Author Topic: VGCollects stance on custom/diy hardware  (Read 1475 times)

VGCollects stance on custom/diy hardware
« on: April 21, 2018, 03:46:05 am »
I'm finishing a project I will soon want to add to my collection (just waiting for few final components). I want to keep information about it somewhere in the collection tracker (which would be VGCollect), however I'm not sure if and how should I go about it.

So here's my question, what is VGCollect stance on totally custom diy hardware. I mean homemade stuff, not anything you can buy anywhere.
Things like custom fightsticks, MAME cabinets, diy arcades, or controllers. Like for example custom controllers people are sharing here: https://projectdiva.net/community/threads/project-diva-homemade-controllers.1465/
That's actually the project I'm finishing, custom Project DIVA FT controller.

There is nothing about things like that in "OFFICIAL Style Guide", can I add it as Hardware - Homebrew, and name it for example "Custom Project DIVA Future Tone Controller" without adding photo (so other people can add this item to their collections, even if their controllers may be slightly different)? Or maybe I should add the photo and in that case this will be one of a kind item which only I will have in collection? Or maybe I should skip this item entirely and track it outside of VGCollect?

Re: VGCollects stance on custom/diy hardware
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 08:25:36 am »
There was a thread about such stuff at the forum.
Personally I have nothing against, but I don't know what other guys are thinking about it ;)

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:30:09 am »
My opinion is that you define what collection is and you stick to it. If someone convinces you there's is a collecting court and you'll be judged for not collecting properly - this is bullshit to me. Not sure what other guys are thinking about it either.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:02:27 am »
If it is something you made yourself, and not a modification of an existing thing, and there is no way any other person could possibly own it, I don't see how such a thing would serve a purpose in the database as an item.

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:09:32 am »
If it is something you made yourself, and not a modification of an existing thing, and there is no way any other person could possibly own it, I don't see how such a thing would serve a purpose in the database as an item.

I think it deserves a place in the DB as it is video game related in nature but I DO NOT think it should go into the hardware part of the specific console it is for. personally I think it should go into the swag category if anything. maybe a new subcategory of Swag - Custom controllers or Swag - Unique Controllers, something along those lines
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:28:02 am »
You can put a picture of it in your gallery for sure, that way it will be on your profile.

I don't consider it the same as say... a painted console. In that case a painted console also shouldn't be put into the database. You just add the actual release and use notes to indicate that it was modified... I can see this type of scenario where people having the ability to add their own pictures for a particular item would come in handy. Another example would be those who have autographed items.

But what about this? Say kw4s puts this custom controller into the db, a truly one of a kind item that no one else could possibly own, what if others put that item into their collection as well? Would kw4s care if multiple people suddenly claim to own a thing that it is not possible for them to own? What purpose does an item listing have if multiple people cannot put it into their collection? That is why I am saying there is no reason for it to be in the database, it serves no purpose for the entire memberbase. It is not something that someone can hope to find someday, some rare item hidden away in someone's attic or in a storage locker. And then what if he takes it apart and/or accidentally runs it over with a car. The item then ceases to exist, and the entry has even less purpose being in our database.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:33 am »
So instead of focusing on the controller itself, let's think about what is inside. If we are to have an entry for such a thing, it should be an entry that anyone can use... That makes pictures an interesting things for now, but it may be best to use the gallery to put your pictures into, and the entry will have to be more generic. And if you add the item to your collection, you'll have to use the notes field for your specific details.

If the item is housed within a shell of an existing item, but you repainted it, or replaced insides to any amount (buttons count as insides), then you would add the existing item to your collection and set notes to reflect why yours is different.

If the item has the internals of something and you changed the outside, then this could be a separate entry, but the item in the database would not be the item as a whole, but the internal portion that is common. For a controller, this is going to be the PCB inside, so let's hear some opinions about how such an entry should be named, and what pictures we should allow for such an item.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 04:45:10 pm »
For a controller, this is going to be the PCB inside, so let's hear some opinions about how such an entry should be named, and what pictures we should allow for such an item.
Well actually, this simplifies things. The controller is based on Brook Universal Fighting Board, so I guess this can be added to database, and then included in a collection with appropriate note.
I like this idea, so I think I'm going to go with it.
edit: https://vgcollect.com/item/143024 , not really sure about the "Hardware / Accessory".
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:47:06 pm by kw4s »

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:31 am »
That category looks good.

tpugmire

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 10:13:44 pm »
I’ve never really thought about it before. I make those CD-I controller adapters, but never considered adding them to the database.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com