Author Topic: Your Opinion Of Super Nintendo Game And Console Prices Today  (Read 3409 times)

sworddude

Re: Your Opinion Of Super Nintendo Game And Console Prices Today
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 03:11:56 pm »
What?

The title of the thread is about Super Nintendo prices "Today". "Your Opinion Of Super Nintendo Game And Console Prices Today"

That means, as opposed to the past...that's not hard to understand at all. Everyone else seemed to understand just fine and responded as such. No logic needed. Just simple reading comprehension.

With a thumbs down not to mention many complaining about the high prices wich is kinda expected ::)

Still though I don't see where you have gotten the idea that some would think prices of lose carts were the same like back than when prices were very cheap. I'm pretty sure little samson wich was already rare back than went for a couple of tenners wich was a huge amount for a single game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:14:38 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 03:14:32 pm »
Because YOU said they haven't changed, omg.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 03:15:27 pm »
Because YOU said they haven't changed, omg.

Sure Of the past 2 to 3 years they haven't Most 20 40 $ popular good games have stayed more or less the same as far as lose carts go. Also for the more expensive games not much chance there. Only cib seems to go up as far as the past few years go that is.

I thought it would be kinda obvious in a topic like this,  guess I was wrong ::)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:04:43 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 07:36:22 pm »
To be honest, even at most flea markets SNES  most games are more the $10. However you might have better luck at Garage Sales and some flea markets or conventions but usually not so much

(examples of expensive online stores claiming to be the cheapest way to find SNES games)
https://www.dkoldies.com/super-nintendo

https://www.lukiegames.com/snes-super-nintendo-video-games.html

Probally the cheapest online way for Americans to purchase Super Nintendo games for under $10
https://www.jjgames.com/system/snes/all

Heck you can find just about every other system for less especially at flea markets
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:41:13 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 08:08:16 pm »
To be honest, even at most flea markets SNES  most games are more the $10. However you might have better luck at Garage Sales and some flea markets or conventions but usually not so much

(examples of expensive online stores claiming to be the cheapest way to find SNES games)
https://www.dkoldies.com/super-nintendo

https://www.lukiegames.com/snes-super-nintendo-video-games.html

Probally the cheapest online way for Americans to purchase Super Nintendo games for under $10
https://www.jjgames.com/system/snes/all

Heck you can find just about every other system for less especially at flea markets

I'm not saying that no people at all here on the forums go and buy them games at those game stores But there are allot of people who would rather buy at a store since there is more trust than the black market such as ebay etc. Stores can overcharge a bit on games especially the more popular ones but when It's broken one can return it etc you will accept to pay more than market value at a store for these reasons. If it's less popular prices can be the same or under market value this also applies for more expensive items since stores share the same potential buyers like everyone else in that regard. Only on the cheaper games, very popular franchies and consoles can stores overcharge and get away with it. Those rare fighting games etc will fetch just as much in a store as on ebay since the potential buyer is usually not someone who only uses stores not to mention the market is allot smaller than for the cheaper or very mainstream games. Condition will be the most important thing in that scenario not to mention the availability of the item, store benefits will be non existent to most buyers in this category since most people want the best value and don't care about returns  especially carts are pretty sturdy very low risk of one being broken And with discs if the condition is excellent same story kinda BS to pay extra for these people. the kind of people in that category are usually more hardcore collectors who just look everywhere to get a certain game since availablility is not always great.

People who don't like to use the black market to much are the bread and butter customers of stores not the people searching through the stores for mispriced stuff or below value etc their losing money when those people are around  ;D  Most people just buy them for those higher prices even if it's above ebay unless the price is very overpriced or It's something that no one wants. Stores can get premium value so if your looking for good deals stores are not the best spot to look even ebay would be far better especially for mainstream stuff. Oustide mainstream stuff there are most definitely chances even in stores but one should never expect to get the best deals at a store it is a place where the seller could charge and get premium prices not comparable to a flea market at all where one could find bargain deals and buyers expect to go home with the jackpot.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:41:33 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 08:52:01 pm »
"Black market"

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 08:58:19 pm »
Well well the justice police has showed up once again ::)

No I do not mean the criminal market lol.

Sites such as craigslist ebay etc wich i guess are not the black market.

Still though places such as ebay and especially craigslist are pretty shady not everyone is big fan to use them. Allot of people have gotten scammed in such places especially with current gen stuff. It is a black market in some way if you would like my opinion not to mention that some black market activity has taken place on sites such as craigs list.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:06:06 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 09:11:04 pm »
Well well the justice police has showed up once again ::)

No I do not mean the criminal market lol.

Sites such as craigslist ebay etc wich i guess are not the black market.

Still though places such as ebay and especially craigslist are pretty shady not everyone is big fan to use them. Allot of people have gotten scammed in such places especially with current gen stuff. It is a black market in some way if you would like my opinion not to mention that some black market activity has taken place on sites such as craigs list.
The correct term is gray market for craigslist that is eBay isn't even that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:14:42 pm by 98dgreen »

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 01:39:30 pm »
I of course can empathize with the OP. They are at a somewhat unreasonable price. I have noticed them peak, if not come down in the last two years. I've just used it as an opportunity to get ahead of the curb and grab the PSX and N64 games I want before they skyrocket. Just being patient with the SNES for now and only getting games I know I will play soon.

To combat this, I have been getting the Genesis/Mega Drive versions of games when possible. Contrary to SNES, it is hard to find a game for more than $20, at least in my neck of the woods. They are not what I am nostalgic for, but sometimes when I sit down with the games I realize that the genny versions are sometimes better than what I remember on the SNES (Earthworm Jim, for example).

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 06:35:23 am »
I of course can empathize with the OP. They are at a somewhat unreasonable price. I have noticed them peak, if not come down in the last two years. I've just used it as an opportunity to get ahead of the curb and grab the PSX and N64 games I want before they skyrocket. Just being patient with the SNES for now and only getting games I know I will play soon.

To combat this, I have been getting the Genesis/Mega Drive versions of games when possible. Contrary to SNES, it is hard to find a game for more than $20, at least in my neck of the woods. They are not what I am nostalgic for, but sometimes when I sit down with the games I realize that the genny versions are sometimes better than what I remember on the SNES (Earthworm Jim, for example).

N64 has gotten quite outrageous too as of late.  I'm glad you beat the spike :).     I used to always upset myself about the price changes.  How a game as common as smash melee can cost 60-70 bucks.  But then I tried to find a silver lining and it was hard but here is how I convinced myself.

I kinda see it as a mixed blessing.  On one hand the pricing makes it so us collectors get their wallet's beatened everytime we move the wrong way or want something we actually love because resellers want to send their kids to college like thevious manipulating snakes, hipsters buy them all and resell them and all and all the market suffers ridiculous price spikes that hurt everyone other than the sellers.   But at the same time it seems other consoles cool down when ones get hot. And our collections value not only in terms of money but trade value increases along with the rates. It makes it so any doubles us collector's already have such as say you have 2 copies of Mario Party or Chrono Trigger.   It makes it so we can get other things we want from other platforms easier just because everyone is so quick to buy those games. :D     

One way of looking at it anyway :)

It's really depressing though but I guess it comes with the surge of the new comers and just the landscape of collecting things and the more time passes the worst it'll get.  I reckon we'll see a day when Smash Melee is a few thousand dollars.  It's that bad and the saddest part is some desperate collector would pay it if it were the only means.   Resellers can dictate whatever price they want and if every other seller followed suit we'd always pay it.   Which is unfair.   

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:05:28 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 09:26:12 am »

N64 has gotten quite outrageous too as of late.  I'm glad you beat the spike :).     I used to always upset myself about the price changes.  How a game as common as smash melee can cost 60-70 bucks.  But then I tried to find a silver lining and it was hard but here is how I convinced myself.

I kinda see it as a mixed blessing.  On one hand the pricing makes it so us collectors get their wallet's beatened everytime we move the wrong way or want something we actually love because resellers want to send their kids to college like thevious manipulating snakes, hipsters buy them all and resell them and all and all the market suffers ridiculous price spikes that hurt everyone other than the sellers.   But at the same time it seems other consoles cool down when ones get hot. And our collections value not only in terms of money but trade value increases along with the rates. It makes it so any doubles us collector's already have such as say you have 2 copies of Mario Party or Chrono Trigger.   It makes it so we can get other things we want from other platforms easier just because everyone is so quick to buy those games. :D     

One way of looking at it anyway :)

It's really depressing though but I guess it comes with the surge of the new comers and just the landscape of collecting things and the more time passes the worst it'll get.  I reckon we'll see a day when Smash Melee is a few thousand dollars.  It's that bad and the saddest part is some desperate collector would pay it if it were the only means.   Resellers can dictate whatever price they want and if every other seller followed suit we'd always pay it.   Which is unfair.

Pretty much no collectors buy smash bros melee

The people who play this game the tournament scene pay these insane high prices since they really need it and it's pretty big people make a living out of it even some of the lesser players not to mention the fanbase thanks to the hyped tournament scene.

Not to mention with the many mods and talented technical people in that community I'm pretty sure they'l make something custom or even digital after some years to make the game free thus the original not usuable as reliable just as a collectors piece wich will make smash bros melee drop in price. actually they already made a training kit wich does not need the original if i am not mistaken so the original game could also be done that way I figure.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:31:05 am by sworddude »

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 10:43:23 am »
I, thankfully, have no expectation that my collection be valuable in the future. But it does hurt in the here and now when I see prices of games I would like to play. The Chrono Triggers, FFII, FFIII, Secret of Manas, and Earthbounds are all games I would really like to PLAY on original hardware. I have them all here or there, but not on SNES. I guess it's a shame, but I've waited 30 years to play them, I can wait a bit longer until the "hipsters" lose faith in their inventory and look to liquidate  ;)

I also fortunately have quite a few of the heavy hitters from my original purchases. Still have my original SSB Melee! I've not seen the hike in N64, but I believe it. The 20 somethings now likely grew up with it, where it was the last great console before college for me when the consoles got left in my parent's basement.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 12:52:24 pm »
I, thankfully, have no expectation that my collection be valuable in the future. But it does hurt in the here and now when I see prices of games I would like to play. The Chrono Triggers, FFII, FFIII, Secret of Manas, and Earthbounds are all games I would really like to PLAY on original hardware. I have them all here or there, but not on SNES. I guess it's a shame, but I've waited 30 years to play them, I can wait a bit longer until the "hipsters" lose faith in their inventory and look to liquidate  ;)

I also fortunately have quite a few of the heavy hitters from my original purchases. Still have my original SSB Melee! I've not seen the hike in N64, but I believe it. The 20 somethings now likely grew up with it, where it was the last great console before college for me when the consoles got left in my parent's basement.

Those particular games won't go down in value. Those were expensive before the retro-gaming bug ever hit. I remember seeing used copies of the FF games and Chrono Trigger in Software Etc. (before being bought out by GameStop) for $60-$70 used back in the late 90s.

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 03:47:49 pm »
Boo... I believe it though. I've also heard on a few occasions copies of Earthbound in discount bins. The other ones were over $80-90 when they launched. those would be like $120 new in our market. Crazy to think of! So, I suppose at $45-60 now for those carts aren't too bad. Yet, somehow a $90 (launch price) N64 cart can be had for less than $20. It's just weird I guess. The price we pay for a sticker, plastic and silicon. 

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 04:53:32 pm »
The price we pay for a sticker, plastic and silicon.

Same can be said for most other collectibles and those are way more overpriced especially for ones who are no fans of that genre

Graded comics art etc those are way worse and out of reach to allot of people.

Still though many of the rare disirable games were never cheap from the very beginning. Path of radiance was never a cheap game I'm pretty sure it was always around or slightly below the brand new value before it sky rocketed in the 100+ range. it was 40 50 many years ago at least the european version that is and that was before the gamecube craze titles like gotcha force was just 20 - 30 $ back than.  Panzer dragoon saga was also a pretty expensive game since it was very rare never cheap.

However the chances of people not knowing what they had were obviously higher back than.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:29:35 am by sworddude »