Author Topic: Alt-Name field  (Read 787 times)

Alt-Name field
« on: April 07, 2018, 02:11:42 am »
I have tried on multiple occasions to correct or add some Alt-Name info but keep getting rejected. I understand my formatting may be incorrect but I don't understand what the correct formatting is.

Quote from: The style guide
The Alternate Title field is used to list other titles that the game is known as in other regions or the most common name.

• Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (US / EU) would have Castlevania: Byakuya no Concerto (its Japanese title)
   • Gunbullet (Japan) would have Point Blank (its US title)
   • Fahrenheit (Europe) would have Indigo Prophecy (its US title)

Should we specify what region the Alt-Name originates from or not? I have seen both examples come up on other games and the style guide does also specify this information. But I have been rejected doing this, being told that it's incorrect formatting.

Without being able to add a reason for the edit, I think some misinformation is being held onto. For example, the game Rival Schools (NA) is known as Rival Schools: United By Fate in Europe, but I have been rejected twice for trying to add this. I'm afraid this one might be because someone entered Fighters Edge as an Alt-Name, but Fighters Edge is a customer loyalty program created to encourage purchase or other games marked with Fighters Edge markings. Kind of like Club Nintendo.

Another example is the game Haunting Ground (NA) currently has the Alt-Name of Demento, デメント. I don't know what those symbols are, but I'm not allowed to remove them.

aliensstudios

Re: Alt-Name field
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:35:18 pm »
I would send Tripredacus a message as he seems to be the one who moderates edits. Even if he didn't isn't the one rejecting your edit he could probably shine some light on the subject since he knows the style guide in and out. It's happened to me multiple times and I always get answers when I ask.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:11:11 pm »
For a long time we didn't have double-byte character support, and if someone entered Japanese characters they would turn into gibberish as seen in Haunting Ground. Its odd because only Latin alphabet are suppose to be allowed to begin with.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:09:50 am »
I had rejected the edits for alt-name on Rival Schools, not because the information was incorrect, but because it was also removing information. Fighters Edge was in the alt-name field for the reasons that:
1. The entry was originally titled Rival Schools - Fighters Edge
2. People seem to think that there is a non-Fighters Edge version (as there is with some other games) and have been known to create duplicates and/or change this item's name to add Fighters Edge to the title.

I have modified the alt-name field to re-include Fighters Edge.

For the Haunting Ground issue... there is a problem on the site. There are two types of characters that can be used.

On the item listings themselves, the Haunting Ground example, it appears as:
デメント on the item page (I believe it is ASCII)
デメント on the admin side (UTF-8)

We have the ability to correct those titles, so it can be reported in Listing Errors thread if you find any, then we can get it fixed up for you. BUT I believe that we do not put original language title into alt-name field for US/EU entries. It should only be in place on items that were released in that language, where we have to come up with a romanized name for an item. And even so, this is not a hard requirement.