Author Topic: Alleged January Nintendo Direct.  (Read 3464 times)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Re: Alleged January Nintendo Direct.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 02:11:22 pm »
A lot of this is caused by how much it takes to develop a game these days and how fast it hits the clearance bin. I was thinking about Square Enix and how they have been developing all of their upcoming  games for half a decade now and still have little to show. So they deluge the marketplace with remasters and ports to bring in some revenue along with some quick mobile games to draw monthly revenue.

Then when Kingdom Hearts 3 releases it will sell for $60 for a month before dropping about $10 every month after release. Not a lot of revenue and sales from what they put in to it. So now they will have to sell a season pack for DLC. It is a bad trend. When I was a kid and average NES  game was about $80-$90 if you calculate inflation.  I realize some of that was cost of the catridge, but we have become stingy as consumers.

Agree with what others have said - the Direct showcased a lot of games I already own and have played. I don't need to really buy them again.

But they "remastered" them in beautiful HD, even though they were all in HD to begin with! You need the remaster. I can't wait for Super Mario Odyssey to be remastered, it was so old-hat and ugly when it came out like a whole month ago! Ancient history, a complete re-mastery is long over-due. It'll probably be announced in the main Direct.

Okay, now that all of that sarcasm is out of my system... This is why modern gaming disinterests me. Rehash, rehash, rehash.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 04:17:18 pm »
Agree with what others have said - the Direct showcased a lot of games I already own and have played. I don't need to really buy them again.

But they "remastered" them in beautiful HD, even though they were all in HD to begin with! You need the remaster. I can't wait for Super Mario Odyssey to be remastered, it was so old-hat and ugly when it came out like a whole month ago! Ancient history, a complete re-mastery is long over-due. It'll probably be announced in the main Direct.

Okay, now that all of that sarcasm is out of my system... This is why modern gaming disinterests me. Rehash, rehash, rehash.

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that this is basically a way to save games from a failed console and introduce them to an entirely new audience.  Yeah, it's not for a lot of us who previously owned a Wii U, but a lot of people also got rid of their Wii U, such as me, and to get some of the good games again on a better system, or even the more complete version (Hyrule Warriors having the 3DS content, but now it's on a console), is great to me.  It's also really good filler between major releases.  Like there's not much I'm looking forward to anytime soon on Switch, but I'll totally pick up Hyrule Warriors again in the meantime when it releases in like March or April.

EDIT: Possible leak from Nintendo Hong Kong puts it around March 22nd for there, but likely the same or close for other regions.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:19:30 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Warmsignal

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 01:37:10 pm »

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that this is basically a way to save games from a failed console and introduce them to an entirely new audience.  Yeah, it's not for a lot of us who previously owned a Wii U, but a lot of people also got rid of their Wii U, such as me, and to get some of the good games again on a better system, or even the more complete version (Hyrule Warriors having the 3DS content, but now it's on a console), is great to me.  It's also really good filler between major releases.  Like there's not much I'm looking forward to anytime soon on Switch, but I'll totally pick up Hyrule Warriors again in the meantime when it releases in like March or April.

EDIT: Possible leak from Nintendo Hong Kong puts it around March 22nd for there, but likely the same or close for other regions.

But why does Dark Souls need a remaster? I'd say the vast majority of anyone who's ever wanted to play that game, has done so already. Seems like they're just throwing any successful last gen game at the Switch and hoping that it'll stick.

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 02:24:36 pm »
But why does Dark Souls need a remaster? I'd say the vast majority of anyone who's ever wanted to play that game, has done so already. Seems like they're just throwing any successful last gen game at the Switch and hoping that it'll stick.

That's a part of third party support as that remaster is coming to PS4 and Xbone as well.  That's a good thing its getting a Switch release at the same time, even if it's just a remaster.  Bringing a souls game to a Nintendo system opens it up to a new audience who may not have played those games yet too.  Plus in the case of Switch, it adds a new aspect to the game, which is that a Souls game is now portable for the first time.  Not gonna say that every port or remaster is worth it, but the Wii U releases make a whole lot of sense, and its a good sign that Switch is getting another multiplatform release at the same time it is coming to other systems.