Author Topic: What video game had the best ending for you?  (Read 3481 times)

thewelshman

Re: What video game had the best ending for you?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:10 am »
Final Fantasy 3 (6) had the best ending for me and was also one of the games that solidified me as a gamer. before that I was always playing something for like 15-20 mins then doing something else.

I agree with you on this one. FF6 was the first RPG I ever completed and still love it to this day. Seeing everyone help one another get out of Kefka's tower was awe inspiring to my 13 year old feelings.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 12:09:58 pm »
I don't know if it was the best ending, but it certainly was an ending that had a huge impact on me. I remember beating Shenmue 2 for the first time back in 2003 or so; getting to that cave at the end and having the game end where it ended left me with so many questions. I remember as the credits began rolling I jumped on my PC and started looking into when Shenmue 3 was coming out. At the time Shenmue still had it's own website and there was a broken link to Shenmue 3 on there, but nothing else. I researched for hours after that only to find that Shenmue 3 was supposed to happen, but nobody knew when. Not having any resolution at the end of the game drive me crazy and for over 10-years I rode at least half a dozen announcements and rumors with credible sources that Shenmue 3 was going to happen, but it never did. With Shenmue 3 finally being made I am really looking forward to finally getting out of that damn cave I've been stuck in for 15-years now.
A cliff hanger ending didn't soar it for you?

I didn't sour it, it just left me wanting a sequel is a bad way. In a way that ending is probably what kept interest in the Shenmue franchise alive and why he are getting a third game at all. It has been very hard to wait all these years though, especially with all the rumors and false starts with Shenmue 3.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 01:51:57 pm »
I don't know if it was the best ending, but it certainly was an ending that had a huge impact on me. I remember beating Shenmue 2 for the first time back in 2003 or so; getting to that cave at the end and having the game end where it ended left me with so many questions. I remember as the credits began rolling I jumped on my PC and started looking into when Shenmue 3 was coming out. At the time Shenmue still had it's own website and there was a broken link to Shenmue 3 on there, but nothing else. I researched for hours after that only to find that Shenmue 3 was supposed to happen, but nobody knew when. Not having any resolution at the end of the game drive me crazy and for over 10-years I rode at least half a dozen announcements and rumors with credible sources that Shenmue 3 was going to happen, but it never did. With Shenmue 3 finally being made I am really looking forward to finally getting out of that damn cave I've been stuck in for 15-years now.

I didn't sour it, it just left me wanting a sequel is a bad way. In a way that ending is probably what kept interest in the Shenmue franchise alive and why he are getting a third game at all. It has been very hard to wait all these years though, especially with all the rumors and false starts with Shenmue 3.

In an interview the original creator wants to create 10 + shenmue games before the story would actually end wich is quite insane considering a few facts.

I personally highly doubt it will happen in his life time since we are only at the third game not to mention the time it costs to make each game if were looking at this third instalment and the age of the creator.

edit swapped the chapters and games around 11 chapters but in 4 - 5 games remembered it quite differently.

That still seems possible.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:04:49 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 02:29:47 pm »

In an interview the original creator wants to create 10 + shenmue games before the story would actually end wich is quite insane considering a few facts.

I personally highly doubt it will happen in his life time since we are only at the third game not to mention the time it costs to make each game if were looking at this third instalment and the age of the creator.

edit swapped the chapters and games around 11 chapters but in 4 - 5 games remembered it quite differently.

That still seems possible.

Yeah it was something like that. I believe the first game just covered chapter 1. Chapter 2 was the boat ride to Hong Kong which was never made, and chapters 3 - 5 were Shenmue 2. Yu Suzuki is on record saying that he thinks that there would need to be a Shenmue 4 to finish the saga completely, but I'm hoping that we get to at least chapter 9 with Shenmue 3. Rumor has it that there will be at least three chapters covered in Shenmue 3 to coincide with each of the main areas that are in the game. I really hope that it is profitable enough to mean a Shenmue 4 or they do in fact wrap it up in the third game; I don't know if I can take another decade and a half of waiting lol.

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 12:54:25 am »
I'm gonna go with Shadow of the Colossus- becuase, like many others, I got really attached to that horse. I struggled a bit with the final colossus, which meant I had to keep replaying the cutscene where he falls into the ravine. It was torturous to watch him die over and over! Imagine my relief/joy when, after beating the game and seeing Wander's fate, I learn he's alive! That was a good moment. (Why yes, I am ignoring the fact that a leg injury on a horse that size will still probably result in his death later. Don't ruin this for me!)

ferraroso

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 06:01:52 am »
I'll easily go with Enduro Racer on the Master System:

“Enduro” is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race. The results are insignificant and what really counts is competing. Of particular importance are the lessons to be learned concerning one’s self from the various encounters you experience along the way. There is no victor or loser in this test of endurance. The only thing that really matters is that you make a commitment to begin the long and trying trek. This game is then dedicated to all of the “life riders” who have started out on the solitary trip to find their own individual limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAku53ZQZOg

dreama1

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 06:24:08 pm »
Bioshock comes to mind for me as well, I also liked the way Silent Hill 2 handled it's multiple endings.

The one that really stood out to me was Mega Man Battle Network 3. It totally blindsided me, and was so good that it made the subsequent BN games lesser in my opinion.
Silent hill 2's endings were indeed incredible. The voice actor was crying reading the script out apparently. Definitely a candidate for one of the best endings for a game.  I wasn't much crazy about it's gameplay though.

dreama1

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 06:25:32 pm »
There's so many I love... the main one that normally comes to mind when thinking of my absolute favourite is Persona 3's ending, it's just amazing. Hits every single heartstring I have.

Persona 4's is amazing too, 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors (might just be me, something about it really strikes my feels), Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4, Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne (maybe just me again), Final Fantasy 9, probably others I'm forgetting. Love.
Persona 3's a long ass game right? It better have a good ending after going through that grind-fest.

dreama1

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 06:28:14 pm »

Yeah saw a massive massive shenmue fan visit the town in real life. The guy really kept the hype alive about shenmue 3. The tragic thing is the guy died before Shenmue 3 was even announced. I felt bad about the whole thing for awhile.

pizzasafari

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 08:44:12 pm »
There's so many I love... the main one that normally comes to mind when thinking of my absolute favourite is Persona 3's ending, it's just amazing. Hits every single heartstring I have.

Persona 4's is amazing too, 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors (might just be me, something about it really strikes my feels), Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4, Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne (maybe just me again), Final Fantasy 9, probably others I'm forgetting. Love.
Persona 3's a long ass game right? It better have a good ending after going through that grind-fest.

It's only a grindfest on normal difficulty+. As much as it may damage one's pride easy mode is the only way to enjoyably play P3.

But yeah man, it's long but every second of it is amazing, and the ending just makes the entire experience perfect.

telly

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 10:18:57 pm »
I just finished P3 this past summer, and it took me 71 hours to beat. It's a long game haha.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 12:13:03 am »
the whole legacy of kane/soul reaver series best story spanning 5 games with awesome plot twists made it the best ending for any game (series) I ever played.
legacy of kane ps1
soulreaver ps1,dreamcast
soulreaver 2 ps2
blood omen 2 ps2,xbox
legacy of kain defiance ps2,xbox
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:25:22 am by wartoy »

henrik85

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 06:20:36 am »
Sonic 2 as a kid, Bioshock 1 as an adult ;)

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:28 am »
Bioshock Infinite, just for the sheer scope. Capped by the Troy Baker/Courtnee Draper “Will the Circle be Unbroken” jam session during the credits. Just total awesomeness all around.

But, the ending that got the biggest emotional response from me was The Last Of Us. Just a whirlwind of emotion, mainly negative towards Joel. But the voice acting and expressions of the characters was amazing, and said a lot without dialogue. For example, when Ellie asks Joel if he’s telling the truth and he says yes, Ellie seemed to know without saying so that Joel was lying, but went along with it anyway because she knew he would never tell her. Her response of “OK” was more to say “OK, so that’s the way it’s going to be.” Very deep for a game ending.

astralorange

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 12:59:22 pm »
If we're talking any game ever, BioShock Infinite. The whole story was mindblowing to me. I loved the game before it ended but the ending really made the whole experience perfect to me.

If we're talking retro games… that's a bit tougher. But I'll never forget the ending to Super Marip RPG. What a fantastic game to send off the SNES with.