Author Topic: Option to add DLCs.  (Read 1368 times)

armani

Option to add DLCs.
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:23:34 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone's suggested this yet, but I think there should be a separate option for DLCs, as I have a bunch of obscure Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.1/98/2000 DLCs that I want to add into my virtual collection.

Re: Option to add DLCs.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:25:03 am »
I do agree with this :)
Having a DLC section would be interesting, without any region restriction and not including Free DLC (from patches, I mean).

Agozer

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 06:11:06 am »
There are  DLC entries already, at least for consoles. Majority of those are weighty Single Player content, though.

I personally don't think it serves a purpose to add every single, even the smallest, piece of DLC for every game.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:27:46 am »
It has already been stated that while we do allow DLC for consoles (also for steam/gog) that it is for major DLCs and not for skin packs.

If we are talking about DLCs for PC games... well, what is older than Oblivion Horse Armor? Even that "first DLC to fit the description" isn't allowed per our rules for listing DLC items.

If we are talking about add-ons (that are not actually DLC) but were available for download for PC/Mac/Linux games, they can be added into PC Digital Download... but it would need to be significant. For example, I wouldn't add all of the individual maps or models (PK3) I have for Quake 3, but perhaps Rocket Arena or Superheroes would count as they are larger mods or TC/Total Conversions. It is not something I would do myself, as I do not consider those to be "collected" in the same sense. In a similar sense, I would not add emulators (such as MAME or NESticle) to PC Digital Download either.

And if anything is to be added into PC Digital Download, you MUST put into the description where the thing was available from. Otherwise, the items will get merged with Steam/GOG or removed if origination is not documented or easily determined.

If you can give some specific examples of things you would want to add, post them and we will see if they can fit into our DB in some way.

armani

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 06:41:24 pm »
It has already been stated that while we do allow DLC for consoles (also for steam/gog) that it is for major DLCs and not for skin packs.

If we are talking about DLCs for PC games... well, what is older than Oblivion Horse Armor? Even that "first DLC to fit the description" isn't allowed per our rules for listing DLC items.

If we are talking about add-ons (that are not actually DLC) but were available for download for PC/Mac/Linux games, they can be added into PC Digital Download... but it would need to be significant. For example, I wouldn't add all of the individual maps or models (PK3) I have for Quake 3, but perhaps Rocket Arena or Superheroes would count as they are larger mods or TC/Total Conversions. It is not something I would do myself, as I do not consider those to be "collected" in the same sense. In a similar sense, I would not add emulators (such as MAME or NESticle) to PC Digital Download either.

And if anything is to be added into PC Digital Download, you MUST put into the description where the thing was available from. Otherwise, the items will get merged with Steam/GOG or removed if origination is not documented or easily determined.

If you can give some specific examples of things you would want to add, post them and we will see if they can fit into our DB in some way.
ProFlight 98, DC-3 Expansion for MFS98, Planes of Airbus Expansion for MFS98, Airport 2000 for MFS98. A couple of these are pretty obscure, so they're hard to find on the Internet.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:43:25 pm by dickkickem »

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:27:51 am »
Ok those are not DLC. They had physical releases, so they can only go into the PC category as those releases.

We will not add items like this to PC Digital Download so that people can track their warez/abandonware collections.

It is the same reasoning why we wouldn't create categories or entries for ROMs or ISOs.

armani

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 06:07:22 pm »
Ok those are not DLC. They had physical releases, so they can only go into the PC category as those releases.

We will not add items like this to PC Digital Download so that people can track their warez/abandonware collections.

It is the same reasoning why we wouldn't create categories or entries for ROMs or ISOs.
I think I had a brain fart when making this thread, didn't mean DLC at all, I meant expansion packs in general. Sorry lol.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:07 am »
There are already many expansion packs and unofficial add-ons in the db, so it is fine to add them. Just make sure that you find the correct box art for the front image. If you can't find it, then leave it blank. For games that you do not have the outer box, and just a jewel case but the jewel case has no UPC on it, it will mean it likely came in a box. We should not have the jewel case as front art for an item that came in a box. Finding correct pictures can be a pain sometimes, if you need help, let us know.