Author Topic: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?  (Read 14159 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 04:03:41 pm »
Its the first time I've ever seen someone call Fable, Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, or Stubbs the Zombie exclusive titles. I'll give you Jade Empire because it was a couple years until that was on PC.

When you aren't a PC gamer, PC games don't matter.

Yeah I just think its funny that people dismiss PC out right. And people say PC gamers have a superiority complex?

I never said anything was superior, just that I don't play on PC.

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »
Naw I just mean in general. For a long time when I would say I'm a PC gamer they would just assume "Oh, you play World of Warcraft?" -as if its the only thing to be played.

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 12:35:10 am »
The GTA and call of duty series are  japanese yea sure  ::) Pretty much all first person shooters are US

Thank you for proving my point- you're not naming any games from before 1997. I did, after all, specify RETRO gamers. If you've spent the last decade or two playing systems from the 80s and early 90s, you've been playing almost exclusively Japanese machines with Japanese first party titles.

Unless you want to argue that GTA and Call of Duty are similar enough in feel and gameplay to Mario/Sonic/Zelda/etc. that it shouldn't phase anyone to switch?

Xbox was/is decidely more 'american' in tone for its library, focusing more on dark, gritty gun-based games than the light platformer fare on the Japanese systems that preceded it. It is not so strange to think that, now that it's just old enough to start really seeming 'retro', that people who don't keep tabs on modern gaming might be offput by it. I also imagine the stigma will fade as those who grew up in the 2000s playing these games naturally age into 'retro gamers'.

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 01:50:44 am »
Those are all good reasons. Part of it is probably is it's just what I grew up with and have never cared for Sony's controllers before the PS4. There are definitely more ps2 games, that's because it was vastly more successful, though the multiplats that did make it to the xbox were surperior visually and usually had more content. As for comparing the 360 and PS3, the PS3 is definitely more powerful, and was also more successful worldwide, though I prefer the 360 in this instance because it didn't require you to install data to play the game, and I personally think the controller was more comfortable. This generation, however, I'm completely with the PS4 because the controller is vastly improved, and the Xbox One has even less exclusives than its predecessors. Of course that no more used games shit they pulled at the beginning really turned me off. Basically I gravitate toward what is closest to what I'm looking for in a console, regardless of the company behind it.

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 02:05:03 am »
I suppose you could say it was made for more realistic "American titles" and the fact that even the OG xbox might not be considered retro yet that makes sense. But don't forget it helped SEGA out when the Dreamcast died. A lot of stuff in development for the Dreamcast ended up on the Xbox, that's another reason I like it. Also because it was the most powerful of that generation, didn't require memory cards, and while it did have a vastly smaller library than the PS2 because it wasn't as successful, the multiplats that did make their way there were usually the best versions, looking and running better and sometimes having more content. And keep in mind that if we're talking retro Sonic specifically, the Xbox version of Mega Collection Plus is one of the best and most convenient options for classic Sonic, of course this is just one game, but still.

maximo310

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 04:02:25 am »
While the OG Xbox and X360 have some cool exclusive titles ( Otogi 1/2, Ninja Gaiden Black, CAVE's offerings, JSRF & Gunvalkyrie, & Lost Odyssey come to mind), Microsoft has always been horrible at promoting third party titles for their systems. Competing against PS2 in 6th gen was an uphill climb, and its crazy how it still sold 24 mil units, more than the gamecube. I guess the biggest thing is that nowadays most of its library can be emulated on PS2 counterparts, but the exclusives are still worth it.

However you can easily see the shift in marketing strategy to only certain genres and first party games after 2010. After that ( especially apparent with the XB1), they've relied too heavily on Western genres and first party titles ( while hoping to keep multi plat support), and having the weaker console at the beginning of gen 8 didn't help. As a result, game variety now from Microsoft is pretty poor compared to PS4 or even the growing Switch library, and there doesn't seem to be much of a point in buying a XB1X when the only worthwhile exclusives are available on PC.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:04:02 am by maximo310 »

kashell

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 08:27:46 am »
Growing up with two brothers that were also gamers, I had access to an original Xbox. I didn't hate it. Otogi and Voodoo Vince were neat.

I'd just rather play my PlayStation 2. Or, when we were doing the multi-player thing, we just played Melee on the Cube.

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 08:10:04 pm »
Even if I prefer the PS2, I had a great time with my original Xbox with Halo, Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta (you can unlock the original Panzer Dragoon in it), Star Wars KOTOR, Morrowind, Dead Or Alive 3, Ninja Gaiden... I still play some of those games on my Xbox360, some support 480P and still look great.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

soera

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 09:26:10 am »
I didnt "hate" the original Xbox (other than the controller as it was the size of a football but Gamestop/Madcatz fixed that for me with the micro con). Morrowind consumed my life for a little while and D&D heroes was a great Baldur's gate wannabe.

360 however is garbage. I bet over 20% of the systems were contaminated with the RROD and thats being modest probably.

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 04:36:13 pm »

360 however is garbage. I bet over 20% of the systems were contaminated with the RROD and thats being modest probably.

Mine don't get a lot of use, I am aware that 360's original models were the worst. and one thing I do hate about the 360 slim, is how the disk tray just has a mind of it's own, and only stays open for a second. and then closes automatically often not letting you change the game without getting your fingers stuck
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 08:46:56 pm »
I didn't read through the entire thread, so this probably has been said already.

Xbox as a brand is seen as the late comer. Microsoft was once seen as a greedy company bent on world-domination that already held too much market-share in other areas (although Sony was the same story) breaking into the games business trying to make a buck, while seemingly not having anything special to offer. Then, there is the fact of the matter that generally, niche Japanese developers don't market their games on Xbox very often. The majority of OG Xbox games are "American" or European in game style, lots of action-based games.

Also due to a lot of willful ignorance, many naysayers don't adequately research the library and just assume there are no games that are exclusive, when in fact, there are many if you count games that were on Windows, but not PS2 or GameCube. Plenty of games that you've probably not heard of unless you were big into PC games in the early 2000s, and you most likely won't ever, unless they happen to show up on Steam or something. Not to mention several Dreamcast projects ended up coming to OG Xbox.

It's just fanboyism really.

sworddude

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 12:17:35 am »
I didn't read through the entire thread, so this probably has been said already.

Xbox as a brand is seen as the late comer. Microsoft was once seen as a greedy company bent on world-domination that already held too much market-share in other areas (although Sony was the same story) breaking into the games business trying to make a buck, while seemingly not having anything special to offer. Then, there is the fact of the matter that generally, niche Japanese developers don't market their games on Xbox very often. The majority of OG Xbox games are "American" or European in game style, lots of action-based games.

Also due to a lot of willful ignorance, many naysayers don't adequately research the library and just assume there are no games that are exclusive, when in fact, there are many if you count games that were on Windows, but not PS2 or GameCube. Plenty of games that you've probably not heard of unless you were big into PC games in the early 2000s, and you most likely won't ever, unless they happen to show up on Steam or something. Not to mention several Dreamcast projects ended up coming to OG Xbox.

not fanboyism really

The title of this thread is also kinda wrong I would rather say ignore xbox not hate.

As far as ignorance go, many have a big back log as it is for playing them games that they already own, why would some even consider starting to collect for xbox if other consoles are far more superior as it is in both options and quality. Time is also something that can be a rarity to some better use it on the better consoles just saying. Some barely have time to play some games when that's the case it would not be wise to go to xbox unless you have nostalgia for the system or have some nice time to spent.

That's the main reason if you would ask me time.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:20:02 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 09:54:22 am »

not fanboyism really

The title of this thread is also kinda wrong I would rather say ignore xbox not hate.

As far as ignorance go, many have a big back log as it is for playing them games that they already own, why would some even consider starting to collect for xbox if other consoles are far more superior as it is in both options and quality. Time is also something that can be a rarity to some better use it on the better consoles just saying. Some barely have time to play some games when that's the case it would not be wise to go to xbox unless you have nostalgia for the system or have some nice time to spent.

That is the the most generic argument ever
 That could apply to ANY console with that logic, hardly just Xbox. What if I was a Nintendo fanboy with a huge backlog? Should I not play PlayStation because of it? B.S.

sworddude

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 09:57:42 am »

not fanboyism really

That is the the most generic argument ever
 That could apply to ANY console with that logic, hardly just Xbox. What if I was a Nintendo fanboy with a huge backlog? Should I not play PlayStation because of it? B.S.

not really

ps1 and ps2 have plenty of gems in either 2D or 3D. Plenty of games on those systems that nintendo fans would love not to mention of the same series.

Ps1 has gems like 2D castlevania classic and metroid vania, old school megaman (X)  metal slug, rapid reload tons of shoot em ups and 2d fighting games old school rpg's zelda clones just to name some examples.

i mean seriously nintendo snes fans would rather go to ps1 than N64, since ps1 actually has a solid amount of excellent 2d games that could have been on snes or with improved grapics on a 2D powerhouse like the sega saturn

Ps2 same story, Xbox does not have much to offer.

not to mention that if you would go the import road with ps1 ps2 you will get a whole lot more high quality 2d Games that never got released outside of japan, many obsecure 2D arcade compilation, beat em ups, shoot em ups lose releases for singlearcade ports like castlevania for the arcade you name it.

Maybe gameboy classic or color those games aren't that great in general so same rules can apply to those systems unless your really into handheld gaming.

Besides it does not matter what is discussed here I'm pretty sure that pretty much the same amount of people will ignore the og xbox, there are just way better options out there to fill the time in both 2 or 3d gaming wich in my opinion is the reason why xbox is ignored. Fair enough in my opinion It's not to big of deal to not play xbox.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:28:27 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2017, 12:41:50 pm »
I don’t care for fanboyism anymore, and can find something I like in any system and I’ve been noticing a trend of of many gamers only liking Sony and Nintendo’s stuff and I never understood it. Though I’m not a fanboy, the original Xbox is my favorite system of all time because it didn’t require memory cards and because it’s easily moddable and is the most powerful of the 6th generation. Also Jet Set Radio Future. And I’m just stating facts, this isn’t fanboyism, I’m a huge fan of Ratchet and and Clank and Mariokart as well.. also I’m currently playing shenmue for the first time and loving it! So what’s the deal with many, especially retro gamers hating on Xbox? If someone has an actual reason for not liking it, I’d love to hear that, like if you don’t like the controller or something.

Because humans by their very nature desire conflict and are grossly argumentative.   ;)

Most of the time it comes down to both the aforementioned and what system/company they primarily support for a long period of time due to factors such as system price and gaming selection based on their preferences.  I've always wanted to (and have strived to) buy all systems and never had a real hate for a console or its games but more for the company running things.  ie. Sony is a totalitarianism anti-consumer company where as Microsoft is stubborn to the core...same goes with Nintendo even more so (Japanese stubbornness > all).   But having said that owning every system allows you to be open minded and those who refuse to buy the other competitor's products are closed minded individuals that will never change their mind and thus a fanboy is born.  Life's too short to be a fanboy, just buy and enjoy everything.

^^^ This.

I only skipped the 360 generation due to the high failure rates.

PS 2 was pretty good. But playing Original Xbox games on my HD TV with Dolby 5.1 surround made a noticeable difference in multiplats like Simpsons Hit and Run, the Burnout series, Beyond Good and Evil, etc.

Via component cables and optical out both PS2 and Xbox hold up very well for me on modern tvs. With Xbox having a noticeable edge for most of the multiplats.

I think a lot of folks comparing never played them proper.

I wouldn’t miss out on playing Kingdom Hearts on PS2. But I also couldn’t settle for Burnout or Beyond Good and Evil on anything less than an Xbox. (At the time).

Also Microsoft is kicking ass with backward compatibility.

SONY’s marketing machine keeps talking about how they just want to move forward because no one cares about old games. Then half their friggin lineup is remasters.

Meanwhile Xbox One X is blowing me away with 360 titles I missed now running with HDR, better textures, and higher frame rates.

I’m not a get A instead of B guy. When I game I want the best most comprehensive experience possible.

That means I remain open to every console I can afford and am very selective about which platform I get my game for.

Sometimes I get the same game multiple times. For example I got Shovel Knight on WiiU because at first it was the only platform with local co-op so I could play it with my son. Later local co-op was added to other platforms so I got it on the Xbox One so we could experience the *explitive redacted* awesome Battletoads content. It was toadally worth it.

I had a larger PS 4 collection at the start of this console generation but X1X has definitely tipped those scales in just the first month of its launch.

For those lamenting the number of digital vs physical release on X1 the Switch is way worse in that regard and everything digital or physically is massively overpriced for it.

Worse I’m discoving that many “physical” releases (LA Noire, Resident Evil Revelations Collection) don’t include the full game on the card. In fact collections is just the first game with a coupon to download the second. Portability is great. But it’s no better than the WiiU as a console and it’s not the bastion/hold out for physical permanance that some of us hoped it would be. Arguably Nintendo copied the worst parts of this gens playbook. Ditch bc, games install to the console and require buying huge amounts of extra storage, library is mostly digital and honestly throw away titles for the sake of padding, and hey we’re back to cartridges (kinda) so higher prices (even for the digital only versions ... !?).

While I’m disappointed, I don’t hate the Switch. Zelda is worth playing, as is Blaster Master Zero, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, and others. Looking forward to the definitive edition of Shantae in physical. Just hope the whole game is on there...

I still think over the next couple of years people will stop considering the Switch to be a legitimate console and it will cement itself as the 3DS replacement. I’m 100% ok with that.

Enjoy it all for what it is.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:11:33 pm by dashv »