Author Topic: What are some movies that are very loved and popular but you didn't enjoy?  (Read 2848 times)

Hello everyone :D

Have you ever had a movie that was so critically acclaimed and beloved by everyone that the sheer public peer pressure of your friends and how much they loved it and bragged about it's epicness that it became cultural phenomenon to the point where you couldn't avoid it?

A movie with so much popularity and merchandising power that you couldn't help but cave into it's magical aura.  But once you popped it into your DVD/Blu Ray player it ended up being underwhelming compared to it's hype?  A movie that you couldn't grasp the amazing reviews it got even after a few watches?  :D

Here are some movies that were very popular but that I didn't love as much as most of my friends.  Not that they are bad movies, I know they are very loved but these are just my personal tastes and preferences.   I know many of these are great :)   

1. Batman: The Dark Knight -   When this movie came out in 2008, it was like batman himself was in my city fighting crime. The nuance of it and my friends really were beloved fans of it.  While it's a great movie,  and has amazing special effects.  It's not the best batman movie imo and certainly not top 5 movie of all time as some people label it.   I find it to be lacking depth and story although the joker scenes are amazing.  It's just typical super hero action stuff imo :D

2. Avatar -  Avatar is a great movie, with amazing story, unique perspectives and great CGI.  But with that said,  it garnered so much critical acclaim that I kinda don't get it.   It was visually stunning, but, being one of the best selling movies of all time and one of the most critically acclaimed. I'm not sure.  It's very awesome but it always felt like it was lacking something to me.  not sure why. :)

3. Despicable Me -  The minions were everywhere, taking over the world by storm. I have never had a movie make me feel so out of touch and old and in the way lol.  I just never could understand the appeal.  I know many people love these little guys but I could only see a bunch of yellow things that make wierd noises.  The plot was kinda basic child movie bad guy sutff.  But I guess i'm not the movies demographic of 8 year old boys but I think even at that age we 80s and 90s kids had better taste lol.  You know.... Toy Story.    ;D

4. Elf -  I love Will Ferrell so much, he's my favorite comedian in movies.  I love all of his movies and can watch them any day.  He's always hit my funny bone :).   But this one never did it for me the same way as blades of glory or talledega nights.  Elf is kinda more aimed at little kids but with the raunch humor of a Will Ferrell movie.  It didn't blend good to me. 

5. Hostel and Saw -   Their is always those fun party moments when everyone starts running down the fore fathers of horror movie nirvanna, and the classic scenes that define the genre :).   the golden grails of them all.  The Halloweens and the friday the 13ths.  The steven king classics, the George Romero golden gems and the speilberg legends.   Than someone always drops a hostel or a saw.   The two horror movies that came during the drought of good horror movies.  Two gore fests, with no substance, no plot,  no flare and no nostalgia.   They spawned so many copy cats and saw has like 250,938,485,983 sequels.    All of which put me to sleep lol.     

What are some movies that were widly beloved and iconic in pop culture that you couldn't get around to loving as much as everyone else? :D.     

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:37:51 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Avatar, it was so preachy. I felt like I was being shamed by the time it was over.

And Fight Club is seriously the most overrated movie of all-time.

dreama1

bladerunner

turf

PRO Supporter

And Fight Club is seriously the most overrated movie of all-time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this.  I always thought I just didn't get it. 

For my own, I don't like any of the Lord of the Rings movies.  I never read the books.  That may be why, but I just don't like them.  It's just long and drawn out and not my cup of tea.

Most marvel movies that come out, the new star wars movies minus rouge one, the goonies the godfather part 1 even though I still like this

Every single comic book movie ever made

Also another for Blade Runner.  It has top notch design work and audio, these are wonderful, but this is absolutely a dull movie.  I found the sequel far better.

Can't really think of much else.  Transformers? Like they are all just awful, but they are still very successful and popular enough to warrant sequels and spinoffs.  The writing is crap and I hate the Transformer designs.

The Dark Knight Trilogy and Star Wars Episode 8

The dark night movie was so relentlessley grimdark and bleak I felt gross watching it. Sure, I know it's a batman movie, but sheesh.

That series was the worst about it, but i'd say the same about all DC movie. When I watch them I wish they'd just..chill out

Limeface

PRO Supporter

Evil Dead and The Shining. I like horror, but I those two I think are some of the most overrated horror movies I've seen.
Rogue One. I couldn't care less about the characters.
Titanic is a snooze fest.
Sicario is just okay.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Evil Dead and The Shining. I like horror, but I those two I think are some of the most overrated horror movies I've seen.
Rogue One. I couldn't care less about the characters.
Titanic is a snooze fest.
Sicario is just okay.

Absolutely agree on Shining. Drawn-out and boring. I have the same complaint about Stanley Kubrick's 2001 Space Odyssey, too. I guess I'm just not a big fan of his work.

The Thin Red Line. I thought it was boring and it was rather laughably obvious they were on a set at times. I rarely stop watching a movie but I didn't even make it half way through this one.

ferraroso

Inception.

stealthrush

District 9, The Tree of Life, Where the wild things are. 

doafan

Every single comic book movie ever made

+2 also every Star Wars and Indiana Jones films.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy