Author Topic: Collection List  (Read 1443 times)

Collection List
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:57:28 am »
Do you guys consider digital games as part of your collection? If this doesnt go here please let me know where to put it.

tripredacus

Re: Collection List
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:12:28 pm »
I personally don't.

We have many categories already with digital games, such as various PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, Nintendo Network, Steam, Gog.com and PC Digital. You can find them if you click on the Browse section at the top of any database page.

If you add a game to PC Digital, put into the description where the game was available from.

Agozer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:53:03 pm »
I do. This helps me track of what I own.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:16:36 pm »
I do. I like to have complete collections but I also try not to spend too much money so sometimes digital is my best bet.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:35:24 am »
I don't since I don't technically own the game.

hexen

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:49:18 am »
I most certainly do not, and the trend of digital only games is greatly annoying.

I love games such as Cuphead and Divinity Original Sin 2, and I will never 'own' them and despite their excellence I HATE the feeling of spending money on a digital product. Every-time something like that happens it's in the back of my mind I could just pirate it and that would likely be MORE ownership than buying it (not linked to any service)... I don't because I want to support the mostly always smaller studios that put them put. Another example is Sonic Mania I kinda wanted to play, but not an overly high amount... I didn't wanna buy a digital copy but I also coulden't pirate because talented self-made fans created the game. I was likely never going to play it because of this until the physical version got announced (thank goodness).

I think listing digital games in a collection is no more ridiculous than listing pirated games, but that's just me. One day digital services may close down, or a console's memory may be erased after being outdated by newer hardware or even a company just yanking your digital rights for whatever reason and all your 'ownership' is gone.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

astralorange

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 11:46:48 am »
As others have stated, no I definitely don't see a digital game as part of my collection. Part of collecting is seeking out physical copies, despite fluctuating prices and rarity. Downloading a digital game is as easy as plugging in your credit card info and waiting for a download. There is no satisfaction in that, personally. Plus like others have stated, you don't technically own the game. I can play my cartridge based games whenever I want - updates, no downloads, I never have to worry about companies pulling the plug on a service rendering the games useless. The worst I'd have to worry about is replacing a save battery, whcih is not a big deal. I think when gaming goes completely digital is when I stop gaming, or at least stop buying new games. I'll never stop playing the older stuff.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 01:07:59 am »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesnt like adding digital games to my collection.

armani

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:59:28 pm »
That would add up to way too much, so I personally don't consider it.

mark1982

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 04:16:02 am »
As others have stated as well, I don't consider them part of my collection but more on a sub digital collection.

I always go for the physical copy when available, even if I have to wait for it. Perfect example is Owl Boy for the Switch. Digitally it's been available for some time now, but I'm waiting it out for the announced physical copy. Or I will just re-buy the physical version again. I did this with the new Wonder Boy, got it digitally on PS4, then the physical Switch version was announced and I bought that. If I don't buy a copy, it will just irk me knowing I can own a copy in my collection than rather have it disappear one day in the digital ocean...

But some games are just too good to ignore, Like HellBlade: Senua's Sacrifice. I'm still waiting for a physical copy since they already announced the game was a success. You have smaller less successful indie titles being released as physical copies but Ninja Theory just don't want to release this game as if digital is the only solution for mid budget games... which I don't believe is true since I have heard numerous people wanting to buy and own this game.

Probably one day I will just cave and buy it digitally on a sale and if a physical version is ever released I will just re-buy it. Game looks great:

l    l