Author Topic: Changes to Mac section  (Read 793 times)

Changes to Mac section
« on: April 22, 2018, 03:13:36 am »
Hello! It's been awhile since the Mac section of the site was updated. As you might know, a few years ago Apple changed the name of their current computer system from "Mac OS X" to "macOS". Here's what we currently have:

Mac
Apple Macintosh Classic [NA]
Apple Mac OS X (Intel) [EU]
Apple Mac OS X (Intel) [NA]
Apple Mac OS X (PowerPC) [NA]
Mac OS X [JP]

I think we should update by combining the Intel and PowerPC sections since the OS is still the same. Macintosh Classic is still perfect as it is, since it's a completely different OS from the current one. So it should look like:

Mac
Macintosh Classic [NA]
macOS [EU]
macOS [NA]
macOS [JP]

What do you think?

tripredacus

Re: Changes to Mac section
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 10:19:25 am »
I've wondered about this also, at least saying "Macintosh Classic" which is a model of computer and not the OS like the rest. The equivalent would be OS 6-7... and those Macs are not the only computers you could have those OS versions installed onto. For example, you could get a Performa with OS 7 on it at one point... Or even install it onto one if you wanted.

Re: Changes to Mac section
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 05:45:59 pm »
True, the name for the "classic" versions of the Mac system is simply "Mac OS", which encompasses everything up to Mac OS X.

Mac OS X is a unix based system completely different from (and not directly compatible with) everything that came before it, but of course nowadays they've renamed it to "macOS"  ;D

I guess an all encompassing umbrella "Mac" platform would be an easier solution, combining the modern system with the "classic" era.