Author Topic: The Game Awards 2017  (Read 1341 times)

The Game Awards 2017
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:53:47 am »
Apparently the event is supposed to have a number of reveals, with everyone positive that they'll reveal the Breath of the Wild DLC, so I figured with possibly a few good announcements, it's worth having a post for it.  Can also discuss anything related to the votes if we want too until the show.

Show starts at 8:30pm EST.

As for some of the voting, I think Breath of the Wild wins GOTY.  As I've seen talked about, PUBG has the weird off chance of taking it, with Nintendo fans split between BOTW and Odyssey.  PUBG shouldn't actually be there, it isn't even released, but I feel it's popularity could steal a completely undeserved win, and I actually like the game.  It's just unfinished and buggy as all hell and again, shouldn't be here.  If Final Fantasy XV is on there, PUBG can be there next year.

-------------------------------------------------

-World War Z Game announced.
-Vacation Simulator announced.
-From Software teaser (Maybe Bloodborne, maybe a reboot of an old series they did called Shadow Tower?)
-Breath of the Wild DLC revealed, Out TONIGHT.
-Soul Calibur 6 confirmed for next year.
-Fade to Silence, Post apocalyptic survival game.
-Bayonetta 1 and 2 coming to Switch with Co-op.  February 16th.
-Bayonetta 3 confirmed exclusive for Switch.
-Death Stranding trailer that I still have no idea what is going on.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:31:49 pm by kamikazekeeg »

hexen

Re: The Game Awards 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 03:42:28 am »
These things are always pretty uncomfortable to watch. In the off chance there is some kind of reveal I care about I'll just read it online instead of having to deal with the cringe. My prediction is that they are going to get political for no reason at some point, as is the trend in current year +2. The 'games for impact' category more or less confirms this for me. Award shows tend to be people who love themselves way too much patting themselves on the back. I'd also have more confidence if there was no jury made up of self-interested media outlets... it more or less invalidates people voting if they feel like they don't like the result for whatever reason.

So uh...

Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 04:12:32 am »
I've generally liked the Game Awards and how they've handled it.  It's not anything amazing and I believe last year it ran long, but it's generally better than how a number of companies handle E3 a lot of the time.  Any award show is gonna end up feeling a little "Back Patty", but there's just enough reveals or interesting individuals showing up to get me watching.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:35:25 am »
I really hope they do; I'll look for any excuse to play Breath of the Wild lol. And I'm pretty sure it is going to sweep every publications GotY.

soera

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:31:26 pm »
I am iffy on game award shows. Most of the time, it feels like that certain series get all the credit regardless of whether they deserve it or not. Call of Duty, Star Wars, Fallout, Skyrim, Battlefield, etc ignoring better games released by lesser known pubs/devs. Hell, even half of the categories are based on these specific series.

"And the award for the best Star Wars MMO released in the last 6 months goes to .... Star Wars Battlefront 2" blah blah blah.

With all that being said, I will probably poke around watching it hoping to get some glimpses of some upcoming titles like NNK 2 and God of War.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »
I'm not a fan of award shows in general. Most of the time, they're so...what's the word...predictable(?) so I'll just learn of any surprises the next day.

thewelshman

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:09:34 pm »
I'm not a fan of award shows in general. Most of the time, they're so...what's the word...predictable(?) so I'll just learn of any surprises the next day.

I'm with you on this one. I find all award ceremonies to be boring and a waste of time. Usually a bunch of people awkwardly reading from cue cards or a teleprompter and bombing on jokes. Then the political jabs, and back patting.

azure

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:21:16 pm »
Mostly just in it for these supposed "reveals", so I'll probably tune in.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:24:45 pm »
Already off to an interesting start, as we very clearly got a tease for Bloodborne 2.  Most likely a reveal at PSX for it I think.

New Zelda DLC revealed AND it will release TONIGHT! Woo! Looks like just more background story, a new dungeon, more shrine challenges, new outfits and a sick ass dirtbike! No joke! lol
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:37:25 pm by kamikazekeeg »

azure

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:45 pm »
"Shadows die twice" I hope it's something to do with Shadow Tower or an older IP instead of a BB sequel.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 09:52:30 pm »
"Shadows die twice" I hope it's something to do with Shadow Tower or an older IP instead of a BB sequel.

Could be a possibility.  Hard to tell with the tease, because it hints at a sequel either way.

Also Soul Calibur 6 confirmed.

Fade to Silence looks cool.  Post apocalyptic survival is my jam.  Comes from the Giana Sisters developer, so not exactly an established company, but it's on Steam early access next week, so maybe they can branch out into something interesting.  I like it for the monsters which are some sort of eldritch horrors.

Bayonetta 1 and 2 coming to Switch in Februrary, BAYONETTA 3 CONFIRMED EXCLUSIVE TO SWITCH! I did not expect us to ever get a new Bayonetta. So awesome.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:17:07 pm by kamikazekeeg »

soera

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:17:38 pm »
Post all the updates here. Apparently my computer isnt able to play the live feed for some reason.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »
Post all the updates here. Apparently my computer isnt able to play the live feed for some reason.

Updated the top post with all the major stuff only leaving out a few smaller titles.

Witchfire, from the developers of Painkiller, Bulletstorm, and one other story driven game.  Looks like first person Bloodborne to me, though of course not entirely, just the feeling, but it's an FPS with more older weapons and quick dodges.

GTFO, from former developers of Payday 1 and Payday 2. It's another objective based 4 player co-op game, but scifi with alien parasite enemies.  Aliens was a clear influence on the style I think, though the monsters are like fucked up people zombies.

*EDIT*

This explains the Death Stranding trailer well...

https://twitter.com/kotowari/status/938975974967750656

animator #1, rubbing their temples: and then...the baby does what?

kojima: gives a thumbs up, from inside his stomach. then Norman cries.

animator #2: is that before the gravity goes away or after they are underwater

kojima: after they're underwater r u even listening
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:05:56 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 11:10:58 am »
I don't know if anybody else saw that... but Bayonetta 2 comes with a full download code of Bayonetta 1.  So no physical for Bayonetta 1 on Switch.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:14:16 am by ignition365 »

azure

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »
I don't know if anybody else saw that... but Bayonetta 2 comes with a full download code of Bayonetta 1.  So no physical for Bayonetta 1 on Switch.

I missed a lot of the show because it was snowing down here in Texas.  *mindblown*
I noticed immediately, disappointed.