Author Topic: Collection Slowdowns Or Missfortunes  (Read 1351 times)

Collection Slowdowns Or Missfortunes
« on: December 28, 2017, 05:07:14 pm »
How many have had some misfortune in their video game collection, it can be anything from disc rot to cartridges breaking or if you ever were robbed some of your games or consoles.

Me personally as you read in a lot of my post some of the used PS3 games I've got holes in the Blurays from where the top layer somehow came off this has occurred to a lot of my PlayStation 3 games.  however luckily never been robbed as of today, but I had some of my collection needing to be thrown away. So far my PlayStation 1 & 2 Xbox and Gamecube and Wii games seem to be ok.

I'm having a difficult time with Playstation 3 disc rot in fact I even bought some games with that defect  :'(
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Collection Slowdowns Or Missfortunes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 05:49:40 pm »
Luckily I've never had games stolen or damaged by a natural disaster, busted water pipe, or some other misfortune that I've seen happen to others. I have had a few games however, whether it was disk rot or some other issue that just stopped working, most of them disk based games.

I don't really see it as misfortune, but I had a lot of medical expenses this last year and had to sell a good chunk of my collection. I was certainly not happy about it when it was happening, but with only a few exceptions I do not miss anything that I sold and like the idea of my collection being tighter and of higher quality. And of those games I do miss were nothing irreplaceable and I can certainly purchase them again at some later time.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:09:14 pm »
Only a few minor issues. Once, in 2012 I had to take a break from it as I was having really severe anxiety issues and needed to focus on my own mental health at the time. A couple of years ago, a water pipe burst and kinda damaged a few of my original console boxes, but nothing major. Then this year, I developed a medical problem and I had to spend a small fortune seeing doctors because I don't have health insurance, so I had little cash to spend on games.

The thing about PS3 discs is they seem to be really sensitive to damage on the top layer. A slight scratch might remove the data layer from them. I have a few like that, and I don't yet know if they fully work, or not.

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »
I've mostly cut back on retro collecting, since all the stores around me send 80% of games to shopgoodwill, and markup the remaining titles ( usually sports or shovelware) to $5-6 each. And a large amount of games I want to play are too expensive for my budget, so I will continue to go the emulation route if I can. $0>> $700+pcbs

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 06:24:51 pm »
I've mostly cut back on retro collecting, since all the stores around me send 80% of games to shopgoodwill, and markup the remaining titles ( usually sports or shovelware) to $5-6 each. And a large amount of games I want to play are too expensive for my budget, so I will continue to go the emulation route if I can. $0>> $700+pcbs

word!

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 06:33:35 pm »
Had my NES, SNES, and games given away when I was younger...

Had to sell/give away a bunch due to moving a lot over the years in my 20s...

Finally back to collecting (figured since I've got moving with a few hundred books & a couple hundred DVDs down to an art, adding games to it won't be too much of a challenge since I have always loved the medium) - though I am fairly focused when it comes to the types of titles I will go out of my way to collect, I'm almost always up for a good deal, or willing to give an unwanted game a new home.

I don't ever plan to go for a 'complete' on any system, at least not intentionally - though I do wish I still had my old NES/SNES/Genesis carts (especially considering replacing them now is horribly out of my price range because I had almost every aRPG, jRPG, and sRPG released in NA on there)

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 07:44:06 pm »
Last couple of game nights have resulted in discovering several of my rare game consoles have stopped working. My N64DD, LaserActive, Turbo CD and two Sega CD Model 1's are all in need of repair currently. I've got the parts for most of them but I'm not sure anything can be done to revive the 64DD. :(

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 08:06:36 pm »
Haven't had any broken down consoles as of yet, than again most consoles that I use were cib with plastic baggies barely used so it kinda is an unfair comparison.

If anything does break at some point so be it, don't have any money invested in it anyway so it would be a bit less painfull to me. one can't keep everything in perfect shape if you want to use it. Not to mention that I do have excellent condition spare consoles on standby for personal use of all the main 16 and 8 bit consoles if I needed to replace them at some point.

I'm not to worried about disc based games honestly even the more fragile ones since the copies that I have are in excellent upwards condition, Only had very few issues with other copies wich were in way lesser shape and not for the personal collection/use anyway. I have seen plenty of discs and there pretty durable especially the ones in excellent shape but even lesser shape with light scartches should work perfectly fine the chances of failure are very small to even worry about it unless the condition is not there. Disc rot is not to common in my country not to mention less of chance on the more durable console games. music cd's and dvd's are allot more fragile in that department but still not super common when kept in a normal room.

Also as far as collecting goes excellent condition boxes and manuals are in my opinion way harder to replace than excellent upward condition discs or carts than again thanks to box protectors even cardboard boxes should just stay in excellent shape pretty easily and other plastic cases should just stay fine if you use them normally.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:21:17 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 10:42:18 pm »
I had The Great Divorce of 2015. Lots of shit was taken.
I’m back though. My Virtual Boy, Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, Genesis, PS1, Sega CD, and Saturn collections were the only thing that didn’t survive.

Now that I list it out, I’m pissed all over again.

mark1982

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 11:33:36 pm »
When I was younger I gave away my entire Sega Mega Drive collection (All [JP]) to my cousin, he still has some today but traded or sold most away. He's not really a collector but still plays a lot of games. When I think back I have no idea why I did that. Maybe because he was still on a NES that time and I wanted him to play some new games.

I managed to get all of them back eventually (some US versions now) but man oh man some were hard to track down. But I'm completely satisfied with my Mega Drive / Genesis collection now. Maybe it was for the best... or maybe not since my cousin now is basically addicted to Destiny 2 (a game I loathe by the way...)
  l    l 

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 10:40:53 am »
I stopped paying for a storage locker back in the early 2000s when I was unemployed. It had old computers and video games in there, that were then not worth anything. I do not remember all that was in there, but it did include NES carts, game.com games and a boxed 32X at the least.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 02:01:11 pm »
My biggest loss also came by way of divorce lots of nes,Genesis, snes and turbografx-16 games went bye-bye.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 02:36:26 pm »
I've told this story before:

But my fat cat sat on my controller cord for my TurboGrafx-16 like right where it plugs into the console. This caused enough pressure to make the controller port crack and become unusable. Had to be my rarest console, too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:52:23 am by burningdoom »

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 02:02:44 pm »
My brother was somewhat sticky-fingered back in his teens, and I had several notable titles disappear from my collection during high school. Super Mario RPG, Zelda: A Link to the Past, come immediately to mind. Also lost my copies of Final Fantasy 7, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Spyro the Dragon- but I know at least one of those was a friend's sibling and not my own. Luckily this was before prices shot up, so I was able to replace everything.

Back when I was 13, I'd been planning on getting a Saturn with my Christmas money, becuase I was supposed to get the Christmas Nights demo with my Game Players magazine. The disc got lost/stolen from the mail, and I was so disappointed I didn't buy the system. Which of course, ended up super pricey down the road. I bit the bullet and got one last year though, so I'm 'caught up'... but knowing how much cheaper it could have been still gets me once in awhile.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 01:36:36 pm »
Not a disaster, and certainly a first world problem, but I just bought a 4k TV. So, I will be "revisiting" my current collection in UHD for awhile before I look to expand...

Seriously though, When I moved out from my parents house I lost a box of games. A GB Pocket, and Pokemon Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Super Mario Land, and Kirby's Dreamland all lost in the move, as well as my complete Gen. 1 Pokemon Card collection... I'm thinking either a mover or "family friend" saw them and took them, thinking I was too old for them and wouldn't miss them while I was away at college.