Author Topic: Rare Wii & Wii U Games?  (Read 12034 times)

sworddude

Re: Rare Wii & Wii U Games?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 07:14:28 pm »
Is Mirage Sessions actually that rare?  There are a couple of copies at a local outlet for like $15.

if it ever was rare in the USA the price drop is most likely thanks to the switch port wich aside from better grapics has extra content. in other words a superior version of the game wich as a bonus is a portable game aswell.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 07:22:24 pm »
Is Mirage Sessions actually that rare?  There are a couple of copies at a local outlet for like $15.

if it ever was rare in the USA the price drop is most likely thanks to the switch port wich aside from better grapics has extra content. in other words a superior version of the game wich as a bonus is a portable game aswell.

It’s not the port.  It’s been at the outlet since before that was announced.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:22 am »
I guess Axiom Verge for the Wii U would be considered hard to get, since the only way to get it was from Limited Run a while back.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 12:33:51 pm »
Hey just a question: I have Project Zero: Maiden lf Blackwater LE. Is it considered rare, I can't find anybody mentioning it in their list. Besides that: Jett Tailfin for the WiiU as well?

Wii U is in a funny spot for determining rarity- it's firmly in the 'dark era' of its life, where it's not new enough for people to think of it as relevant & not old enough for people to think of it as retro. Plus, it was a flop, so people aren't particularly attached to it. This means that, unless it's a release we have hard numbers for, we can't really tell if it's 'rare' by price or sale location. ALL Wii U games are on blowout clearance to make room for that Switch hotness!

It's all speculation, but I'd guess the Maiden of Blackwater LE will become rare. Mirage Sessions less so. This is becuase of availability- Mirage Sessions got a Switch release, and MoB hasn't yet. I'd say any Wii U collectors out there should be focused on the tiny pile of remaining system exclusives, while keeping in mind any of them could get a port & ultimately be obsolete. Anything that isn't exclusive, but makes good use of the gamepad should also be a priority. These are games that will 'feel' different on the Wii U & possibly have that version considered superior. The Vita/PS4 versions of Tearaway are a good example- both are fantastic games, but it was so tailor-made for the Vita's unique inputs that its version is definitely more engrossing to play.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 02:23:28 pm »
I don't know much about Wii rare games.   But Wii U.  Generally you got the list down point.   I don't think i'd consider many of them rare as they are expensive. But with the amount of people chasing full sets, shovelware has become rare and I think the market will dwindle fast.  Which is the most frustrating part about going for full sets.  :)

When I was chasing a full wii U set.  It felt so horrible spending 40-60 bucks on games like "Barbie Dreamhouse Party" and "Hello Kitty Kruisers".   But it had to be done lol. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:28:48 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 01:25:35 am »
It’s hard to determine rarity for a system that not many people seek out games for. Perhaps there is a low supply of prints for the list in the OP, but availability for many of them is still quite high. Once a low print game becomes sought after people see it as rare. By that standard, I’d say that most obscure Wii games are rare. Just not in demand yet. Most of the ones I see in the OP list are ones I come across on semi-frequent occasion.

There’s a number of really low quality shovel ware games that hardcores have deemed ultra rare, like those awful Maximum Family Games titles, and I think couple of the Zoo ones.

With Wii U I’d say take note of every Wii U section you see in a GS store. The library is so small there should be a reasonable expectation to see about everything. If there’s some that just aren’t turning up, that’s probably a sign of a lower print. I don’t pay much attention anymore because I pretty much finished up my Wii U collecting several years back.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 05:36:05 am »
It’s hard to determine rarity for a system that not many people seek out games for. Perhaps there is a low supply of prints for the list in the OP, but availability for many of them is still quite high. Once a low print game becomes sought after people see it as rare. By that standard, I’d say that most obscure Wii games are rare. Just not in demand yet. Most of the ones I see in the OP list are ones I come across on semi-frequent occasion.

There’s a number of really low quality shovel ware games that hardcores have deemed ultra rare, like those awful Maximum Family Games titles, and I think couple of the Zoo ones.

With Wii U I’d say take note of every Wii U section you see in a GS store. The library is so small there should be a reasonable expectation to see about everything. If there’s some that just aren’t turning up, that’s probably a sign of a lower print. I don’t pay much attention anymore because I pretty much finished up my Wii U collecting several years back.

the rare games already sell for a decent amount.

hello kitty racers mario & sonic olympics at rio to name some examples.

if the prices arent there they probably have plenty of copies to go around.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 01:47:43 pm »

It’s not the port.  It’s been at the outlet since before that was announced.

I went ahead and got it.  $15 is a good deal even if it’s not that uncommon.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:50:49 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 04:27:30 am »
Several hard to find Wii titles

Data East Collection
Shiren
Ivy the Kiwi
Opoona

And the Wii U

Hello Kitty Kart Racer
Devil's Third

pzeke

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 09:13:49 am »
It's funny how out of the 10 or so games I'm interested to get for the Wii U, the second game I'm the most interested to get happens to be the most expensive. I know Devil's Third got pricey quite fast, but I wish I had taken advantage of that brief window where it was still affordable. Although, now that I think about it, the Walmart I frequent the most in my area never had it in stock...or at least it was never during my many visits at the time.

I still plant to get it once I get myself a Wii U, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to go Gotcha Force on it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 05:51:25 pm »
I remember when Devil's Third came out, it seemed like everywhere was "out of stock" within the first week. eBay was already flooded with brand new copies asking about $120. It seemed like all anyone who bought the game did was try to flip it, despite that it did not score well with the critics at all. I picked up a brand new copy around 2018 or so for about $50. Didn't realize that it had gone back up again, and to quite ridiculous prices. It's game collecting in 2020 - reasonable today, insane tomorrow.