Author Topic: How to list rental cases  (Read 2420 times)

How to list rental cases
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:29 am »
Hey there
I have a Metal Gear Solid 1 Blockbuster rental and I'm wondering how I should list it onto the database. I'm not sure if I put it under the normal games and add " - Blockbuster Rental" at the end or if there is another section for rentals (if so I couldn't find it). Could someone please clarify for me please. Thank you.
raiden58237
It doesn't matter how much money you put into it, what matters is how much time and effort you put into it. Always quality over quantity.

tripredacus

Re: How to list rental cases
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:53:09 am »
I know there are some Sega rental games from EU (Scandinavia I think?) that are listed on sites as being Genesis games, but I have always skipped putting them into the database. Part of the reason was that I never see pictures of them online. And then I even own rental cases for various stores that are just the company paperwork with a printed name, and did not add those. Nor do we add the custom case artwork that Gamestop and other stores use to package their games.

I'm not sure about what you describe, can you post a picture or a link to what one looks like?

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:48:12 am »
I'd like to see a picture as well, as my understanding is most/all rentals are identical to the retail release, the renter just added their own labeling.

Unless there's something intrinsically different about the rental version, I don't think it needs its own listing at all. Just use the standard listing & maybe note it's a former rental in the 'notes' section.

shfan

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:31:40 am »
Funnily enough I'm glad this came up - I've got some rental games to add too :)

UK Blockbuster PS1 games come in clam cases, completely different to standard PAL PS1 cases, the discs are different (all-black label with a load of text) and the inlay is a gatefold with basic control instructions on the back (perhaps some game details too), which is again different to the standard releases which came with front and rear inlays (separate) and standard discs.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 12:43:43 am »
Funnily enough I'm glad this came up - I've got some rental games to add too :)

UK Blockbuster PS1 games come in clam cases, completely different to standard PAL PS1 cases, the discs are different (all-black label with a load of text) and the inlay is a gatefold with basic control instructions on the back (perhaps some game details too), which is again different to the standard releases which came with front and rear inlays (separate) and standard discs.

WOW. That is so not we did it 'round the states.

Ok- so I'd think this would fall under a variant release, which means a separate listing called 'Title (Blockbuster Rental)'. Unless this format was common across all rental, then perhaps (former rental) or (rental release)?

shfan

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 03:22:56 pm »
Sorry hoshichiri, it may well be that it's a generic rental rather than specifically a Blockbuster packaging - I'm going to get hold of one of them (they're at my parents' place) over the next few days and confirm that.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:10:52 pm »
I think adding rental/used game store covers/cases would be terrible, if that's what's being suggested. I consider things like that custom pieces, I collect 360 games, and I would leave if the lists were cluttered with the different gamestop covers, hastings, best buy, local places, etc.
I would just add them to my collection, and add what they are in the notes, unless it's something officially licensed.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 07:35:32 am »
I know there are some Sega rental games from EU (Scandinavia I think?) that are listed on sites as being Genesis games, but I have always skipped putting them into the database. Part of the reason was that I never see pictures of them online. And then I even own rental cases for various stores that are just the company paperwork with a printed name, and did not add those. Nor do we add the custom case artwork that Gamestop and other stores use to package their games.

I'm not sure about what you describe, can you post a picture or a link to what one looks like?

Hey all
This is the rental game I an inquiring about.
https://gyazo.com/324aa86555f0c00e703fa93667674280
It doesn't matter how much money you put into it, what matters is how much time and effort you put into it. Always quality over quantity.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 11:41:21 am »

Hey all
This is the rental game I an inquiring about.
https://gyazo.com/324aa86555f0c00e703fa93667674280

Based on the case alone, I'd say no- the fact that it's got the store's info printed on the insert means it's an 'aftermarket' insert, and demands no more special attention than a Cover Project insert in a universal game case. (I think, anyway- I'm not familiar with the UK setup, but that looks like the generic make-it-yourself cases US stores used for rentals.)

However- if you have the rental variant discs shfan was talking about, that's another matter entirely & could warrant a new listing.

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 11:34:49 am »
The image posted is a generic case that can have any number of various things printed on it. So it is not either a PlayStation nor Metal Gear item. It is a Blockbuster item.

The two options I can think of for an item such as this.
- When you add the game into your collection, you use the notes field to indicate it has that case.
- Allow the case itself to be added to the databse, however as a generic item. Not as a Metal Gear Solid - PlayStation case, but as a Blockbuster keep case or "Blockbuster PlayStation Games to Rent case (blue)" or [EU] at the end. This item would not go into the typical platform category, but into the Other or perhaps into a swag category... if we consider this item to be more like those steelbooks you can get on their own.

If the item is to be put into the db, then the description must state the origin of the item, and the game title, address and other text is printed to specifically reflect the contents, and that the ELPSA rating (in this case anyways, Blockbuster US did not use ESRB label on their rentals) will be different.

Then, in the notes of adding this item to the collection, you can put "Metal Gear Solid" as the game inside.

That is my initial thoughts, see what you guys think or if you have any other ideas.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 01:38:43 pm »
I'm of the same mind as hoshichiri - they sound like custom cases, and even if there is some consistency because of the franchise stores, it's no different to me than when other used games stores print out generic covers for their disc-only games.

I'd recommend using the notes field to indicate the case it has. I could see it being added to the database if someone finds that it has some sort of "collectibility" but I don't know if anyone goes out of their way to find games with rental cases.

This, of course, doesn't apply to game variants that were produced specifically for rental stores, like ClayFighter: Sculptor's Cut.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

shfan

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 06:29:43 pm »
Sorry for the delay, it's been a hell of a bank holiday. I'd forgotten about the retailer-specific self-printed labels like the one Raiden's photographed, though I knew what you guys meant by that. Here's a link to a big collection of the ones I meant: https://www.ebay.co.uk/cln/dansaru/playstation-blockbuster-ex-rental-games-uk-pal/356156408014

There are a couple of rental-store replacement covers, but most are what I meant. I've got a copy of Jumping Flash 2 like the one in that album, I'll scan the inlay and disc and upload them (once I've found an image host and made an account) so you can take a look.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 08:00:11 pm »
Sorry for the delay, it's been a hell of a bank holiday. I'd forgotten about the retailer-specific self-printed labels like the one Raiden's photographed, though I knew what you guys meant by that. Here's a link to a big collection of the ones I meant: https://www.ebay.co.uk/cln/dansaru/playstation-blockbuster-ex-rental-games-uk-pal/356156408014

There are a couple of rental-store replacement covers, but most are what I meant. I've got a copy of Jumping Flash 2 like the one in that album, I'll scan the inlay and disc and upload them (once I've found an image host and made an account) so you can take a look.

Ah, cool. Yeah, I can see those particular disc variants being notable enough to be included as their own items in the database, personally.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 09:08:37 pm »

Now see, these are a completely different beast than our US rentals- it's not regular retail copy thrown into a custom store case, it's a completely unique take right down to being a different disc. Definitely worthy of a variant listing.

We didn't really see things like that stateside- the closest we got is Hollywood video's rental cases:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-GameCube-Shonen-Jumps-Naruto-Clash-Of-Ninja-2-CIB-Hollywood-Video-Art/112960161665?hash=item1a4cf34781:g:8AYAAOSw7z1Z8Wig:sc:USPSFirstClass!98002!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blinx-2-Masters-of-Time-Space-Microsoft-Xbox-2004-In-Hollywood-Video-Box/352345501878?epid=30951729&hash=item52096db0b6:g:tIwAAOSwhFla61Np

However, I'm not of the mind that these deserve the same separate listings. As best as I can tell, these are still retail releases plopped into custom cases, just ones with more effort put in. You can see the GC game is in a standard DVD case, and neither disc or manual has any indication of being a rental. Plus, i spent a lot (a LOT) of time at my local Hollywood when it closed, visiting and re-visiting as the prices dropped to see what was worth buying. Very few games had those rental cases, indicating that they had the originals around and made the rental cases.

I wish I knew a former Hollywood employee- it'd be nice to find out just what the origin of those cases are.

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 09:32:27 am »

Ah, cool. Yeah, I can see those particular disc variants being notable enough to be included as their own items in the database, personally.

Use a suffix for these entries

(Rental Only)

when adding them to the database. As long as they are not demos, they can be put into the regular games category. Try to get pictures of the disc on at least one of the entries, so that people can know what they generally look like in case they do not know.