Author Topic: Modern Games that are like this other game I used to play.  (Read 1561 times)

Modern Games that are like this other game I used to play.
« on: February 27, 2018, 02:07:03 pm »
Every once and while I get hit with the itch to play an old game that I used to love, but sometimes what I really want the feeling of that old game but with a pretty new face lift. A while back I asked about Modern games that would feel like SSX. Now I've had the hankering to play some Gran Turismo 2/3. Figured I's start a thread to get some recommendations as well as open it up for other people to ask for modern game recommendations as well.

So! What game is going to give me the feel of my old GT 2 and 3, Does the newest GT hold up? are there better options out there for me?

AND what are some games that you miss playing but would love to find a modern replacement for?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Modern Games that are like this other game I used to play.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:31:00 pm »
Retro City Rampage is what you're looking for. Not sure what platforms it's all on, but I've got it as a digital download on my 3DS.

Plays just like GTA 1 and 2 with a lot of retro humor thrown in.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 04:03:15 pm »
Retro City Rampage is what you're looking for. Not sure what platforms it's all on, but I've got it as a digital download on my 3DS.

Plays just like GTA 1 and 2 with a lot of retro humor thrown in.

I think they meant Gran Turismo...?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 04:30:00 pm »
Oops, My bad. My brain saw GTA.

thewelshman

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:54:24 pm »
I'd be happy with a game that gave me the feelings I had whenever I played games like Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger as a kid. Of course, that's like asking for a MMORPG that gives me the same feeling as EverQuest did. It was my first ever MMORPG, I'll never be a newb like that again.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:21:29 pm »
Every once and while I get hit with the itch to play an old game that I used to love, but sometimes what I really want the feeling of that old game but with a pretty new face lift. A while back I asked about Modern games that would feel like SSX. Now I've had the hankering to play some Gran Turismo 2/3. Figured I's start a thread to get some recommendations as well as open it up for other people to ask for modern game recommendations as well.

So! What game is going to give me the feel of my old GT 2 and 3, Does the newest GT hold up? are there better options out there for me?

AND what are some games that you miss playing but would love to find a modern replacement for?

This is only my opinion and I hope it doesn't come off as harsh but not only does the new GT not hold up to 2 or 3,  It's a soulless money grab that should be avoided by anyone who truly loves video games as a whole.  It's a pay to play, beta for 60 dollars scam and i'm surprised so many stood for it.  And GT hasn't been king in 10+ years for that very reason of how it blindly robs it's consumer.  It odds are will never return to it's glory due to greed. And the shady business practices GT as a franchise has partaked in with selling their consumer "prologues" and "demos" as full blown releases for 60 USD.  It takes a level of audacity i'd say.  And it's sad to see it happen.  I miss the golden days of GT :(

GT 4 was a masterpiece imo, so were 1 and 2 during the PS1 gen and how they almost defined the genre.  They pushed the consoles to their boundaries.  I remember when Kanzanori Yamauchi's blessing was a thing to be revered.  The 4-6 year wait for like a blink because of how diverse and unique each entry was.  They utilized the console specs to make something that completely floored the world every time.  It was magical and you could feel that they cared. :)

5 was pretty good, but it wasn't the same feel as the PS2 ones imo,  it lacked the additions forza made like realistic damage, and all the cares feel like they have understeer a tad too much.    6 was like 5 but with less soul and a worst UI imo.  But than Sport is an insult to the consumer.  With less cars than most need for speeds, only a handful of tracks, and forced online play.  It's sad to see what GT has become.  But devs pretty much admit to selling their customers prologues and demos for 60 dollars and use words like "sport" to trick them into picking up their wallets because a word like Beta would be less appealing to spend 60 bucks on.  It's shady.

To answer your question though.    Forza is revered as one of the best racing sims of all time and is consistently amazing imo. :).    But if you don't have Xbox i'd say Project Cars is a great sim as well.  Astetto Corsa is supposed to be good but ive never tried it.   The Forza Horizon series is amazing open world fun and the core series is like what GT should have been.   Huge detailed track lists, car lists, and awesome customization.   Cameos from professional drivers that act as narrators make it feel professional and legit.  And they never sell half way games.  I can't recall a Forza game that I wasn't happy to play for 100+ hours.  And that's saying a lot of a franchise that's 3 gens old.  :D

Hope this helps :)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:35:12 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:50:10 pm »
Forza is revered as one of the best racing sims of all time and is consistently amazing imo. :)

So I do have an Xbone, I see there are a few different Forzas for the system Horizon and Motorsport and different versions of each. If I'm only going to buy one and i want to get the closest experience to the old gran turismo, (specifically the sim part, buying new parts making your car faster, unlocking new stuff) which do i go with.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:36:59 pm »
Forza is revered as one of the best racing sims of all time and is consistently amazing imo. :)

So I do have an Xbone, I see there are a few different Forzas for the system Horizon and Motorsport and different versions of each. If I'm only going to buy one and i want to get the closest experience to the old gran turismo, (specifically the sim part, buying new parts making your car faster, unlocking new stuff) which do i go with.

For sim racers like the old GT games those would be the Forza Motorsport series.  7 is the most recent one.  They make a new one every 2-3 years or so.   7 is really amazing with it's UHD 4K visuals, it looks great even on a 1080 set.  60 fps and some stunning tracks.   The motorsport series features the engine, transmission, tire, suspension, breaking upgrades just like gran turismo used to.  All the same weight reductions and special spoilers and such.  Also a lot of visual customziation options with vinyls, decals and paint schemes.  Some nice ones get submitted by the community too. :).   It's very creative.   Forza 7 also implimented some new levels of realism too, like adaptive AI, some new nuances in the cock pit view, and the rain is way more realistic.   I think you'll really enjoy it if you love cars and sims.    Forza also has some cool in race goals you can complete for extra credits and you level up unlike the old GT games which unlocks cool racing suits and other cosmetic things.

Horizon is Forza's open world experience. It's kinda like Need for speed but with a sim level of realism.  It plays like a sim but is an open world festival racing kind of vibe and less pit crew, professional vibe.  You race for wristbands and can race for pink slips and such.  Horizon 3 is also a great game :D.   But for sims the motorsport series is the one.   6 and 7 are both great games.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:45:13 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 10:49:45 pm »
I think you'll really enjoy it if you love cars and sims.

You know, the funny thing is I normally don't give a damn about cars, never been a car guy, cant even change my own oil.... but for some reason I just got sucked into Gran Turismo 2 and 3. I spent SO many damn hours playing those games. I was also obsessed with Fast and the Furious lol. It sounds like both might be up my alley but I'll start with Motorsport 7 since I think that might be the closest experience.

Thanks for all the help!!

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 11:18:53 pm »
I think you'll really enjoy it if you love cars and sims.

You know, the funny thing is I normally don't give a damn about cars, never been a car guy, cant even change my own oil.... but for some reason I just got sucked into Gran Turismo 2 and 3. I spent SO many damn hours playing those games. I was also obsessed with Fast and the Furious lol. It sounds like both might be up my alley but I'll start with Motorsport 7 since I think that might be the closest experience.

Thanks for all the help!!

I'm glad I could be of help :).   

I also wanted to add since you mentioned liking fast and furious that the Horizon series of Forza games as a whole have a very fast and furious vibe to it with it's festival style night time open world racing on back roads with performance cars. So much so that Horizon 2 has a Fast and Furious expansion with the cars from the movie and a side story. :D.

Compared to Forza Motorsport or GT, Horizon is less sim style,  the cars drift easier, are a little looser and it's certainly more arcade feel.  More emphasis on drifting and style kinda like Fast and Furious street racing.  But compared to say a burnout or a need for speed it's way more refined and realistic still.  It has about the same customizing as motorsport and GT as well with very intricate adjusting of almost every nauance of a car.    It may be the best of both worlds :).

But I think for the closest experience to GT, Forza Motorsport 7 would be the best bet.  But both are fun racing games imo.   

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:22:38 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 11:32:30 pm »
Oh man, this could be very bad for me lol. Gran Turismo 3 came out the summer I graduated from highschool, I spent the entire summer playing that game.... SO MUCH time. and then that fall, I went to college.. and spent all my free time playing that game.. even skipped classes to play. By the end of my first semester i was on academic probation but I had a gold in all the licenses, so that was awesome.

argyle

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 03:46:02 am »
Hrm, well along the old vs new line I've been wondering about how a new series stacks up. Can anyone tell me if Dungeons 2/3 (on the PS4 specifically) will scratch that Dungeon Keeper itch, or is it a poor imitation? I was a huge Bullfrog fan on the PC back in the day, and sadly once they split up the individual members never could do anything that stood up to what they did collectively. Dungeon Keeper 2 was possibly my all-time favorite game of theirs and I'd love to play a modern day game that at least came close to it.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis