Author Topic: What's Your Favorite 80s Horror Movie?  (Read 4265 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What's Your Favorite 80s Horror Movie?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 11:48:48 am »
I'm surprised that there's so many similar answers. I thought I'd get a spread answers, since the 80s was like a buffet of horror.

pizzasafari

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 08:50:49 pm »
I'm surprised that there's so many similar answers. I thought I'd get a spread answers, since the 80s was like a buffet of horror.

I'm from the 90's so my knowledge of 80's films in general is pretty bland.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:36 am »

I think it stems from the fact that while there was a ton of fun horror in the 80s the number of truly great ones is much lower, and those tend to be the ones that are people's favorites.  I could name 80s horror films that I like all day long, but favorites is much more of a short list, and for favorites people tend to have titles they jump right to - I know when I saw the topic my mind just went "Evil Dead II, no question.".

I will throw this out there though, Halloween III: Season of the Witch is my favorite film in the franchise, even over the original, solely because of how bugnuts crazy it is.

And here are a few other ones that I really like
The Blob
The Lost Boys
Near Dark
Waxwork
Prince of Darkness
Motel Hell
Phantasm II

But the only one of those that would really come close to "favorite" would be The Blob... though high school me would have fought you over The Lost Boys
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:11:39 am by Cartagia »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 11:40:00 am »

I think it stems from the fact that while there was a ton of fun horror in the 80s the number of truly great ones is much lower, and those tend to be the ones that are people's favorites.  I could name 80s horror films that I like all day long, but favorites is much more of a short list, and for favorites people tend to have titles they jump right to - I know when I saw the topic my mind just went "Evil Dead II, no question.".

I will throw this out there though, Halloween III: Season of the Witch is my favorite film in the franchise, even over the original, solely because of how bugnuts crazy it is.

The Blob
The Lost Boys
Near Dark
Waxwork
Prince of Darkness
Motel Hell
Phantasm II

But the only one of those that would really come close to "favorite" would be The Blob... though high school me would have fought you over The Lost Boys

No way, totally disagree. The 80s was like the golden age of horror. SOOOO many "truly great" ones:

-Alien
-An American Werewolf in London
-Child's Play
-Day of the Dead
-The Evil Dead
-The Fly
-Friday the 13th
-Fright Night
-Ghostbusters
-Gremlins
-A Nightmare on Elm Street
-The Lost Boys
-The Monster Squad
-Pet Sematary
-Poltergeist
-Return of the Living Dead
-The Shining
-The Thing

Certainly the 90s and 2000s haven't held up those kind of standards.

shfan

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 06:20:51 pm »

Yesssss!  One of my favorites, a magical film.  A true gothic fairytale. 

Jeeeze, WAY too hard to try and narrow it down to just one.  The 80s; a grand decade for the genre!

Love the image, very nice, totally agree, Dolls has a similar feel to The Goonies, love it.

The Blob
The Lost Boys
Near Dark
Waxwork
Prince of Darkness
Motel Hell
Phantasm II

Ye gods, Lost Boys was epic "You're a vampire Michael, a god-damned shit-sucking vampire, oh just you wait till Mom finds out..". My sister was totally captivated by Kiefer Sutherland in that movie, he certainly was a handsome devil. Never heard of Motel Hell, need to look that one up :)

Burning Doom - Pet Semetary is another all-time favourite of mine, love that one too. Damn, i really want to start ordering some of these on DVD or blu-ray now, used to love watching horrors when I was in my teens and twenties, have some catching up to do.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 10:31:24 pm »

No way, totally disagree. The 80s was like the golden age of horror. SOOOO many "truly great" ones:

-Alien
-An American Werewolf in London
-Child's Play
-Day of the Dead
-The Evil Dead
-The Fly
-Friday the 13th
-Fright Night
-Ghostbusters
-Gremlins
-A Nightmare on Elm Street
-The Lost Boys
-The Monster Squad
-Pet Sematary
-Poltergeist
-Return of the Living Dead
-The Shining
-The Thing

Certainly the 90s and 2000s haven't held up those kind of standards.
I do like all of those movies, and would definitely call Ghostbusters (not horror) and Alien (not 80s) great.  Granted I did study production in college, so I tend to have a pretty hard line between “movies I like” and “movies that are good”.

I do def agree about the 90s and 2000s though.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 09:12:46 am »
One obscure series I got into for some reason: Puppet Master.

It’s the only horror series that I liked enough to buy the collectible toys and the soundtrack. Richard Band’s music may be simple B-movie synthesizer stuff, but I love it and it fits the movies perfectly. I used to display my 16-inch Blade figure in my bedroom, but after I got married my wife found it too creepy :D

Among others, the ones that made the biggest impression on me were The Thing, The Fly, Child’s Play, and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Also sci-fi slashers like Predator, The Terminator, Critters, and Aliens.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:16:07 am by undertakerprime »

aliensstudios

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 10:54:34 pm »

It’s the only horror series that I liked enough to buy the collectible toys and the soundtrack. Richard Band’s music may be simple B-movie synthesizer stuff, but I love it and it fits the movies perfectly. I used to display my 16-inch Blade figure in my bedroom, but after I got married my wife found it too creepy :D

Among others, the ones that made the biggest impression on me were The Thing, The Fly, Child’s Play, and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Also sci-fi slashers like Predator, The Terminator, Critters, and Aliens.
I freaking love Puppet Master. I don't really know how I got into it, I think they had Puppet Masters vs. Demonic Toys on the Sci-Fi Channel back in the mid 2000s and for some reason I started watching the older movies. Sure they're cheesy, but the premise is unique and a lot of fun.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 07:51:24 am »

I freaking love Puppet Master. I don't really know how I got into it, I think they had Puppet Masters vs. Demonic Toys on the Sci-Fi Channel back in the mid 2000s and for some reason I started watching the older movies. Sure they're cheesy, but the premise is unique and a lot of fun.

That actually sounds similar to how I got into the series. They showed PM2 & 3 all the time on movie channels like HBO when I was a teen in the early 90’s, and I would watch them often.
PM3 is by far the best one, with the revenge plot against the Nazis and the clearer backstory to how the puppets came about. PM2 was the one I saw the most, but it wasn’t until later I learned it’s kind of the “odd-one-out” for the series, with its out-of-character depiction of Toulon (in my headcanon he’s gone mad from being resurrected)  :))

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:23 pm »
Nekromantik (1987)

I grew up in the 80's....golden age of horror for sure. I particularly like John Carpenters eary stuff, like The Thing and Christine....apeaking of...anything Stephen King was gold at that time as well.

kypherion

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 12:18:21 pm »
The evil dead
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"