Author Topic: THQ Nordic acquires Koch Media nearly completing the THQ Circle.  (Read 1300 times)

THQ Nordic acquires Koch Media nearly completing the THQ Circle.
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:44:59 am »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/14/thq-nordic-buys-saints-row-metro-dead-island-owner-koch-media

THQ went bankrupt.
Nordic GmbH and Koch Media bought the majority of assets. (Sega, 2k, and Ubisoft bought what little else didn't go to these companies)
Nordic renamed as THQ Nordic.
THQ Nordic acquires Koch Media.
THQ Nordic AB likely to rename come May with THQ Nordic and Koch Media to remain unchanged.

This means that Volition indirectly has access to the Red Faction IP again.

Also, Dambuster Studios (a company I have tracked through the years) is allegedly working on AAA release of an IP that has sold 10+ million copies with a potential 2019 release.  Likely not a Homefront sequel given the fact that the Homefront franchise has not sold 10+ million copies.

A lot of folks are hoping it's a new Timesplitters game, but Crytek does in fact still own the IP... however, as seen, Crytek is entirely willing to license out the IP.  Also, David Doak, Karl Hilton, and Steve Ellis no longer work for what came from Free Radical Design, I believe only Graeme Norgate is left of the original FRD founders.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:57:04 am by ignition365 »

rayne315

Re: THQ Nordic acquires Koch Media nearly completing the THQ Circle.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:05:54 pm »
Good to know. Wish I would have known about it a week ago because their stock took a 36% increase because of it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

arkaneer

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 05:31:49 am »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/14/thq-nordic-buys-saints-row-metro-dead-island-owner-koch-media

Also, Dambuster Studios (a company I have tracked through the years) is allegedly working on AAA release of an IP that has sold 10+ million copies with a potential 2019 release.  Likely not a Homefront sequel given the fact that the Homefront franchise has not sold 10+ million copies.

A lot of folks are hoping it's a new Timesplitters game, but Crytek does in fact still own the IP... however, as seen, Crytek is entirely willing to license out the IP.  Also, David Doak, Karl Hilton, and Steve Ellis no longer work for what came from Free Radical Design, I believe only Graeme Norgate is left of the original FRD founders.

I just looked up IPs that have sold over 10m+ copies...there's not that many to choose from!

If you put that figure aside, I would love a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:53:23 am »

I just looked up IPs that have sold over 10m+ copies...there's not that many to choose from!

I'd love to have a new STALKER that was built on an actually good engine, but I don't think any of those groups own the STALKER rights.  Pretty sure that's still with GSC Game World.  The Metro games are really the closest we are gonna get to something new with STALKER, especially with the upcoming Exodus that is semi-open world.

arkaneer

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 06:04:23 am »

I'd love to have a new STALKER that was built on an actually good engine, but I don't think any of those groups own the STALKER rights.  Pretty sure that's still with GSC Game World.  The Metro games are really the closest we are gonna get to something new with STALKER, especially with the upcoming Exodus that is semi-open world.

Ah okay...hopefully we get a reboot for STALKER at some point.

I have high hopes for Exodus, but expecting a significant graphical downgrade from that E3 trailer!

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 06:13:54 am »

Ah okay...hopefully we get a reboot for STALKER at some point.

I have high hopes for Exodus, but expecting a significant graphical downgrade from that E3 trailer!

Maybe, but Metro is already a really good looking series, so it's gonna look pretty dang good no matter what.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 05:17:18 pm »
That means Deep Silver is theirs. Koch owns them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:19:48 pm by badATchaos »