, though the newer cable doesn't solve the issue and I no longer have that one.

Anyway, to bring up some other exclusives nobody brought up that I find to be good...

-Blinx: The Time Sweeper
-Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-Fuzion Frenzy
-Midtown Madness 3
-Project Gotham Racing
-Project Gotham Racing 2
-RalliSport Challenge

Then of course, again how it usually would offer the best experience on the multiplats. Get one of the two official component cables that also allows you to use optical audio (because Microsoft stupidly never put an optical audio port directly on the console-never happened until Xbox 360 S (E doesn't have it) and Xbox One), and man, the experience you can get with that thing.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 09:13:21 pm »
I don't hate the Xbox but to me the controller is the most important part of a system so consoles like the N64 Wii and Xbox original games that are not backwards compatible on the 360 don't get much play time.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 09:19:03 pm »
You don't, if you don't mind wires you can get a wired Xbox 360 controller, or turn a wireless one into a wired one. You can just simply plug the play and charge kit cable into the controller with no batteries (make sure the AA pack is in the controller), and voila, it's now a wired controller. I've done it before, it works well.

People give Microsoft crap for requiring AA batteries, but it's better long-term, though it would be nice if they included the play and charge kit right out of the box. AA batteries aren't proprietary and can easily be replaced. Proprietary batteries are more of a pain to replace when they inevitably die/have little life left. I have to do this on my first two Game Boy Advance SPs, I get only 1 hour of battery life out of them now and have to take a chance on third-party batteries.

Also see: The pain PSP owners have had for years as the only good battery (the Sony one) is long discontinued-though the PSP can still be used with the AC adapter and no battery thankfully.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:27:39 pm by bigonanime »

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »
You don't, if you don't mind wires you can get a wired Xbox 360 controller, or turn a wireless one into a wired one. You can just simply plug the play and charge kit cable into the controller with no batteries (make sure the AA pack is in the controller), and voila, it's now a wired controller. I've done it before, it works well.

Charging kit is a must

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 10:52:18 pm »
I don't like it because it's an ugly, massive, western looking console. It just screams American early 2000s design, and that rubs me the wrong way. The first controller was massive, and the console is shaped like a massive X. Thanks, but I don't have room for that. I guess I'm a stickler for aesthetics. Japanese console design is much better.

Plus, because it was a console for a US market, it's lacking a lot in the games I like to play. Western games just have a different feel and aesthetic design, and that's just not my thing. It's a shame the Xbox holds so many amazing SEGA games. That's its saving grace. I'm just waiting for emulation so I can play them.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 12:31:43 am »
Its the first time I've ever seen someone call Fable, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, or Stubbs the Zombie exclusive titles. I'll give you Jade Empire because it was a couple years until that was on PC.

Pretty sure most people are using the term exclusive to point out games that weren't available on the console competition, not whether or not there was a PC version (And to keep in mind that gaming PCs, or at least a PC that can play games, weren't really as commonplace then as they are nowadays). Also, both KOTORs came out for the Xbox several months before they did for the PC.

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:13 am »
Xbox suffers from the double whammy of being too new (the early 2000s stuff is just barely turning the corner into retro proper), and too western- it's not surprising to think that retro gamers who've been soaked in Japanese companies & content their whole run might have a little trouble finding their place with an American one. I certainly did- I've only had an original Xbox for about a year & a half now.

Games for Xbox worth owning:
Halo
Halo 2

I'm exaggerating, but only a little. The Xbox had almost no unique library to speak of outside of Halo, Microsoft really needs to get on their knees and pray to Bungie every day for the existence of their brand. I don't think anyone really hates it, but it affords so much fewer options for collecting than the PS2 or Gamecube.

Xbox actually has a notable set of exclusive titles- about 200 of them, in fact*. Xbox never really pushed the easily marketable mascot type games. Couple that with the PS2's utter dominance in the era, and it's an easy console to overlook. But if you're willing to actually dig a bit and really look into it, there's lots of good to be had.

I'd consider looking into Sega's offerings on the system as a starter- Gun Valkyrie, the Otogi games, and Panzer Dragoon Orta are all system sellers for me.

Its the first time I've ever seen someone call Fable, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, or Stubbs the Zombie exclusive titles. I'll give you Jade Empire because it was a couple years until that was on PC.

And now for my asterisk from earlier- *console exclusives. Yes, there's a few titles that made the jump to PC, but most folks really keep the two as separate entities. I certainly do- hell, I don't even have a steam account, PC releases mean nothing to me.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:13 am »
Xbox suffers from the double whammy of being too new (the early 2000s stuff is just barely turning the corner into retro proper), and too western- it's not surprising to think that retro gamers who've been soaked in Japanese companies & content their whole run might have a little trouble finding their place with an American one. I certainly did- I've only had an original Xbox for about a year & a half now.

The GTA and call of duty series are  japanese yea sure  ::) Pretty much all first person shooters are US

Pretty much all games that aged badly or some that are great were made in the US especially during the ps2 era

EA currenly mainly sports formerly also very interesting platformers rpg´s etc pretty huge US company even today. Tons of ea games on sega and tons on ps1 onwards

god war etc not to mention rare wich already died but still.

For the mainstream there were plenty of non japanese games I would even say that the non japanese games dominated the markets till even today, while the japan influenced ones were the niche with pretty mediocre sales with some exceptions like final fantasy and kingdom hearts mario pokemon.

Halo was made by microsoft again not japanese very succesfull.

The xbox did pretty well back in the day it wasn´t a bust not as great as ps2 but the xbox was very expensive compared to the ps2 wich is a reason why ps2 was so succefull. I would not say that the games on ps2 would have given such high sales but rather It´s price point.

The mainstream games were just as good on xbox, niche titles would not make that big of a difference. also if am not mistaken the ps2 was cheaper than a dvd player so it was also bought just for that.

Xbox was powerfull and all but they did´t make good use of the xbox hardware, it was also pretty tough to develop games on the ps2 thanks to It´s limited power pretty much 4 times less but yet they managed to make the difference pretty minimal. Price is more powerfull than power it seems.

Xbox It´s just a console with many games that didn´t age well however back in the day such games did sell since people were especially into 3D realistic games. Shooters racing etc those are the ones that sell the best, xbox did great in that regard. However with such games usually newer means better It´s just how the world works.

also it might have 200 excusives but only a small fraction is actually good, not all exclusives can be good.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:15:35 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

shfan

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 11:46:25 am »
They do?  :-\

Welp.. I'd agree with a lot of what's said here regarding things like the system/xbox range still being a little new to be seen as particularly retro, having limited exclusives in comparison to the PS2 and Cube and being a great big lump of a thing. I think another thing which may put off retro gamers is the era of the system coupled with the lack of interest from Japanese developers - the PS1/Saturn/N64 era saw the move to (hideous) 3D and the erosion or disappearance of many genres, particularly in 2D games, those that were left tended to be produced in Japan. By the time we get to the PS2 era, Western studios are churning out FPS, action-adventure/3rd person shooters, vanilla action adventure, sports/racing and very little else, that's the Xbox's range with a few exceptions. PS2? Survival horrors, weird Japanese budget games (Simple Series), classic shoot 'em ups, Kingdom fricking Hearts, you name it. Nintendo trots out its usual fare (which is nonetheless delicious) and also benefits from some quirky exclusives.
That said, there are still exclusives on the system (notably the 'Dreamcast 2' range from Sega), I really enjoyed Voodoo Vince, thought it was a great little platformer. It's also very affordable (as said) and has a catalogue of great games - it's just that the majority are not exclusive and are Western, so it works well as an add-on system to one or both of the others rather than the only console to own from the era.

(I never owned an Xbox when they were current, I picked up a system for buttons and then bought scores of games for 50p ea. from a game chain in the UK that was clearing out their stock of older titles, my Xbox collection was seriously cheap).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:49:05 am by shfan »

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 12:42:43 pm »
As a shmup lover the 360 was by far the superior system of the last generation IMO. And quite a few Japanese only titles were region free too.
I always felt the PS3 was cumbersome and annoying to operate. Never liked the system. Many great games for it, though.

This generation I think the PS4 craps all over the Xbone. I own both systems. Only XB1 exclusive I've really cared for yet was Raiden V and that's no longer exclusive after a superior version was recently released for the PS4. I'm also totally digging Cuphead and believe it to be a small masterpiece exclusive to the XB1, but since it's not released in physical form the game doesn't really exist as far as I'm concerned :)
Speaking of digital only: Shame on you Xbox One, your physical game library pales compared to the PS4.

Haven't tried the Switch yet, but looking forward to giving it a go eventually.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:49:50 pm by medisto »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 12:55:09 pm »

When you aren't a PC gamer, PC games don't matter.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 01:13:58 pm »
Maybe I’m ignorant, but I didn’t realize there was hate for the Xbox.
I really don’t care if people say there aren’t many good games on it. Xbox gave me Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR I & II, and Outrun 2. Between those 4 games, the Xbox was well worth it, even for someone who doesn’t like the Halo games.
I even garnered some enjoyment from Tron 2.0 Killer App. Definitely has its flaws, but it does make you feel like you’re in the Tron world.

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 02:19:05 pm »

When you aren't a PC gamer, PC games don't matter.

Yeah I just think its funny that people dismiss PC out right. And people say PC gamers have a superiority complex?

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 02:39:14 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:05:20 pm by jce3000gt »