Author Topic: Is Danganronpa 1 & 2 reload for ps4 a good starter to try a Visual Novel  (Read 2379 times)

lordscott

Before any of you asked me sooner or later i might collect visual novels too as well & no no I'm not going on my way to try,play & collect visual novels & if you want to know no i never played any visual novels ever before in my life so i've ordered Danganronpa 1 & 2 reload new for PlayStation 4 on gamestop site as my very first visual novels since i never played any visual novels before but however i don't mind to try a game & see if it's any good & see if i love it or not & yes I'm including visual novels too as well & before you asked i also ordered warriors all star new on gamestop site too as well for PlayStation 4.

I'm saving the rest of the money on my other gamestop gift card to buy FF7: Remake for PlayStation 4 to added to my collection & my other collection of gaming,anime,manga & final fantasy & my final fantasy collection & to play & hopefully they send me the right items/games that I've ordered on gamestop site & so I'm asking ahead of time if the visual novels Danganronpa 1 & 2 reload is a good starter to start a collection of visual novels & to play even though i never have any visual novels before in my collection & i never played any visual novels before.

& like i said no no I'm not going on my way to try,play & collect visual novels anyway I'm asking your thoughts,opinions & your experiences when you either play Danganronpa 1 & 2 reload or play any visual novels including for PlayStation 4 & be honest thanks & if you want to share your suggestions of any visual novels including for PlayStation 4 feel free to do so thanks & if you want to want to know what systems i have so far feel free to either asked me or check my collection i have so far if you want to
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:09:40 pm by lordscott »

hofoblivion

Re: Is Danganronpa 1 & 2 reload for ps4 a good starter to try Visual Novel
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:45:34 pm »
Danganronpa series has its quirkiness and fun, but it can be pretty dark. Personally, I enjoyed the game on Vita and would recommend anyone who is interested in the visual novel genre. If you like Pheonix Wright series, you'll like this one.

pizzasafari

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:03:59 pm »
Danganronpa is absolutely fantastic but it's hard to really call it a visual novel since it has gameplay. But a large amount of the game is told in visual novel format so I guess you could call it a gateway drug to VN's.  ;)

But yeah, definitely pick it up if you're interested. If you want to try a full-on visual novel though I suggest The House in Fata Morgana to people anywhere I possibly can, it's amazing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:06:49 pm by pizzasafari »

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:42 pm »
Danganronpa is absolutely fantastic but it's hard to really call it a visual novel since it has gameplay. But a large amount of the game is told in visual novel format so I guess you could call it a gateway drug to VN's.  ;)

But yeah, definitely pick it up if you're interested. If you want to try a full-on visual novel though I suggest The House in Fata Morgana to people anywhere I possibly can, it's amazing.

I like to refer to them as interactive visual novels. :D

Eeeeeeeh I'm going to say yes and no on recommending this as a starting place.

Danganronpa 1 was both good and not so good. There are some moments of writing, be it an idea presented, a character saying something, or saying nothing, that are really well done. It has a large cast of characters, and there are sure to be a few that you come to like. However, at the same time, there are a few things that really irked me when I played. Chief sin among these was the ending, which I was not very happy about (sorry, it's best to go into these games with literally no idea of what to expect, but it can also be good to manage expectations). It was a game worth your time, but there was definitely room for improvement.

Danganronpa 2, on the other hand, makes me want to give you a solid gold yes. It still has some flaws, but the story is much better, and (unlike DR1) there was hardly a character that I didn't come to like in some way. The visuals were different, but nice. It's my favorite of all the games (though to be fair, there's only 3 + 1, and I've only played through the prologue and chapter 1 of DR3). Again, DR1 isn't terrible, but there are definitely aspects I didn't care for... playing it for DR2, however, makes the whole package more worth it.

As others have mentioned, the humor does get old. They aren't doing theirselves any favors by sticking to memes, 4th wall jokes, and sex humor... it gets kinda old. But DR puts forth some interesting ideas and characters, which is what's really worth sticking around for.

I'd encourage anyone who likes visual novels to pick up DR. The Zero Escape series is good too, but the pacing and inclusion of puzzles make it a very different game, though the story emphasis is very much there. The first game has a pretty fatal gameplay flaw, but maybe they fixed it in the new ports (even if they didn't, the story is still worth putting up with it through the first installment).

TL;DR - Danganronpa should be a pretty solid pick for any visual novel enthusiast, even if it isn't always solid. It's got thoughtful ideas, and will make you think... perhaps a bit more than you thought you would. It can definitely be dark, but it can be really positive, too. I have a ton of screenshots, and I think some of them are pretty darn inspiring. :)

EDIT: Maybe it's a bit more of an adventure game as well, but consider Life is Strange and Telltale games, too! A nice visual alternative that retains the core idea of story from visual novels, with a bit more interactivity.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:39:45 pm by fauxshot »

ITS AN AMAZING GAME, but i don't think it would be called a visual novel as it requires you to do stuff other than read. If you want to get started in visual novels i'd suggest starting with Steins;Gate or Clannad as both are great examples of how good a visual novel can be. :)

pizzasafari

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:16:27 am »
snip

Your avatar is the correct one ;)

Personally I think 1 and 2 are both equally good and it's entirely down to personal preference which you like best. I prefer 2 but I love 1 nearly as much. V3 though...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:18:08 am by pizzasafari »

If you want a game play driven VN I preferred Phoenix Wright myself. Haven't played the sequel to Donganronpa yet, but the first seems middle of the road at best to me. My favorite though would be 999. Ps4 doesn't have very many VNs it would seem. Branching out console wise would help.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:45:04 pm by baileykun »

It was my first entry in the Visual Novel genre and I absolutely loved it.