Author Topic: Option to copy a game to another region  (Read 1544 times)

Option to copy a game to another region
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:19:36 pm »
I've found quite a few games that are in one region but not another, and so far the only option is to create a new entry and then copy each bit by hand (including downloading images and re-uploading).
It would be great if we could easily copy a game from one region to another, mostly an [EU] issue ;)

Re: Option to copy a game to another region
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 01:55:45 pm »
What do you mean by different region ? Like taking the data of an US item to create the same as an EU item or taking an European item to create another European item ? ...Well in any case most of the data of that item would be wrong, except maybe for the name (most of the time) and the developer, everything else can change, even between different European country the games can have a lot of difference (like the release date or the publisher) and i don't even talk about the different covers and ratings (there are so many different rating... i've just discover a very old version of the SELL rating to add to the list  ::)).

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 02:34:11 pm »
What do you mean by different region ? Like taking the data of an US item to create the same as an EU item or taking an European item to create another European item ? ...Well in any case most of the data of that item would be wrong, except maybe for the name (most of the time) and the developer, everything else can change, even between different European country the games can have a lot of difference (like the release date or the publisher) and i don't even talk about the different covers and ratings (there are so many different rating... i've just discover a very old version of the SELL rating to add to the list  ::)).

Right, the images for sure are usually different, so I think the intention is that the user has the item in-hand and is documenting the information for each field. Allowing copying from one region to another might let incorrect information slip through. I'd honestly prefer to have the fields blank rather than wrong.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 04:15:33 pm »
For a large number of games like those on steam, its the same the world over.

But in this instance I've just picked up a 3DO an a bunch of games (about 30), and 25 of them are not in the EU section but are in the US and as far as I've been all the box art are the same and the descriptions.  The thought of having to add 24 games by mostly copying the data across is putting me off doing it.
At a min it could auto fill the details in which we could then edit.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 04:41:20 pm »
For a large number of games like those on steam, its the same the world over.

But in this instance I've just picked up a 3DO an a bunch of games (about 30), and 25 of them are not in the EU section but are in the US and as far as I've been all the box art are the same and the descriptions.  The thought of having to add 24 games by mostly copying the data across is putting me off doing it.
At a min it could auto fill the details in which we could then edit.

Understandable. It's definitely a process for submitting games that are not already in the system. I don't know anything about the 3DO, though... Did NA releases mostly do longboxes? I don't see longboxes in the EU section. Seems to be mostly jewel cases, but maybe you're trying to add the long boxes :P

If anything, we don't separate by region with Steam, so there is no need in that section.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:44:02 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 07:18:56 pm »
The 3DO is region free.  An important factor and why I would consider buying one today.  To get a bit more on topic it becomes a slippery slope when to realize the name changes too.  A ton of games significantly change their title or are completely different depending on region. 

edit:  metshael beat me to it!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:29:13 pm by shadowzero »

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 11:39:07 am »
Older consoles that are region free have been known for having games sold (on the secondary market) out of region. As this is the case, because you happened to find a game in Europe, it does not necessarily mean it is a European release. People travel and things can get mixed up.

Other systems where this is common: VCS, Game Gear, Game Boy, SMS, etc.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:09:19 pm by tripredacus »

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 01:20:43 pm »
Older consoles that are region free have been known for having games sold (on the secondary market) out of region. As this is the case, because you happened to find a game in Europe, it does not necessarily mean it is a European release. People travel and things can get mixed up.

We do have different regions listed for the 3DO, though... were there region-exclusive games for that system?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 01:24:33 pm »

We do have different regions listed for the 3DO, though... were there region-exclusive games for that system?

As is with the GG, Gameboy, etc, you have different art and ratings on the box, hence NA or EU release.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 01:28:47 pm »

As is with the GG, Gameboy, etc, you have different art and ratings on the box, hence NA or EU release.

Ah, right, right. In the end, it sounds like the 3DO boxes and art will likely not be identical between regions, so simply copying one record to the other would be ill-advised.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 03:16:34 pm »
If anyone has an item they need help to identify, especially if they have just the media and not the box or case, feel free to ask in the forum and I'm sure we can try to figure it out.