Author Topic: Can anyone help with some info on games I found?  (Read 1242 times)

Can anyone help with some info on games I found?
« on: April 25, 2018, 05:55:18 pm »
So I found some old Dungeons and Dragons PC games today and picked them up just cause I thought they looked interesting. I know nothing about old pc games and just thought I could use them to trade or sell them. Anyone have any info on what they might be worth or do we have any pc collectors that have equipment that would be willing to help test them?

https://imgur.com/gallery/Y39dhep

tripredacus

Re: Can anyone help with some info on games I found?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:21:53 am »
$15 on the 3 pack

No price on the other one. There are no listings for the 5.25" release for sale or sold on Ebay.

Of course, when it comes to magnetic media, the disks need to work to have the high value. Otherwise, you would consider it as if the disks were not present.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:33:12 am »
$15 on the 3 pack

No price on the other one. There are no listings for the 5.25" release for sale or sold on Ebay.

Of course, when it comes to magnetic media, the disks need to work to have the high value. Otherwise, you would consider it as if the disks were not present.

I disagree

Many people sell them as is working or not these include the higher sales prices. The value is in the boxes and the content lose floppies are replacable

these floppies are so fragile not to mention that most people including sellers do not even have the equipment to test them.

It really seems it has been more a memento of the past than to actually play them. That's just what I see with them old pc games and allot of sellers these days. Very easy to emulate also.

So many high pc sales with probably broken floppies wich is mentioned in the description yet people risk it since it will break down at some point. the value is in them boxes etc

Heres an example It's so easy to find i guess the collector market accepts it if there is a chance it is not working since floppies are such an unreliable format.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/DOOM-IBM-PC-id-Software-on-4-3-5-Disks-1993-BOX-AND-INSTRUCTIONS-INCLUDED/142685187467?hash=item2138b32d8b:g:aCcAAOSwIspafeOA
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:38:13 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:45:18 am »
Yeah- I'm not super into PC gaming, but based on what I've seen around the boxart is the real draw for these titles. Obviously working media is always good, but even if you don't have that as long as you have all the paper bits you've got some value.

Based on box alone, you've got about $30ish for the stand alone game- but considering the amiga port seems to go for over $100, this one looks rare enough for specific format to matter. I'd check around your local area for any retro computing hobby groups... not only could they help you test your discs, they can give you a better idea of how desirable your games are.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »
I disagree

Many people sell them as is working or not these include the higher sales prices. The value is in the boxes and the content lose floppies are replacable

Ok let me rephrase. Existing sales data is going to fall into the "as is/unknown" quality category. Items sold as "known working" such as with a picture of the program running on a monitor, gives an increase to price. When looking at these things, you have to keep in mind a few categories in which to determine price:
1. exact edition
2. relative edition (same game, different box, minor variant, etc)
3. relative media (same game, different disk type, not counting CD-rom versions)
4. relative game (same game, same disk, different platform)
5. any of the above shown to be working

Usually you don't even have to use all of those types to determine value because with a lot of PC games, there isn't a large amount for sale/sold to even bother so you can just get a general idea but not an actual value.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:25:52 pm »
I disagree

Ok let me rephrase. Existing sales data is going to fall into the "as is/unknown" quality category. Items sold as "known working" such as with a picture of the program running on a monitor, gives an increase to price. When looking at these things, you have to keep in mind a few categories in which to determine price:
1. exact edition
2. relative edition (same game, different box, minor variant, etc)
3. relative media (same game, different disk type, not counting CD-rom versions)
4. relative game (same game, same disk, different platform)
5. any of the above shown to be working

Usually you don't even have to use all of those types to determine value because with a lot of PC games, there isn't a large amount for sale/sold to even bother so you can just get a general idea but not an actual value.

I don't think it will ad to much to the value since like you said Some pieces are so rare people will just pay the value risking the game non working since floppy's are so fragile these days that with use they might just break. Especially the boxes in nice shape will determine the value. Maybe it wiill increase a bit but I highly doubt it.

it's almost pretty much a collectible not for players even more of the hardcore collectors will probably not even use them and emulate them instead when they own them

I do get what your saying but in reality thanks to allot of pc games being very hard to come by in the first place it doesn;t line up as well.

as far as the working idea goes I've seen some sales with wolfenstein or doom games the more rare variants that go for hundreds with the description as working with the correct equipment etc yet the price is pretty much the same as a unknown working one wich you could consider broken. People pay insane amounts while the floppies might be dead it really seems people don't give a damm. Yes pc games have many variants and values fluctuate but in pc collecting people seem to just don;t give a damm and pay nice amounts.

If people sell something as is, not tested risk on buyer etc as a buyer you can expect an item to be broken it's a pretty big deal for most formats except for old pc big box floppy gaming.

In the end it will be especially the cardboard packaging that will determine the value the working aspect with a dying media such as a floppy disc will not have that much influence especially as time goes by of the price unless it is a cheaper pc game bought to be played if not worthless already.

Sure for carts and discs in today's retro gaming It's super important will slash the value in half if not more however those formats are very reliable It's pretty plain and simple. Pc gaming is also pretty hard to setup aside from the very fragile nature of them floppies. Less players are attracted to pc gaming unlike cart and disc media in wich the larger group are the people who actually play them games.

PC collecting especially when going for the early floppy releases it really seems to be just a memento of the past. It's more of a collectors only market and a pretty minor part for the gameplay when done with original hardware that is.

With retro cart or disc based systems if you sell them as working as iss your value would be 10 -  50%  sometimes a bit more if people really want it especially with nice boxes. With pc gaming It's just not the same people seem to ignore it as long as the packaging is nice and crispy.

Maybe in the retail world this could work out but thanks to the fragile nature of them floppies retro stores avoid pc big box games, pretty hard to keep up with warranties I'm guessing  ::)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:49:39 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 04:50:18 pm »
Man I really wish i had the equipment to test these. I'm not really looking to make a ton off these, I would prefer to find a collector that would really enjoy them and give them a nice deal on them. Maybe I'll start looking for someone local that has a computer that can test them. Thanks for all your input guys!

rayne315

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 05:30:05 pm »
shit... I got super excited when I saw this. I thought it was the one I have missing from the "A Forgotten Realms" Story line ( The first volume storyline). If you are looking to offload I will buy the single "The Dark Queen of Krynn" if it has the Decoder ring in it (if you boot up the game it asks for a string of letters located in the ring, old school DRM).

Unfortunately im lazy and haven't put in the actual artwork yet but I do own

https://vgcollect.com/item/138443 - Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Pool of Radiance: A Forgotten Realms Vol 1

https://vgcollect.com/item/138444 - Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Secret of the Silver Blades: A Forgotten Realms Vol 3

EDIT:

I Lied this release never had a decoder ring... they instead use information from either the data card or the instruction booklet...

Edit 2:

As far as price I can only find 1 sold listing for the IBM version and it sold for $25 + $10 shipping with the discs being non-original. as far as D&D is concerned you have the rarest game but for the  most common system it was sold for if that helps you any.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Dungeons-and-Dragons-Dark-Queen-Of-Krynn-IBM-RARE-GAME/152968203463?hash=item239d9d8cc7:g:nRIAAOSwh41awXby
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:56:26 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:48:37 pm »
So I found some old Dungeons and Dragons PC games today and picked them up just cause I thought they looked interesting. I know nothing about old pc games and just thought I could use them to trade or sell them. Anyone have any info on what they might be worth or do we have any pc collectors that have equipment that would be willing to help test them?

https://imgur.com/gallery/Y39dhep

Old PC games especially floppy discs don't usually run well on modern computers. Also unlike gaming consoles people just throw out their old computers when usually they are more then 5 to 10 years old usually or older sometimes.

Of course there is emulation like the DOSbox app  https://www.dosbox.com/   for windows in which will help. If the game is to run on a modern system.

But if they are floppies than someone would need a floppy disc drive in order to play them. there are USB ones.

But it also depend on what kind of floppy disc are we talking about. hard floppy disk? or soft floppy disks? if you mean soft floppy disc then I'll tell you. I have not seen a soft floppy disk player since I was I'm guessing maybe 4?, 5? or 6? years old and my current age is now 29.

however I know peope at least use to sell portable hard floppy discs drive (new) to connect with USB in the PS2 era.

(TO USE DOSbox)

also to use DOSbox it is not as simple you will need a floppy disk drive and copy and paste all the files from the floppy. without deleting the game disk. and put the files into a new folder on your desktop for example.

but can't quite remember how to use DOSbox but one of these things below

You might be able to drag the .exe file into the DOSbox shortcut on your desktop to run it

or either drag the DOSbox shortcut into the games .exe file to play instantly I can
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:04:23 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 03:04:10 pm »
If you are looking to offload I will buy the single "The Dark Queen of Krynn"

Rayne, This one does have the original manual and the original discs (but again I have no way to test them), I can take pictures when I get home tonight of all the contents. I'd be down to sell it to you or even trade it if you have any console games you'd be willing to let go. If you're interested in it, hit my up via PM and we can work out the details.