Author Topic: Anyone played any visual novel games?  (Read 3172 times)

doctorlaudanum

Re: Anyone played any visual novel games?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 07:02:02 pm »
I'm not really a fan of the genre, but I've made a few exceptions for visual novels with stories or concepts I find interesting. I'd still rather be watching a show or reading a book, though. I personally don't see the appeal in slapping some very shallow interactivity on a bunch of still pictures and then covering them with a novel-length script (weird sex scenes optional). When They Cry and Doki Doki Literature Club are the only ones I think I'll go back to anytime soon.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:37 pm »
Anyone played any visual novel/Dating sim games? What's the consensus among you? They appear to be growing in popularity in the west. just a tiny bit more than previously. It definitely has to be the most obscure genre of video game in the west.

When I thought about it more deeply. The genre; it has to be a branch from the family tree of point and click adventure games originally if it was traced back far enough, that's kind of evolved into its own thing be it very japanese centric now.

I highly recommend YU-NO and Ever 17. But physical copy of Ever 17 is very rare now.

Not sure if the Telltale games fall into a visual novel genre you're talking about But If those count I 100 percent adore the telltale company and the bodies of work they have developed. I have gotten to the point of buying any game they make :D. All 3 seasons of walking dead were visual masterpieces, the character development and how you relate to the characters and grow to love them is amazing and how they toy with every human emotion as you play from fear to sadness, to romance and they do it effortlessly.  The gore, the vision, the story writing.  Homerun after homerun imo :).  Season 1 and 2 are some of the few games to make me cry and clementine is one of my favorite video game characters of all time, borderlands tell tale was an amazing back story that I simply got sunk into from start to finish.   The wolf among us was the best example of your decisions actually deeply affecting the story and can bite you later.  It's really an amazing unique genre and I hope to see much more tell tale games on the engine.  :)

I also played parts of life is strange, batman tell tale and others. Didn't like those as much. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:14:32 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

tripredacus

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 10:29:36 am »
Telltale certainly does, think of it as an evolution to the Visual Novel genre.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 09:43:37 am »
Not really a fan of the genre but lately I've been playing these both Kojima visual novels simply Policenauts and Snatcher. Really interesting games and I'm loving it.

rayne315

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 10:48:53 am »
I just played one for the first time all the way through over the weekend. Doki Doki Literature club and holy crap was it freaky. but the story line caught me and kept me interested.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

astralorange

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 01:46:19 pm »
I have not played a ton of them, but I loved a few on the DS….
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (all of them on DS and 3DS)
Hotel Dusk Room 215 (DS)
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)
Virtue's Last Reward (3DS)

I think 999 was my favorite out of those. Also available in "The Nonary Games" pack for Vita and PS4 I believe.