Author Topic: movie videogames naming style  (Read 594 times)

movie videogames naming style
« on: March 20, 2018, 03:22:18 am »
should video game movies have the company's name included in the actual title?
im asking because i recently purchase rise of the guardians for WU on my quest to obtain every physical NTSC game for it
and i found out this version is the only one that has dreamworks in the title. so i came up with this question.
not many videogames are adressed with the company name. like you dont see "dreamworks shrek" or "pixar/disney the incredibles" and others. aladdin on snes and genesis dont say disney's aladdin either.
on even older games, you dont see " orion's robocop" or "amblin's hook".

i suggest keeping the company name out, except on specific games to differentiate from similar sounding games (like disney planes vs any other game titled planes before the movie and game came out).

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:25:33 am by project4 »

tripredacus

Re: movie videogames naming style
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:57:28 am »
Item title is full front title, this is why the site has entries like that. If we use a simple rule as this, we don't have to worry about exceptions.

So for the example you put:

name: DreamWorks Rise of the Guardians
fan-name: Rise of the Guardians

The reason why that is the fan name "because no one calls it DreamWorks Rise of the Guardians" and we can apply this logic to Disney/Pixar/whatever games (as you see in the ref threads) meaning these popular ways of referencing games are fan names and not official.

We know obviously that they have DreamWorks there as an advertisement for the studio, because there may exist people who see or buy that game and not know it is from a movie... BUT it doesn't change the fact that when they designed that packaging, they put the company name into the logo.

In the case of the example above, "Rise of the Guardians" would not need to be put into alt-name field because it is already in the title.

Reference:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4715.0.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:00:52 am by tripredacus »