Author Topic: PS1 VS PS2 VS PS3 VS PS4 rank them  (Read 5003 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: PS1 VS PS2 VS PS3 VS PS4 rank them
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 10:03:54 am »
PS4....3.....2.....1....

They've only gotten better.  The PS4 is the only time I've had a PlayStation as my primary system. 

I had a PS3 when it was current because I found one cheap at a yard sale. 

A buddy had a PS2 when it was new.  I didn't hate it.  It just wasn't for me.  I liked my XBox better.

PS1 Blows.  The forced 3D makes this whole generation of gaming suck.  Symphony of the Night is the bright spot here.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:25 am »
1. PS2
2. PS1
3. PS3
4. PS4

The PS2 is hands down the best playstation console in my opinion; it has an amazingly vast library of excellent games and was maybe he only console library that continually surprises me when I think I know about every worth while game in it. In terms of nostalgia this one ranks high as I received the PS2 for XMAS in 2000 when stores could not keep them on shelves and they were being flipped on ebay for double their MSRP. I was shocked my aunt was able to get a hold of one and it was among the best gifts I've ever received.

The PS1 also has an incredible lineup and is probably the best system for JRPGs in terms of quality and quantity. The PS1 also has a lot of sentimental value to me, not because I owned one from the get go, but because it has so many excellent games and franchises from the mid to late 90s on it.

Regarding the PS3, it also is a great system, but at least for me it doesn't hold a candle to its two predecessors in terms of the quality and quantity of its game library. However, in terms of amount of time I've spent playing games on it, the PS3 surprisingly may have the PS2 and PS1 beat, mostly do to games like Oblivion and Skyrim and the crazy amount of time I spent playing both.

I rank the PS4 last not because it isn't an amazing system or doesn't compete with the others, but because I feel like it is too soon to properly rank it anywhere else. I bought my PS4 about 2-years ago and while I have gamed heavily on it, I'd like time to tell where it ranks among the Playstation consoles for me. If my experience so far is any indication, it will likely rank higher than the PS3 someday, but I doubt it will catch up to the PS2.

ferraroso

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 10:13:29 am »
2-1-3-4

hexen

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 11:54:21 am »
PS1 Blows.  The forced 3D makes this whole generation of gaming suck.  Symphony of the Night is the bright spot here.

The single most innovative generation of consoles, filled to the brim with a lion's share of the most legendary games still considered today... I could accept a 12 year old saying that never living outside of the era of near peak graphics, but you're older than me and lived in the age of even older console generations. This is one of the most baffling things related to gaming I've ever heard.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 12:54:53 pm »

I feel like gen 5 was the pioneering days of 3D gameplay and while there are plenty of examples of failed or mediocre attempts at this I feel as a whole most 3D games from this generation are decent. There is also a charm to early 3D, at least on a personal level. The giant polygons, blurred colors, and sometimes even the clunkiness just reminds me of that time period of gaming and really takes me back.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 12:57:06 pm »
  • PS2
  • PS1
  • PS4
  • PS3

Saved me the trouble.

Chalk me up for this list, as well.

I would put PS1 first, because I like it's library better. But I mean, backwards compatibility.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »

The single most innovative generation of consoles, filled to the brim with a lion's share of the most legendary games still considered today... I could accept a 12 year old saying that never living outside of the era of near peak graphics, but you're older than me and lived in the age of even older console generations. This is one of the most baffling things related to gaming I've ever heard.

Yeah. So much innovation and experimentation going on. We got all kinds of games that we would never see come out today because all the developers were still trying to feel out 3D.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 01:07:08 pm »

Yeah. So much innovation and experimentation going on. We got all kinds of games that we would never see come out today because all the developers were still trying to feel out 3D.

I'm not saying a lot didn't come from it.  The growing pains had to be done.  I just don't like early 3D.  That was probably the worst generation in gaming. 

I'm also looking at it from today's viewpoint.  I loved my N64 back in the day.  Those THQ wrestling games are still some of the best wrestling games ever, but Mario 64 is my least favorite Mario game. 

After seeing today's games and 3D done correctly, nearly this whole generation is trash.  PS1 Blows  IMO

desocietas

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 02:44:36 pm »
  • PS2
  • PS1
  • PS4
  • PS3

Saved me the trouble.

Ditto!

As for Turf's comments on 3D, I totally understand. I can't stand the look of FFVII, and it's one of the reasons why I still haven't played it. But I looooove the look of some of the other games that came out on PS1: Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Mana, Saga Frontier 2, Chrono Cross. Really lush visuals.

I couldn't care less about the PS3 when I compared it to the Xbox 360. Loved my PS1 and PS2 and couldn't believe that I preferred the 360 over the third iteration of the PlayStation. Eventually its library got better, but it's still the system I've used the least out of all my Sony consoles.

If I include handhelds, my list would be:
  • PS2
  • PS1
  • PSP
  • PS4
  • PS Vita
  • PS3
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 03:46:28 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:04:20 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 10:24:08 pm »
I may have ranked the PS1 the lowest, but that does not mean that I don't like it's games, I really like PS1 games! :)  I just don't play them on an actual PlayStation 1. I used to own a PS1 in childhood and I loved it. but compared to the other 3 PlayStation consoles. It find it a little obsolete.

the main thing I don't like about the PS1 is the tiny and vary expensive memory cards. each compatible memory card is only 128kb, according to reading on my  PlayStation 2. in which is less then  a smaller floppy disk on a PC held

I have games that take up 3 blocks, with only up to 15 blocks on a card. One feature I love about the PlayStation 3 is the ability to have the PS1 and PS2 memory cards to store it directly to your PS3's hard drive instead of needing to buy a whole lot of memory cards to save with. Of coarse I don't use PS2 built in memory cards quotas ever because my PS3 don't read PS2 game discs.

Handhelds I never owned a Vita or a PSP.

I also forgot I made another topic similar to this one.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 11:29:20 pm »
ps2
ps4 just because it's a very fun system to collect for.
ps1
ps3