Author Topic: Help a newcomer; name your favourite exclusive games  (Read 1336 times)

Help a newcomer; name your favourite exclusive games
« on: April 04, 2018, 03:50:05 am »
So I started collecting physical copies of games just this month. The systems I currently collect for are:
Wii, Wii U, Ps1, 2, 3 and to some extent 4, on handheld DS and 3DS. I aspire to start collecting on n64 GC maybe but not likely NES, SNES. The problem I have with Nintendo up to Wii is that there is no nostalgia factor in it for me to collect on those systems and frankly, I am happy emulating the games on my Wii (physical copies of GC on Wii).

My philosophy and goal:
I do not want a huge collection I want an exclusive (not necessarily expensive). What I want is to capsule / preserve a few top games for every system mentioned above. “These where (In my opinion) the top 10-20 games on respective system”. What more, I want the games I collect to be exclusives or at least designed for the specific system. So for example even if The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games I don’t want to collect it as it can be found and was designed for various platforms. (I have it on Steam)

Why do I do this?
Nostalgia is probably the main factor, but I also want to be able to show my kids when they grow up what gaming in my childhood was like. I think what happened to music will happen to games, physical copies is a thing of the past (I also collect vinyl). Who is buying physical PC games these days? Physical games will soon become a rarity.

What do I need help with?
Well I know I’m unaware of games that fit my requirements and would ask for your help. If you find the time, you could answer this post with your favourite exclusives / “designed for” games:   

And if you know of any collector with a similar philosophy feel free to name-drop. I need people to follow ;)

Thank you,

realpoketendonl

Re: Help a newcomer; name your favourite exclusive games
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 06:08:34 am »
Here's some of my personal recommendations of must-haves on these systems:

Wii:
- Super Mario Galaxy; One of the best if not the best 3D Mario game in my opinion, and revolutionary for its time
- Super Paper Mario; a very underrated gem that's enjoyable charming fun from beginning to end
- Excite Truck; A Wii launch title that fell under the radar, but a fantastic off-road racing game well worth owning

Wii U:
- The Wonderful 101; Takes some time to get into, but when you it's a fantastic and very unique action game
- Bayonetta 2; I know it's also on Switch now, but I'm still going to plug it because it's simply my favourite game of all time. If you don't have it yet, make this your top priority

DS:
- Kirby Super Star Ultra; Arguably the best Kirby game, and definitely my favourite. If you're going to own any Kirby game, make it this one.
- Pokémon White 2; Of course a Pokémon game would have to make the cut, and purely off of blind nostalgia White 2 is my favourite, so I'm just going to plug that one.
- Super Princess Peach; A charming little platformer that has kind of been forgotten, but is still well worth a look
- The World Ends With You; A cult classic and for good reasons. Very unique and very good, a recommendation to any fan of action RPGs or Touch Screen games
- Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise; Look past the branding and you have a seriously addictive simulation game that may just be one of the most underrated games on the DS
- Super Scribblenauts; Without a doubt the best Scribblenauts game. One of the most unique and clever games on the DS and absolutely worth owning
- Drawn to Life and Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter; Two incredibly charming and very underrated games that more than deserve your attention. These games have some of the most charming characters and story I've ever seen. Dirt cheap too, so absolutely worth picking up! (Though heads-up: Please pick them both up seperately and don't buy the combo pack, because they changed the ending in the combo pack).

3DS:
- Kid Icarus: Uprising; An incredibly unique and fantastic action game that needs to be played to fully appreciate
- Tomodachi Life; Not for everyone, but if the trailers intrigue you it's well-worth a look. If it's your type of game I can assure you you'll have loads of fun with it
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 07:11:07 am »
I can't really think of enough games to play since I am not quite sure if we have the same exact taste but I can give you a decent online link where I bought a whole ton of my collection online and that has free shipping if you live within the United States I love this site its called

www.jjgames.com
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Agozer

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:23:37 am »
Some of my personal favorites:

Wii:
-Super Mario Galaxy 2: An excellent sequel to one of the best platformers ever created
-Project Zero 2 Wii Edition: While technically a remake of an older game, it's one of the best survival horror games ever made. The Wii controls might need some getting used to.

Wii U:
-Bayonetta 2: Hey, it's Bayonetta. The best character action game ever created.
-The Wonderful 101: A very difficult, but a very rewarding and unique action game.
-Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water: Gets a lot of flak for some reason, but its a very suspenseful horror game with some wonderful art direction
-Paper Mario: Color Splash: I really like the humor in this
-Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: One of the best platformers I've ever played. Very colorful and difficult to master

DS:
-Okamiden: A sequel to one of the best [not-Zelda] Zelda games of all time.
-The World Ends With You

3DS:
-7th Dragon III: Code VFD: An excellent JRPG with a phenomenal soundtrack
-Bravely Default and its sequel, Bravely Second: End Layer: Basically a throwback to older Final Fantasy games with excellent art direction and music.

PS4:
Bloodborne: The exclusive to end all exclusives. Yes, it's better than Dark Souls.
Gravity Rush Remastered and it's sequel: A wonderful set of games where the central gimmick is that you can control gravity.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:30:53 am by Agozer »

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:32:18 am »
Fair enough, we might not have similar tastes but here are some of my favourites. Sounds like you're the most unsure about the Nintendo games so in the interest of my reply not taking up the page I'll stick to their stuff, though I'm not a fan of the 3DS so can't really suggest 3DS games.

Wii
No More Heroes 1 & 2 - My personal favourite Suda51 game/s, these just feel great to play and the bosses are awesome. Second game in particular is brilliant. There is a PS3 PS Move port of the first game, but it's inferior imo.
Madworld - Platinum game, use the environment to kill enemies in as brutal ways as you possibly can while a duo of commentators provide commentary for your actions. It's just cruel gory fun.
Trauma Centre: Second Opinion - Never thought I'd be drawn in to the story and characters of a waggle control surgery simulator game. The gameplay is pretty good too though, feels really tense.
Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise / Rhythm Heaven Fever - Really fun rhythm game, I can play this for hours. If you're from America though it might not be as good, in the EU version you can enable the Japanese versions of the songs. I ain't no weeb but the English versions sound sort of artificial and unnatural.

Wii U
Splatoon - Goes without saying, you probably already have it if you have a Wii U but it's insanely fun. The online is still pretty much alive despite 2 being out but since the Splatfests have ended and the game's stagnating now I'd say you're probably better off moving to 2 if you have a Switch. 1 and 2 feel subtly different though so it's still worth playing. It's a shame to have missed it in its prime.

DS
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors - First game in the Zero Escape series which has a small but almost dangerously obsessed cult fanbase. And I'm in it, these games are amazing. If you're into narrative-driven games you owe it to yourself to play them. Might not technically call it an exclusive since it's now been ported to PS4 and Vita, but the port version is modified to fit the new consoles in a way that I can't explain without spoilers but is pretty disappointing. This game can only work on the DS or 3DS.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team - This game is honestly surprisingly good. It's a roguelike dungeon crawler which you may or may not be interested in yourself, but getting and evolving Pokemon in this is somehow even more engaging than in the main series. And there's just something generally about the game that draws you in. I can't recommend the other Mystery Dungeon games personally though, they feel unnecessary and stripped down.
Radiant Historia - Underrated JRPG, I haven't finished it but it's a traditional JRPG where the story takes place simultaneously over different parallel timelines, pretty interesting concept.
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia & Portrait of Ruin - Castlevania is great. Only reason I haven't included Dawn of Sorrow though is because I haven't played it, I'd assume that's good too.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series - Another one I probably don't need to explain, they're good. Can be stressful as balls if you don't know the answers though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:38:17 am by pizzasafari »

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 10:25:20 pm »
PS1: Rugrats Search For Reptar, Arc The Lad Collection, Final Fantasy VIII

PS2: Dark Cloud, Monster Rancher 4, Monster Rancher Evo

PS3: Infamous, Infamous 2, Uncharted 2

PS4: Infamous Second Son, Digimon World The Next Order, Friday The 13th The Game

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Kirby Return To Dreamland

WII U: Pikmin 3, New Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2

N64: Yoshi's Story, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario

Gamecube: Zoids Battle Legends, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 10:42:04 pm »
Wii:
A Boy and His Blob
Excite Truck
Punch-Out!!
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Wii U:
Game & Wario
NES Remix 1 & 2
Fast Racing NEO
Fatal Frame (Project Zero) : Maiden of Black Water
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3

PlayStation:
Ape Escape
Blasto
MediEvil
PaRappa the Rapper

PlayStation 2:
Ratchet & Clank
Snoopy vs. The Red Baron
Timesplitters
Devil May Cry
Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s

PlayStation 3:
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Uncharted
PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale
Valkyria Chronicles
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 04:03:30 pm »
Far too many to list here. NES in particular was just chock-full of amazing exclusives.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:15 pm »
Ps2 disgaea,disgaea 2,ace combat 4 and 5,soul reaver 2,onimusha 1,2,3
Ps3 disgaea 3 and 4,the orange box