Author Topic: What are your top 10 JRPG's? For each generation.  (Read 3034 times)

dreama1

Re: What are your top 10 JRPG's? For each generation.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 03:02:50 am »
I could barely make a top 10 JRPGs of all time list lol. It's a genre I wanted so badly to get really into, and at one point I kind of was, but I lose interest in 80% of all JRPGs I start and never finish them.
Eh really? I always thought you were the RPG person on here.

I own a lot of them, and have played quite a few, but for whatever reason my interest in them has declined steadily since the mid-2000s. I seem to play more JRPGs that I dislike than ones I actually like. I probably could throw together a top 10, but I'm currently replaying some this year to re-evaluate where they stand and I just don't feel like it right now.
I feel the same as you. I'm guessing you refer to the turn based ones rather than action? It could just be it never really aged well. I try to stick to short rpgs. 10-20 hours max. People complain about a rpg of that length but i'm quite happy with a length like that.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 11:51:15 am »
I feel the same as you. I'm guessing you refer to the turn based ones rather than action? It could just be it never really aged well. I try to stick to short rpgs. 10-20 hours max. People complain about a rpg of that length but i'm quite happy with a length like that.

I'm mostly referring to classic turn based JRPGs on the SNES, PS1 and PS2. I 100% agree about the shorter JRPGs being more appealing which leads me to part of the reason why I think my interest in them has steadily declined.

I graduated high school in 2005 and started college that same year which really decreased the amount of time I had to devote to playing them. I remember starting about 4 or 5 different JRPGs my freshmen year and being interrupted in the middle of playing most of them for weeks or months, and by the time I had free time again, I just couldn't get motivated to start playing them again. I then realized that I wasn't having a ton of fun with them when I was actually playing them either.

Don't get me wrong, there are still excellent JRPGs out there that I enjoy, but most of them I just can't get into them, most of the time because of cliche anime-like characters, boring or confusing stories, bad english translations, or some other crap that just turns me off to the game. Someday, if I ever find myself with a lot of extra time on my hands I may make a honest effort to get back into the genre, but i'm worried that the content will prevent me from loving the genre as much as I did when I was 13 or so.

dreama1

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:03 pm »

I'm mostly referring to classic turn based JRPGs on the SNES, PS1 and PS2. I 100% agree about the shorter JRPGs being more appealing which leads me to part of the reason why I think my interest in them has steadily declined.

I graduated high school in 2005 and started college that same year which really decreased the amount of time I had to devote to playing them. I remember starting about 4 or 5 different JRPGs my freshmen year and being interrupted in the middle of playing most of them for weeks or months, and by the time I had free time again, I just couldn't get motivated to start playing them again. I then realized that I wasn't having a ton of fun with them when I was actually playing them either.

Don't get me wrong, there are still excellent JRPGs out there that I enjoy, but most of them I just can't get into them, most of the time because of cliche anime-like characters, boring or confusing stories, bad english translations, or some other crap that just turns me off to the game. Someday, if I ever find myself with a lot of extra time on my hands I may make a honest effort to get back into the genre, but i'm worried that the content will prevent me from loving the genre as much as I did when I was 13 or so.
Did you try FF15? Not turn based but still.

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 12:40:01 pm »

My girlfriend played it when it came out and she said it started out promising, but really took a shit during the last third of the game. I watched her play a large part of it and it just didn't seem interesting to me despite the gameplay being more action oriented. I am drawn to action RPGs a lot more these days, but the story and characters have to be interesting too in order for me to invest a lot of time into playing it.

dreama1

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 03:55:59 pm »

My girlfriend played it when it came out and she said it started out promising, but really took a shit during the last third of the game. I watched her play a large part of it and it just didn't seem interesting to me despite the gameplay being more action oriented. I am drawn to action RPGs a lot more these days, but the story and characters have to be interesting too in order for me to invest a lot of time into playing it.
What about Xenoblade for the Wii U?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 05:17:58 pm »
I don't think I can do 10 for each generation, that's a lot of listing.

But I will give you my top 10 RPGs, ever:

1.   King’s Field Series (PS1/PS2)  - If I separated them, it would dominate this list.
2.   The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion – Game of the Year Edition (Xbox 360)
3.   Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition (PC)
4.   Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance (Xbox)
5.   Crystalis (NES)
6.   The Legend of Legaia (PS1)
7.   Golden Sun/GS: The Lost Age (GBA) (it’s really just one continuous game/story)
8.   Chrono Trigger (SNES)
9.   Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
10.   Wild Guns (PS1)

So, uh, yeah..."JRPGs"...oops.

Let's try this again:

1.   The Legend of Legaia (PS1)
2.   Golden Sun/GS: The Lost Age (GBA)
3.   Legaia 2: Duel-Saga (PS2)
4.   Chrono Trigger (SNES)
5.   Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
6.   Wild Arms (PS1)
7.   Brave Fencer Musashi (does this count? Squaresoft...) (PS1)
8.   Xenogears (PS1)
9.   Final Fantasy (Dawn of Souls) (GBA)
10.   Parasite Eve (PS1)

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 07:33:53 pm »

What about Xenoblade for the Wii U?

I HATE Xenoblade X! I really liked the first one though.