Author Topic: Nintendo Labo Discussion.  (Read 3251 times)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Re: Nintendo Labo Discussion.
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 06:22:08 pm »
I definitely was intrigued to pick up the kits for my kids (ages 6 and 3), but once I saw the price tag I think I might wait it out. My wife might not be down with that much cash towards it. Not saying they are overpriced, but they definitely are not in my price range and it could just be because my kids are so young I could see them easily trashing the projects or the Switch itself as they move it about.

I don't think Nintendo will force Labo style components for all future games. They have not indicated that anywhere and it doesn't make sense for the Switch concept. They are going to engage third parties to come out with their own software for it, but it will not take over all software for the system.

Interesting to see the use of what appears to be Project Giant Robo in the video released. I always wondered what happened to that Wii U tease. I guess one more thing that Nintendo Wii U owners get torn from their hands and put on the Switch.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:08 pm »
I could see them easily trashing the projects or the Switch itself as they move it about.

I was thinking about this even with adults too. The switch's life seems to be in constant jeopardy in these ads they put. Because I question how the Switch's screen will enjoy being slid in and out of cardboard over and over as cardboard has slight preferation to it's edges that can scuff things. Switch already get scuffs just from being docked on plastic to glass basic.  I'm wondering when they'll have us slide it in and out of liquid magma with thumbtacks thrown in lol.   I'm just hoping it has a really big opening to put it in (waits for that's what she said jokes  ;D)  so that it won't be so much friction wear from being rubbed against the cardboard.    Plus the RC car one seems to have the joycons fluttering about.  Guess we'll have to wait and see how all this effects the console.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 01:55:02 pm »
Just watched the video, and I think it looks fun. I have kids and they would love to work with something like this. It is definitely in the 7-10 year age range. It looks like Nintendo is building off the success of the Makey-Makey product. I love that it shows how the cardboard creations integrate with the game. I do see a couple of potential problems. First, I agree that kids will tear that cardboard up quickly, and some lower priced cardboard replacements would be a good idea. Next, I think that the age range will be a little tricky. Children have to be old enough to put the cardboard items together, but young enough so that they won't get bored with the game too quickly. If the assembly process requires too much parent supervision, parents will be less excited about the product. Last, I don't know how much of a money maker this will be. Not only does play to a certain age range, but it is also a specific type of kid that is interested in making these things. I have purchased the Makey-Makey product and some kids got over it right away, and some are still playing with it right now. I think that potential market is really small.

I think that it is great that they made this product. Nintendo usually wins when they gamble on stuff like this, which means we usually win. But I fear this product will live in the same realm as gyromite and virtual boy.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 10:33:53 am »
Lol. Predicting that "every game that releases in the future will be required to be compatible with the Labo", and that "this is the downfall of the Switch" is just as nearsighted as someone saying they're a perfect company, you know.

This is the smartest thing said this this thread. 

It's a toy.  It might be a cool new way to play with this thing. I'm not into it, but that's a 37 year old dude talking. 

I did see that Nintendo is putting all the plans out there on the interwebs for free.  You can get your own cardboard, print out the template, and make replacement parts.  That's one fear put to rest.

desocietas

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:27 am »
Lol. Predicting that "every game that releases in the future will be required to be compatible with the Labo", and that "this is the downfall of the Switch" is just as nearsighted as someone saying they're a perfect company, you know.

This is the smartest thing said this this thread. 

It's a toy.  It might be a cool new way to play with this thing. I'm not into it, but that's a 37 year old dude talking. 

Totally agree. We've got enough negativity in general in this world - I don't think we need to throw any more on top of that giant pile. If it ain't hurtin' anyone, it's not a big deal. And if the response to that is "this takes away focus and money from these other companies that are doing 'better' things," well, then, that's capitalism for ya.

I appreciated that someone else said that it's something different for once. Considering the amount of remasters, sequels, and more of the same ol', same ol' we've been getting, it's refreshing to see something new.

I did see that Nintendo is putting all the plans out there on the interwebs for free.  You can get your own cardboard, print out the template, and make replacement parts.  That's one fear put to rest.

That's awesome to hear. That should open up options for people to customize stuff and let the consumer be more openly creative. Hopefully we'll see some neat things come out of that.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 01:06:47 pm »
This was what I was hoping to hear from Nintendo: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-labo-will-let-you-program-your-own-custom-robo-1822632217

I thought it would've been a huge lost opportunity if Nintendo didn't allow the user to do simple programming. Lego pulled it off with Mindstorms, so I think it's good for Nintendo to give this a shot.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 12:19:44 pm »
I am so clearly not the target audience for Nintendo anymore.

spac316

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:26 pm »
I think it'll be fun for the kids. For me, I'll pass. I am not gonna hate on it though.

rayne315

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 06:25:37 pm »
3 new trailers are out for anyone who wants more info on it. I cant link the actual videos but I can link the article I found them in. https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-labo-three-new-trailers/
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully