Author Topic: Video Game Protector Boxes  (Read 1273 times)

Video Game Protector Boxes
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:05:51 pm »
Hey everyone.
I've been buying protector boxes for my games recently but I've run into a bit of a snag. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding boxes for 2 games in particular:
1) Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year edition (5 5/8 x 7 1/16 x 1/2) - the problem I've been having is that its like 1/8 larger than normal dvds
2) The Legend of Zelda Breathe of the Wild: Expolorer's Edition (5 3/8 x 7 1/2 x 14/16)

anyone know a place that does custom protector case orders or game cases with similar sizes?

desocietas

Re: Video Game Protector Boxes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 01:08:16 pm »
Hm, I haven't looked up dimensions, but there are boxes that protect steelbook cases (which can sometimes be bigger than DVD boxes)... would something like that work?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:56:00 pm »
I already checked those and the Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary Edition is just slightly too wide to fit ;A;

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 01:57:47 pm »
Whatever you use "DO NOT USE CD WALLETS" always use either DVD or Bluray cases or even Fat Jewel cases of thin ones if you prefer.

CD Wallets leave the  Game or DVD/CD/Bluray unprotected and can even damage them with excessive use never buy the CD wallets. You actually better off leaving the CD Exposed rather then inside one of them wallets from my experience.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 02:22:11 pm »
Hm, good to know about those CD wallets. I don't care for them in general, and I like seeing the box artwork and manual. If I have disc only games, I just use old cd cases or paper sleeves until I can find a replacement box.

I'm sure you already checked, instantreplay, but I usually check http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com or https://www.retroprotection.com for weird shaped boxes. They sometimes make sizes for some collector's editions that wouldn't normally fit in any other box. They also have a contact form at https://www.retroprotection.com/contactus.sc in case you want to ask them about that particular item and what might fit...?

Sometimes I get items to fit but it does bug me if the boxes are slightly too big for the item.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:11:00 pm »
Hey everyone.
I've been buying protector boxes for my games recently but I've run into a bit of a snag. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding boxes for 2 games in particular:
1) Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year edition (5 5/8 x 7 1/16 x 1/2) - the problem I've been having is that its like 1/8 larger than normal dvds
2) The Legend of Zelda Breathe of the Wild: Expolorer's Edition (5 3/8 x 7 1/2 x 14/16)

anyone know a place that does custom protector case orders or game cases with similar sizes?

I'm not sure about those exact sizes but if you e-mail the guys at RetroProtection.com with the sizes they usually will be able to find something that will work. They did this for me with Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero and my Club Nintendo Game & Watch. Sometimes they'll throw in some freebies to try out if you make an order and remind them about it too, they hooked me up with some slightly used NES box protectors to cobble together to make Aladdin Deck Enhancer game protectors. I'd try that and hopefully they can help.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 01:05:47 pm »
Hey everyone.

I recently purchased a few protectors from retro protection for the Atari 2600. They fit the Nintendo switch version of Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition perfectly, like almost an exact fit, and the Breath of the wild Explorers Edition is slightly smaller than Axiom Verge and fits in the Atari protector as well, but with some extra room meaning it’s not a tight fit. I found a few other collectors edition type games that the Atari 2600 protectors fit, like the Shantae 1/2 genie hero risky beats edition for PS4 fits great too. Hope this helps, I had been looking for a protector for these games for a while and was very happy when I found these.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:10:37 pm by mookie802 »

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »
Whatever you use "DO NOT USE CD WALLETS" always use either DVD or Bluray cases or even Fat Jewel cases of thin ones if you prefer.

CD Wallets leave the  Game or DVD/CD/Bluray unprotected and can even damage them with excessive use never buy the CD wallets. You actually better off leaving the CD Exposed rather then inside one of them wallets from my experience.

guess ill take everything out of my cd wallets....

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 05:22:39 pm »

The reason why I said  not to use the CD wallets is because a lot of times the CD will become sticky and you can actually remove the valuable top layer while taking them out of the sleve  therefore Making the CD permanently damaged with no fix.

You can fix scratches to the bottom layer the shiny stuff. But there is no fix once the top layer peels off. When that happens, your disc is ruined. and even though the game might still work but, if their is any holes in the top layer your game will freeze up at a certain point while playing or watching it
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:25:32 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 03:41:25 pm »

Those dimensions seem extremely close to my measurement of my NES box of Jaws :).  Which measured 5 1/8'' x 7 1/8'' x about 9/10''  So a tad small for your box with a standard NES protector but I found this oversized plastic for NES boxes that leaves about half an inch of wiggle.  This might fit yours perfectly :).  Not sure but it's worth a shot.  Hope you find a protector that works soon :D

http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/store/4569532134

It's called the "legacy" size and is slightly wider and taller than a standard NES protector.  Only .80 cents per unit too.  not sure about shipping.   

Also, oldgamerz is spot on about CD wallets. They are really bad. CD wallets are so abrasive and essentially leave micro scratches everytime you remove them from the wallet.  I have never gotten a good condition game once it was stored for long periods in the disc wallets. And like oldgamerz said they get sticky in there for some reason even if you store them nice.  I highly reccommend the jewel cases.  They are affordable at staples or walmart.  Especially if you plan on storing collectible, or beloved games in them.  They work much nicer. :)   

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:59:04 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »