Author Topic: List acquired DLCs under each games  (Read 954 times)

hofoblivion

List acquired DLCs under each games
« on: January 03, 2018, 06:09:13 pm »
I suggest DB to include a list of DLCs for each game.

Unlike the game DB, the DLC library is lacking vastly. Some games have DLCs listed as separate entities; whereas, most don't. If there's a checkbox for each DLC under games, DB will be tighter and organized.

topspot123

Re: List acquired DLCs under each games
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:23:29 pm »
I think this is a good suggestion, but that would be a massive undertaking.  Some games have hundreds of individual pieces of DLC.  I'm not sure that this would be feasible on a user built DB of this size.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:42:34 am »
It has already been requested to be able to make database entries as child/parent items. This is currently not available and some special consideration would have to be made concerning digital games... such as the fact people can buy digital DLC for physical games. You may not think of it that way, but if say the PS4 acted like VGC, then if you add a physical game, you also would get the digital game added and then the DLC. Currently collectors typically will not add *both* a physical and the digital equivalent to their VGC collection for those types of hardware.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:50:03 am »
I'd love this feature. I tried at one point to add DLC I'd purchased under comments, but ran into character limits.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:18:05 pm »
It has already been requested to be able to make database entries as child/parent items. This is currently not available and some special consideration would have to be made concerning digital games... such as the fact people can buy digital DLC for physical games. You may not think of it that way, but if say the PS4 acted like VGC, then if you add a physical game, you also would get the digital game added and then the DLC. Currently collectors typically will not add *both* a physical and the digital equivalent to their VGC collection for those types of hardware.

You'd have to resolve this by reformatting the site a bit. Right now, there's a standalone listing for every individual item, so when you do a search, you have to wade through all the various permutations. A better approach would be to have a master entry for each game, with sub-entries for each platform, and DLC specified as children attached to each sub-entry that are freely assignable to both digital and physical. So for example:

Master Entry - Alien: Isolation
Sub-Entries:
- PC/Steam
- PS4
- PS4/PSN

DLC Entries:
- Last Survivor (PC) (no format needed unless there are both physical and digital)
- Last Survivor (PS4) (no format needed unless there are both physical and digital)

Painstaking, but it would have the added bonus of cleaning up search results quite a bit. No more hunting and pecking around for whatever platform, and it gets really dodgy if it's something with numerous re-releases. It would also eliminate stuff like Nintendo Network being its own primary platform category.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 11:26:46 am »
Yes I am aware of that method also. Either way it would be a lot of work and I think the main hurdle to such a thing is the database itself. Typically when you design a database, you consider how the data will be used. As such you rarely see any large conversions outside of the corporate world because of the work involved.

Agozer

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:04:58 pm »
I have some question(s) about VGCollect's stance on DLC in general:

It's obvious that not all DLC items should be added to VGCollect, so should the line be drawn at hefty single player expansions only (like Alien Isolation's DLC, Nioh's DLC, Resident Evil 7's DLC, etc.)? Should hefty multiplayer expansion be included as well? Should DLC items have their own category altogether instead of cramming them under PlayStation Network/XBox Live/Nintendo eShop?