Author Topic: Rule of Rose: price surge or missed opportunity?  (Read 2637 times)

alkaid

Rule of Rose: price surge or missed opportunity?
« on: May 02, 2018, 04:10:45 pm »
Some months ago, I saw the game "Rule of Rose" for the PS2 at a retro game store. Looked interesting, reviews said everything but the gameplay was good, but decided not to get it at that time.
Now, this store keeps expensive games behind glass. Games $50-$60 are almost always behind glass, and games more than that always are. But I could have sworn I saw Rule of Rose sitting on an open shelf, somewhere around $40. Multiple times too, I feel that I've seen it sitting there.

But recently it came to my attention that that store got in another copy of the game, and after looking around online it seems that the game goes for around $250-$300. Confirmed today that the game is $300 at the retro game store. I could have sworn, sworn that it wasn't that much not long ago. I mean, I wouldn't have even considered picking it up if it was labeled at such a price.

So did the price suddenly go up recently, did I miss a prime opportunity to snag it for cheap, or am I crazy?
No, really.

kashell

Re: Rule of Rose: price surge or missed opportunity?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:21:09 pm »
It's been pricy for a long time. It got terrible reviews when it was released in 2006 and copies were few and far between.

So...if you saw it for 40 dollars, then that was a missed opportunity. If not, then you must have been seeing things.

That said, you'd probably enjoy watching it instead of playing it. It has a great story, but playing it? Yikes.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:54:22 pm »
If it was that cheap than yeah, that was definitely a missed opportunity. When the game was around $100 I saw it somewhere for $80, not an amazing price, but definitely on the low end for the time. I wish I would have grabbed it then because there is no way in hell I'd even pay $150 for it. It's a game that is expensive due to being a survival horror game, relatively rare, and for being "weird." It's essentially a trophy game that collectors brag to other collectors for having.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 06:20:35 pm »
Some months ago, I saw the game "Rule of Rose" for the PS2 at a retro game store. Looked interesting, reviews said everything but the gameplay was good, but decided not to get it at that time.
Now, this store keeps expensive games behind glass. Games $50-$60 are almost always behind glass, and games more than that always are. But I could have sworn I saw Rule of Rose sitting on an open shelf, somewhere around $40. Multiple times too, I feel that I've seen it sitting there.

But recently it came to my attention that that store got in another copy of the game, and after looking around online it seems that the game goes for around $250-$300. Confirmed today that the game is $300 at the retro game store. I could have sworn, sworn that it wasn't that much not long ago. I mean, I wouldn't have even considered picking it up if it was labeled at such a price.

So did the price suddenly go up recently, did I miss a prime opportunity to snag it for cheap, or am I crazy?

It has surged quite a bit recently but not only recent, it's been quite a bit for the past few years :).   I can recall it being around 200 dollars 2 years ago when I wanted it really bad.  Now it's hovering near 300.   If you seen it maybe 5-6 years ago, i'd say it was likely but since you said only a few months back, it was probably a case only for 40$. 

I have heard stories of people who seen it for 5-10 dollars in discount bins when it was new.  I don't consider it a missed oppurtunity though because nobody can predict the surges of the price.  It happens with the games you'd never expect.  :D

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 06:29:43 pm »

Hm, I guess there was a bump in the last few months... (with a grain of salt from pricecharting)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

r33benelli

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:37:06 pm »
If it was the same game, you should of grabbed it at that price. Story is supposed to be good if you stick with it, but its gameplay mechanics kills it and tests your patience apparently. It's one of those games you play and suffer through for the story.

Price wise it generally goes up a bit in price every once in a while then slightly corrects itself a bit higher than before. I have the iso on my PS2 hard drive but ended up picking up a complete copy earlier this year.  A good bundle came up for sale and i picked up my copy that way. Don't pay $300. It's really a $60 game with a $220 reputation/hype tag.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »
I didn't realize it was that high

alkaid

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 12:24:01 am »
Never seen the store sell cases-only, with the exception of generic ones (like those clear N64 cases), so it looks like I might've just missed out on a steal. Wouldn't have minded toughing out the gameplay for the price I saw it for, but not $300.

Thanks a lot for the help you all, I'm not all too familiar with the PS2 market so I didn't know what to think. Never really bothered to price check at that store since they're really good about pricing fairly, but I guess I should check for deals too. Lesson learned and all.
No, really.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 04:30:35 am »
I actually find it pretty ironic as far as rules of rose goes everyone wants it but It's so pricy and the game to have on ps2 for rarity and being surival horror.

I really wonder if just as many people are interested in the game if the value was low just saying  ::)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:41:21 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 01:02:54 pm »
Ahhh its an Atlas game. That explains it. Atlas fans are insane.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 08:34:00 pm »
Bought Haunting Grounds and Rule of Rose for $20 each.  In.... *gets the receipt* Gamestop on 07/17/2011 at 11:58am.  Funniest part i been eyeing that copy for over 1 year, just sitting their no one paying it attention, in Gamestop near my College, and than finally deiced you know what i love horror games i think i should give that game proper home.... 7 years later this game now worth $300... o.o

Kuon i bought back in 2008... and i been telling everyone and even youtbuers for longest time that in my book Kuon is RAREST video game out their.  Finally they caught on and saw price go crazy up....  when i picked up my copy for $6... the guy just looked at me crazy cause he never heard of the game and didnt think they had it.... than he found it in deep deep deep forgotten parts of Gamestop in the back.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:35:45 pm by lordsofskulls »
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 08:54:49 pm »
I sold my copies of Kuon and Rule of Rose last year for $200 each. I got them for $20 a piece back in the day.
The prices will go up and down just like everything else.

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 10:06:58 am »
Scary part is how ps2 games all went up at same time, now i see it happing to ds and psp games.  I feel like ps vita and ps3, wii, wii u might be next.
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

rayne315

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 10:24:57 am »
Scary part is how ps2 games all went up at same time, now i see it happing to ds and psp games.  I feel like ps vita and ps3, wii, wii u might be next.

things like this tend to happen when the generation that grew up on them comes into disposable income. it typically waits about 15 years or so and then everything starts slowly pushing back up in price.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 12:23:17 pm »
Missed opportunity. It was over $200 well over 7 years ago.