Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2018  (Read 40430 times)

mizzach86

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2018
« Reply #300 on: December 25, 2018, 09:52:02 pm »
These will probably be my last games for this year. I just started Breath of the Wild which I got for Christmas and I'm not finishing that anytime soon.

22.   Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
Here’s another game I’m revisiting via the Ratchet & Clank Collection after years away from the PS2 hey-day. This game is just as fun as I remember and the game is ridiculously funny as well. Great gameplay and replay value as well since you can replay the game with your equipment from the first playthrough.

23.   Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
Played this on 360 years ago and went through it on PS3 last year, but officially completed it by doing the Joker challenge maps I didn’t know existed just recently. I love what this series did for licensed games and demonstrated that they can be awesome and not just a cash grab. I’m glad to see that trend continuing with the likes of Spider Man on PS4. It also helps that I’m a huge Batman fan :)

kypherion

« Reply #301 on: December 25, 2018, 10:04:41 pm »
woah. Where'd the number 52 come from?

man i'll be lucky to get past 10
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

shfan

« Reply #302 on: December 26, 2018, 08:32:54 pm »
52 weeks in a year ;)

kypherion

« Reply #303 on: December 26, 2018, 08:57:52 pm »
52 weeks in a year ;)

oh silly me, thanks for the clarification
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

telly

« Reply #304 on: December 26, 2018, 09:03:29 pm »
52 weeks in a year ;)

I never even realized that's why the thread was called that   :o
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #305 on: December 28, 2018, 09:47:18 am »
I'll probably cap out around 44 or 45.

Just finished Resi 7 for number 44.  A fantastic game.  I was trying to hold off on playing it until I got a PSVR, but I'm glad I didn't, because I probably would have pissed myself more than once.  Easily the scariest RE game ever made.  Just top notch all around.

« Reply #306 on: December 28, 2018, 10:11:38 am »
Considering that between now and the end of the year are going to bonkers for me I am going to call it at 70 games for 2018. I can't remember if this is more than what I had last year, but it's a number I'm very pleased with. As I've mentioned before on here I had the chance to replay most of the very best games I've ever played and reevaluate my favorite games of all time based on my current experience with them.

Next year I may not make 52 games, but then again I'm not necessarily going to try; I have way too much on my plate, especially during the first half the of the year, and aside from playing some short arcade ports here and there I doubt I'll be breaking 10 games beat before June.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:50:47 pm by bikingjahuty »

telly

« Reply #307 on: December 28, 2018, 06:08:26 pm »
Well, I think I'll be closing this year out at 22 games. I thought I was going to add Far Cry 4 to the list but I've been so engrossed with Final Fantasy X that I've been making very little progress in Far Cry  :-X At least it means I'll be able to start off January strong.

As far as FFX goes, I just finished Zanarkand and got the Airship. Will be doing a few side missions like Blitzball, and at some point I'm going to revisit every area again to look for secrets. I'm trying to see if I can get the platinum for this game without using a guide and only relying on my memory of the game (this will be my 3rd time playing it). I still need to find 5 more Al Bhed Primers :(
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #308 on: December 28, 2018, 06:31:54 pm »
Hit roughly 70 myself just in general, but it'll probably be more in the late 50's for games beat/multiplayer games if I take out the games I dropped.  Probably won't beat Iconoclasts or Kingdom Hearts 2 this year, so they'll likely get shoved onto next years list.  My plans for next year likely won't change much, still trying to hit up stuff I got in my backlog as I'm sure I get like a dozen free games a year now through PS+, Twitch Prime, and Humble Bundle.  That along with new games keep my gaming pretty active and I'll keep up with the challenge as it's become very handy for keeping track of everything I've played.

shatterstar69

« Reply #309 on: December 29, 2018, 02:28:49 am »
I'm curious, does everyone come up with a list of games for the challenge or do you just play whatever you want?  I have put a list together for next year because I feel that would be better for me.  It will be my first year doing this and my backlog of games is huge!
Time to make the donuts!

« Reply #310 on: December 29, 2018, 02:35:27 am »
I'm curious, does everyone come up with a list of games for the challenge or do you just play whatever you want?  I have put a list together for next year because I feel that would be better for me.  It will be my first year doing this and my backlog of games is huge!

It's whatever you want to do.  You could do a list of 52 games you want to whittle down, or just play whatever.  I play a lot of new games, so a lot of this is just keeping track of what I've done over the year, but it's also about digging into the backlog to play all of the free stuff or things I picked up real cheap.

« Reply #311 on: December 29, 2018, 10:48:18 am »

I just play whatever I feel like in my collection. I have always collected to play and every game I own I bought because I had some interest in trying it out and playing it. Given, I'll be playing games in my collection for the rest of my life and even then I doubt I'll play them all, but it's fun to pick a random game out and just start playing it.

shfan

« Reply #312 on: December 29, 2018, 01:20:56 pm »

You make your own rules regarding how you want to set up your own challenge, just go for it and enjoy.

« Reply #313 on: December 29, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »
I do a combination of both.  I usually have a few target games (this past year was the main Mega Man series) and then fill in the rest of the time with whatever tickles my fancy.

« Reply #314 on: December 29, 2018, 01:51:03 pm »
Considering that between now and the end of the year are going to bonkers for me I am going to call it at 70 games for 2018. I can't remember if this is more than what I had last year, but it's a number I'm very pleased with. As I've mentioned before on here I had the chance to replay most of the very best games I've ever played and reevaluate my favorite games of all time based on my current experience with them.

Next year I may not make 52 games, but then again I'm not necessarily going to try; I have way too much on my plate, especially during the first half the of the year, and aside from playing some short arcade ports here and there I doubt I'll be breaking 10 games beat before June.

I lied....

71 and 72. X-Men vs Street Fighter (Saturn) and Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (Saturn): I am reviewing both of these at the same time because of how similar they are, however they have some very fundamental differences as well, some only noticeable when playing them back to back. First off, these games could easily be mistaken for being the same game at a superficial glance. In fact I thought they were the same game until I began collecting and realized they are two different releases. As a kid I local roller rink had both games at two different times and I remember thinking Dark Heart was a really cool character, but I was surprised when he was no longer in the roster since the roller rink had replaced the MSHvSF machine with XvSF. All the stages present and some of the music from XvSF is borrowed in MSHvSF, but MSHvSF ups the anti with more stages and more original music rather than remixes of various Street Fighter 2 themes. There is some overlap with the character roster as well, however the majority is swapped out between games, making certain preferences in specific super heroes or Street Fighter characters be a deciding factor as to what game someone would like more. However, in regards to how the characters handle and the gameplay in general, they are very different. What's really cool is you can see the evolution of the Capcom Vs. games between these two games; XvSF plays a lot more like Street Fighter Alpha in that the combat is fast, but no at the speed of Marvel vs Capcom 2 which MSHvSF is more similar too. You can see how more over the top in nearly every way MSHvSF is compared to XvSF, which also applies to the graphics as well. While I enjoy the more traditional gameplay of XvSF, MSHvSF's ridiculousness and speed wins out for me as the better game that is slightly more fun to play. Regardless, these games are excellent and some of the most memorable fighting games to come out of the late 90s. I also have to applaud the Sega Saturn ports of each game, which are arcade perfect in every way as far as I can tell. I played the PS1 version of MSHvSF just as a comparison and the difference is night and day even when overlooking the gameplay omissions of the PS1 port. This truly is the definitive home console version of both these games which I cannot recommend enough! XvSF: (12/29/18) [38/50], MSHvSF: (12/29/18) [40/50]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:52:58 pm by bikingjahuty »