Author Topic: Monster Hunter: World  (Read 2980 times)

soera

Re: Monster Hunter: World
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 02:58:39 pm »
You guys are making me jealous playing this. I found time 4-5 days to make a character. I wont have time to actually play for a while though. I dont think I have a day off for the next 2.5 weeks. :(

desocietas

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 04:31:54 pm »
I'm sure we'll still be grinding away when you're able to get into it! There are also a lot of people waiting for the PC version.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 10:28:29 pm »
And just beat the game story wise.  Talked about it a little more in the Challenge 2018 thread, so I won't say anything more here, though I feel confident in saying that Nergigante is still the hardest fight in the game to me.  The ones that follow have their moments and require you to basically max out some gear if you can, but Nergigante still was the most frustrating to me due to his speed and lack of safe spots.

desocietas

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 03:04:12 am »
Gg! I haven't tangled with him yet - I'm enjoying going back and working on the other HR monsters and figuring out other secrets.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 03:43:27 am »
Gg! I haven't tangled with him yet - I'm enjoying going back and working on the other HR monsters and figuring out other secrets.

I'm planning to try and fight some of the endgame monsters again to try and get some of the neat looking armor they give, dabble in some multiplayer, and fool around till the new monsters get added into the game.  I got a full set of Zorah, Dodogama, and Giros and I'd like to get a few more with good resistances.  I mean, there's technically a ton of little stuff left to do in the game, it's designed to always have content of some sort, but I'm probably not gonna be like some hardcore fans that get 300 hours put into the game lol

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 04:30:25 am »
Turns out that Monster Hunter World is Capcom's fastest shipped game in history.  I can't how tell how much that means sold, I understand shipped isn't the same, but it's still likely sold millions in just the two weeks its been out, which is pretty great.  Really cool to see and hopefully after their success with Resident Evil 7 and Monster Hunter World, they realize they need to put more serious work into other games of theirs (Dead Rising, their fighting games). 

I'm curious to see if Capcom is going to actually release MHXX on Switch in the West or not and if people who have both a Switch and PS4/Xbox will go from World to MHXX.  I know that I would likely not do so.  Losing the improvements the series has with World, for a 3DS port, would be a rough time.  I got into World specifically because I knew they were overhauling the game to take advantage of the hardware and to really give the series a more modern feel to it.  Where I saw excitement with Monster Hunter World footage, when I look at Monster Hunter XX on Switch, I just see a 3DS port.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:13:11 am by kamikazekeeg »

arkaneer

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 05:56:17 am »
Turns out that Monster Hunter World is Capcom's fastest shipped game in history.  I can't how tell how much that means sold, I understand shipped isn't the same, but it's still likely sold millions in just the two weeks its been out, which is pretty great.  Really cool to see and hopefully after their success with Resident Evil 7 and Monster Hunter World, they realize they need to put more serious work into other games of theirs (Dead Rising, their fighting games). 

I'm curious to see if Capcom is going to actually release MHXX on Switch in the West or not and if people who have both a Switch and PS4/Xbox will go from World to MHXX.  I know that I would likely not do so.  Losing the improvements the series has with World, for a 3DS port, would be a rough time.  I got into World specifically because I knew they were overhauling the game to take advantage of the hardware and to really give the series a more modern feel to it.  Where I saw excitement with Monster Hunter World footage, when I look at Monster Hunter XX on Switch, I just see a 3DS port.

I feel the same...I believe that in the normal versions of the series there are loading screens to enter each sub-zone of the map. Can't imagine chasing that Rathalos across a dozen loading screens and then back again!

The success of the game is well deserved. I've really enjoyed the 55hrs I've put in so far, especially the multiplayer aspect.

I'm fully geared up to take on Nergigante for the first time tonight...325 defense and a viscious thunder hammer!

Edit - I just tried...he's brutal :(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:15:25 pm by arkaneer »

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 03:30:05 pm »

I feel the same...I believe that in the normal versions of the series there are loading screens to enter each sub-zone of the map. Can't imagine chasing that Rathalos across a dozen loading screens and then back again!

The success of the game is well deserved. I've really enjoyed the 55hrs I've put in so far, especially the multiplayer aspect.

I'm fully geared up to take on Nergigante for the first time tonight...325 defense and a viscious thunder hammer!

That hammer could make him tough.  His speed is so high and you have a lot of wind up with the strikes.  I'm sure there are people who can beat him with the hammer, but I beat him in a battle of attrition, using the insect glaive to whittle him down slowly by bouncing around in the air.  It's slow damage, but man it's never not fun to use that weapon lol

arkaneer

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 04:04:37 pm »

That hammer could make him tough.  His speed is so high and you have a lot of wind up with the strikes.  I'm sure there are people who can beat him with the hammer, but I beat him in a battle of attrition, using the insect glaive to whittle him down slowly by bouncing around in the air.  It's slow damage, but man it's never not fun to use that weapon lol

Got him! Took three tries, but once I got that dive bomb thing down it was okay. The majority of the fight was in a crystalline area with lots of slopes...I love the slide spinning leap on the hammer! The worst bit was in his nest... such a small space and we were both going berserk! I spent a lot of time under his legs spinning to win.

Got three investigations now...feels like I’m nearing the end.

arkaneer

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 07:15:02 am »
* SPOILERS SPOILERS *

Okay Kushala Daora broke me, I had to call in back up  :-[

With his wind aura, I'm not sure how melee can get him down as I couldn't get close enough to hit him half the time!

The guys I pulled in via SOS flare were excellent, they kicked his arse from range. There were a lot of flash pods used, which at least gave me an opening to hammer on his head for a bit!

On to the next elder dragon  :)

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 03:17:16 pm »
* SPOILERS SPOILERS *

With his wind aura, I'm not sure how melee can get him down as I couldn't get close enough to hit him half the time!

The guys I pulled in via SOS flare were excellent, they kicked his arse from range. There were a lot of flash pods used, which at least gave me an opening to hammer on his head for a bit!

Windproof and flash pods.  Windproof annoyingly doesn't work for the severe wind tunnels he forms, but it helps with most everything else.  That fight drove me nuts my first time, but got a lot better once I put together a windproof armor set.

arkaneer

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 03:40:38 am »
* SPOILERS SPOILERS *

Windproof and flash pods.  Windproof annoyingly doesn't work for the severe wind tunnels he forms, but it helps with most everything else.  That fight drove me nuts my first time, but got a lot better once I put together a windproof armor set.

I should have done that, but I was lazy! I went the easy route and fired off an SOS.

Hammer + Tornados + Flying Monster = SOS Flare :)

Luckily I got  Teo, Vaal and Xeno down very quickly after that.

Great game...I've moved on to something else now, but I am thinking about Monster Hunter!

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 03:52:37 am »
I still pop on for an hour or two a night to try and grind out some armor.  Once I get Damascus maxed out, I'm gonna try to finish the assigned mission they give after the final boss fight, but I know I'll need my gear to be as strong as possible for it.  I'm hoping Damascus is worth it for it's high defense max and it's defense boost along with 4 fire resistance with each piece.

Also finally decided to fight Nergigante again with my thunder katana and I feel more confident in fighting him.  Still frustrating, but I wanted to actually do it without cheesing him the whole time with the insect glaive and actually battle.  Funny enough, I recently just found out my katana has a move I didn't know it could do.  After doing the powered up lunge strike, if I hit the R2/Triangle move again, I lift in the air, and then slam down for a delayed, multi-hit, strike.  It's beautiful, and I didn't even know I had it after like 100 hours of play lol I still don't know how to reliably do it, I keep forgetting to get into training to learn it legit, but its so cool.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:56:54 am by kamikazekeeg »

desocietas

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:48 pm »
Got Nergi down over the weekend and starting to track down the next batch of monsters. Excited to see the other monsters with my own eyes and tackling them myself. I'm shocked that I've already put over 110 hours in this game - it's been a while since I've done that with a new game.

I'm still juggling between a lot of weapons. I played a bit with the bow yesterday but am really enjoying the dual blades as well. My insect glaive is still a go-to, and my hunting horn isn't getting the love it used to. I like the HH but always feel like I'm not utilizing it as well as I should.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 09:04:14 pm »
I think after all these hours, I've settled on my permanent weapon, and it's the Long Sword.  I finally learned it's attack buff abilities and it's amazing Helm Splitter attack.  If I use speed sharpening buffs, the quickly used sharpness can be put back on real quick and I got at least two weapons in the white sharpness now.  Tail slicing perfection.